Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2011, 12:16 PM   #1

Fridge Drain hose

the hose put on at the factory is a joke everything i read about this says you have to remove the fridge to replace it kind of a bit intimadating so i started looking at it and found a way to replace the without removing the fridge pull the little catch basin out from inside the fridge their were little ridges on it i sanded the off and put the new hose on it and slide the whole thing through the hole from the inside worked great
Kevcon62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 02:03 PM   #2

Great idea. I'm having the same problem. The old hose pretty much disintegrated and I've been trying to figure out a way to replace it without pulling fridge.
Thanks.
'07 Cedar Creek Silverback 33LCDTS
'06 Ford F350 Dually

Rysetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:46 PM   #3

You are so right about this flex hose. Very easy to cut apart and each time you remove the plastic cover you risk to damage this cheap hose. Mine on my minilite broke almost right away after I bought the trailer. I am lucky that it broke on the lower part and I was able to install a small insert between the 2 parts for my repair. The hose is really cheap and the companies who supply this flimsy hose should put a recall because of the danger of short circuit in case the hose cut apart mid way and the water can find its way in the electric like the module for exemple. .Another way is to replace the hose with something better during the manufacturing process of the fridg and not after it is in our hands because of the major job involved to replace this hose.
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:59 PM   #4

What I did on my Dometic Ref was to get a section of vinyl tubing that was large enough to fit over the existing drain tube. I slipped it up and over the old tube as far as it would go. It did the trick and the water is draining as it should thru the tube and not into the compartment. I only had to make a larger opening in the vent cover for the new tune to exit.
MOD Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 12:01 AM   #5

I changed mine without removing the fridge. I used 90 degree needle-nose pliers and reached up there by feel and got the old clamp off. Then I replaced with clear vinyl tubing. Took me about 15-20 minutes. I wouldn't say it's easy, but not too bad if you have a little patience. I'd have to say there was barely enough room to reach up there and get it done though.
dlhoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 06:26 AM   #6

Mod guy: I think I will follow your idea and slip a bigger hose over it. Dihoppe was able to do it but the room on mine to reach the top connection is almost impossible I wonder how many rv'ers went into problems with these cheap hoses. My trailer is a 2011.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:34 PM   #7

MOD Guy, that was my plan too, just slip bigger diameter hose up over it. It's much to far up there for me to reach with any tool, I can't even see the top, so pliers are out. Removing the tray gives me another option I'll check when I'm at the RV again.

My hose is so weak, any minor touch breaks it in half. It's literally falling apart. VERY poor parts choice by Dometic.
'07 Cedar Creek Silverback 33LCDTS
'06 Ford F350 Dually

Rysetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 07:43 PM   #8

You know what this hose looks like? the tubing that they use for holding the electrical wires together. Very thin and very easy to break The only difference this hose has is that there is no cutting to insert the electrical wires otherwise it is the same stuff. Should have never been used by any companies and they did it!!!!!!!! if they wanted to use this type of tubing it should have been much more thick and more heavy duty.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:11 PM   #9

Sign of the times.

Cheap to buy, keeps manufacturing costs down, maximizes profits.

That the purchaser ends up with a broken hose within the first year or so is of no importance....to the company that is.

2011 Flagstaff Classic Superlight 831RLBSS "Atrium slide"
Husky Centerline Hitch
2016 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew, Lariat Sport, Max Tow package
great white is offline   Reply With Quote