Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2013, 12:43 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Nigels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 632
Fridge is dead, help please my beer is warm!

2010 Norcold N81X model.

We just started a 2 week trip and fridge green light is on, In auto mode but fridge is warm and no sound of anything running, stays warm for hours the plates don't get cold. So I tried the propane, it goes thru the 30 second ignition and it burns with a blue flame for 15 seconds or so, still clicking then dies. Tried this 5 or 6 times to purge air but after igniting it goes out then both green and orange lights flash at 1 second intervals.

The 2 fuses in the control box are still good. No fuses blown in main panel. There is propane at the stove. Everything worked fine 6 weeks ago when we last used our rig.

Any ideas what I can check and how do I check, this is going to be a miserable two weeks with warm beer!
__________________

__________________
Nigel & Bev
Brit Driver & Canadian Naviguesser

2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8280ws
2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Diesel
http://www.algarvevillaforrent.com
Nigels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:56 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 108
Only thing I can say is are you sure you have full propane tanks? Do you possibly have a leaky hose that has allowed the propane to escape?
Hope you figure it out because warm beer is no good at all!
__________________

__________________
2004 F150 4.6 Griffin tuned
2010 Wildwood 24FBS
johnleann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:01 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Nigels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnleann View Post
Only thing I can say is are you sure you have full propane tanks? Do you possibly have a leaky hose that has allowed the propane to escape?
Hope you figure it out because warm beer is no good at all!
Full tanks, propane at stove, fridge burner burns blue, but fridge will not work on AC either.
__________________
Nigel & Bev
Brit Driver & Canadian Naviguesser

2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8280ws
2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Diesel
http://www.algarvevillaforrent.com
Nigels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:59 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
DAISY BOYKIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: SUNSHINE STATE
Posts: 1,623
Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
The owners manual------------

It shows a 5 amp AC fuse on the circuit board for your model, Did you check it? The manual says if AC voltage is lost, both lights will blink at 1 sec intervals.
__________________
Sid, Lois & HRH MISSY Terrible 2s SHIH TZU
2011 ROCKWOOD 8285 WS
2014 F-250 KING RANCH PS/SD/6R140/BFT
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2017 66 DAYS
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:58 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Sgt. Schultz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 269
This sounds like a critical situation - first move the beer to a portable cooler with ice ... once the beer has returned to a chilled state you may want to review the Norcold document for fault codes and reset options
http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/ncoldnnewnseries.pdf
Good luck
__________________
PT Avenger 33BHS-TE
GMC 2500HD SLE 4x4 Crew Cab 6.0 with 4.10's
Sgt. Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:42 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Brother Les's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: BoCoMo
Posts: 1,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigels View Post
2010 Norcold N81X model.

We just started a 2 week trip and fridge green light is on, In auto mode but fridge is warm and no sound of anything running, stays warm for hours the plates don't get cold. So I tried the propane, it goes thru the 30 second ignition and it burns with a blue flame for 15 seconds or so, still clicking then dies. Tried this 5 or 6 times to purge air but after igniting it goes out then both green and orange lights flash at 1 second intervals.

The 2 fuses in the control box are still good. No fuses blown in main panel. There is propane at the stove. Everything worked fine 6 weeks ago when we last used our rig.

Any ideas what I can check and how do I check, this is going to be a miserable two weeks with warm beer!
Fear no beer, whether cold or warm. It is all good out in the wild.......

http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/reset.pdf
__________________
Brother Les

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:00 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: X
Posts: 2,781
So not a propane problem because the burner lights and burns well. From what you describe about that, it sounds like the spark-electrode/flame-sensor is either not in the flame where it needs to be or the burner assembly (below the flame-sensor) is not properly grounded. You should also try taking sandpaper to the electrode to remove any surface corrosion. The other possibly is a bad control board that is just not sensing the flame.

Of course none of that explains why it won't work on AC.
__________________
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:05 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Nigels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAISY BOYKIN View Post
It shows a 5 amp AC fuse on the circuit board for your model, Did you check it? The manual says if AC voltage is lost, both lights will blink at 1 sec intervals.
Hi Sid, fuse tested okay. By the way FR sent me new countertops for the kitchen, no charge and 18 months out of warranty, I'll post this later!
__________________
Nigel & Bev
Brit Driver & Canadian Naviguesser

2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8280ws
2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Diesel
http://www.algarvevillaforrent.com
Nigels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:09 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Nigels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Schultz View Post
This sounds like a critical situation - first move the beer to a portable cooler with ice ... once the beer has returned to a chilled state you may want to review the Norcold document for fault codes and reset options
http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/ncoldnnewnseries.pdf
Good luck
Thanks Sgt. this is the best advice, got the ice done the move, now that I have had a cold beer and my head is straight again I can get into this pdf. Wow, I must be able to diagnose the problem with this, thanks, if it will stop raining I'll get started.

I will post what I find.
__________________
Nigel & Bev
Brit Driver & Canadian Naviguesser

2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8280ws
2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Diesel
http://www.algarvevillaforrent.com
Nigels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:16 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Nigels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 632
Update

Update.

First mistake was thinking that both the AC and Propane were not working, I misunderstood the fault codes, the AC does work and our fridge is cold. Phew!

The propane side of things does not work and with the aid of the pdf I am getting to know the system. I have two questions that the pdf does not explain, maybe I can find answers here.

When I shut off the AC or put the switch over to Gas, the burner lights and burns with a good blue flame but after 20/30 seconds it cuts the 12 volts to the solenoid gas valve and the burner shuts down. This is the problem, it will not stay lit.

On the canister that wraps around the flue just above the burner there is a temperature sensor for overheating protection, if this has been triggered will it prevent the propane operation as described above whilst not affecting AC operation?

Am I correct in thinking that the Igniter electrode not only lights the gas but also acts as a flame sensor? It certainly lights the gas but could be malfunctioning as a flame sensor and thus cutting the gas flow via the solenoid valve?

Nothing in the pdf about these 2 issues. Any ideas?

Thanks guys.
__________________

__________________
Nigel & Bev
Brit Driver & Canadian Naviguesser

2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8280ws
2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Diesel
http://www.algarvevillaforrent.com
Nigels is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fridge

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:06 PM.