Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2015, 04:45 PM   #1

Fridge working on electricity, but not gas.

Hi all. So, the fridge in my 2014 Viking 17FQ works on electricity, but not gas. I tried running on gas one time last year and it worked. But now it just clicks until the check light comes on.

I've looked online and all the symptoms of the issue I can find are rust and debris related. But that isn't the issue here because I keep the vents covered when not in use so it looks brand new in there. Not even so much as a spider's nest.

It's not a big deal, I always get full hook-up sites, more principal. I'll admit that when I have tried the gas mode, my camper was not level at all. Not sure if that makes all the difference of lighting or not lighting.

Thanks!
CampLife2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 05:13 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampLife2014 View Post
Hi all. So, the fridge in my 2014 Viking 17FQ works on electricity, but not gas. I tried running on gas one time last year and it worked. But now it just clicks until the check light comes on.

I've looked online and all the symptoms of the issue I can find are rust and debris related. But that isn't the issue here because I keep the vents covered when not in use so it looks brand new in there. Not even so much as a spider's nest.

It's not a big deal, I always get full hook-up sites, more principal. I'll admit that when I have tried the gas mode, my camper was not level at all. Not sure if that makes all the difference of lighting or not lighting.

Thanks!
Next time your on level ground light it up. That will eliminate the unlevel ground concern.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 05:31 PM   #3

If it has not been used for a long time there may be air in the gas line. It might take several reset attempts to get it lit.
Old 07-06-2015, 05:38 PM   #4

And, make sure that you have a good battery. The ignitor is 12V. If you don't have a good battery that's what it can do ---- it'll click but never ignite.
bruceatlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 06:22 PM   #5

@bruceatlam My battery isn't good, but I've also tried using the gas while plugged into my house. It clicks but won't light.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:23 PM   #6

@toddupton I've done 3-4 cycles of it clicking before the check light comes on the last time I tried; is that enough?
Old 07-06-2015, 06:30 PM   #7

Might take more depending on how long the gas line run is. You could turn it off and crack the flare fitting until you smell gas then tighten it back up. Just make sure it is turned of just in case. You can also try a long stick lighter and see if the burner will light. That might help narrow down the problem.
Old 07-07-2015, 12:15 AM   #8

Are you following the lighting instructions carefully? Make sure to operate the refer level if on over .5 hours..how about a make and model on fridge?
Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 07:07 AM   #9

Purge gas lines. Light your stove burners to make sure gas is in the lines. Try a couple times on the frig after lighting the stove.
Old 07-07-2015, 07:43 AM   #10

Although the fridge should be reasonably level for any long term use ... level condition has little to do with if the burner lights. Like waiter21 mentioned ... open a gas valve to any burner on your stove until it lights ... this will purge any air from the line and your fridge should light after that. If it still doesn't ... you may have a gas valve solenoid at the fridge issue or something got into the orfice of the burner from say inside the hose or when you attached the line to your tank last time.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 07:55 AM   #11
Mod free 5er

The igniter could be loosing ground, make sure it is tight and grounded.
Old 07-07-2015, 05:05 PM   #12

Mine takes about 6 tries before it will say lit. I just sit and reset it until it stays lit. Lighting a stove burner first helps a lot.
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 01:58 AM   #13

You said your plunged into the house is the through the camper or with a bypass regular extension cord?
It will need 12V to operate.
With a Battery or through camper cord.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Cajun Style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 04:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
Although the fridge should be reasonably level for any long term use ... level condition has little to do with if the burner lights
thrown in for the benefit of any who read the thread at no extra charge...
Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 05:05 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampLife2014 View Post

Thanks!
Make sure the Auto button is pushed to on.

Tags
electric, fridge, gas