Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2013, 02:27 PM   #1

Frig during storage??

We have taken our second weekend trip in our 2014 sierra. One of the last things I do is unpack the frig & wipe it down & turn off & it starts defrosting. It's still dripping as we leave so I laid paper towels in there the first time but closed the doors so they wouldn't bang open with the rv park stores it. We plan on using it every 2-3 weeks. What am I supposed to do so mold isn't in there when we return??? Thank you so much in advance
Moonlighting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 02:36 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Dometic makes these nifty little clips. My Rockwood came with them.

B

2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 02:39 PM   #3
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
Dometic makes these nifty little clips. My Rockwood came with them.

B

Ok, let me play the role of dunce... does anyone have pictures of how these clip in and work?

I didn't know what they were for, so I ran a bungee cord from the freezer shelf to the fridge shelf and it kept the door open.

Our outside dorm fridge was harder to deal with, though...
Old 10-28-2013, 03:17 PM   #4
Denver, CO

The little tab goes into the opening in the latch on the door and hold the door about a inch from closing. there is a picture floating around here somewhere in the forum
Old 10-28-2013, 03:23 PM   #5

I'll have to look into getting one of these. My old Jayco had it built into the fridge door latch, so it would click open a little or fully closed. What I do now, though, is when I get to storage, I go back inside and wedge a towel inside the top of the door to prop it firmly open a little. That works, but that blue thing is a neater fix...

Thanks!
B.

2008 Forest River Micro-Lite 18FBR
2000 Ford Explorer Sports Trac
WBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Ok, let me play the role of dunce... does anyone have pictures of how these clip in and work? I didn't know what they were for, so I ran a bungee cord from the freezer shelf to the fridge shelf and it kept the door open. Our outside dorm fridge was harder to deal with, though...
The user manual shows a series of pictures using the Airing Position Card (official name). I tried to copy pictures from the fridge manual PDF on my iPad to post here, however...

TV - 2013 Silverado 1500, 5.3L
TT - 2012 Wildwood 26 TBSS
mduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:56 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

Page 21 shows how to use it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Dometic Air Position Card.pdf (3.49 MB, 95 views)
Old 10-28-2013, 03:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlighting View Post
We have taken our second weekend trip in our 2014 sierra. One of the last things I do is unpack the frig & wipe it down & turn off & it starts defrosting. It's still dripping as we leave so I laid paper towels in there the first time but closed the doors so they wouldn't bang open with the rv park stores it. We plan on using it every 2-3 weeks. What am I supposed to do so mold isn't in there when we return??? Thank you so much in advance
After you have shut the fridge off and cleaned it out and wiped down, the doors should be kept ajar after every trip, not just for winter storage.
You want the inside ventilated to stop any mold growth and smell.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:07 PM   #9
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by mduff View Post
The user manual shows a series of pictures using the Airing Position Card (official name). I tried to copy pictures from the fridge manual PDF on my iPad to post here, however...
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Page 21 shows how to use it.
Thanks guys. RTFM.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:25 PM   #10

My Dometic 1350 (4-door) comes with a totally different device to keep the door open.

BUT, IMO, you can't leave the fridge like that, door open or not. You need to come back the next day and dry it out. If you can't do that, turn it off way earlier so you can dry it before you leave. With you RV all closed up, I don't think it's going to dry well enough to avoid mold, and may cause mold in the rest of your RV as well.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Thanks guys. RTFM.
LMAO. We bought our first trailer used; no airing position cards. I visited a number of dealers trying to source them and was surprised by the blank looks, and one that thanked me for clearing up (for him) what the blue cards were for!

Old 10-28-2013, 04:31 PM   #12
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
My Dometic 1350 (4-door) comes with a totally different device to keep the door open. BUT, IMO, you can't leave the fridge like that, door open or not. You need to come back the next day and dry it out. If you can't do that, turn it off way earlier so you can dry it before you leave. With you RV all closed up, I don't think it's going to dry well enough to avoid mold, and may cause mold in the rest of your RV as well.
In my limited experience, I haven't seen a hint of problems with letting the fridge air dry. We're only marginally muggy here in MD- maybe areas where it's worse could be problematic.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:33 PM   #13
Mod free 5er

Duct tape and something to hold the door open will work also. Norcold does not have the option. We just leave the doors completely open. Just have to make sure to close them before retracting the slide.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:17 PM   #14

That's a great link, Coot. Btw, those Aircards work real well.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:27 PM   #15

I wondered what that blue thing was for and now I know. Went out today to the barn and opened both frig and freezer doors, although I had defrosted a week before we stored it so it was completely dry. Too bad, I could have used that blue thing.
Hijinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:51 PM   #16

I have always used the ice bucket in the freezer pulled out a little to prop the freezer door open witch in turns keeps the frig door from closing
Chris1304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:36 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hijinks View Post
I wondered what that blue thing was for and now I know. Went out today to the barn and opened both frig and freezer doors, although I had defrosted a week before we stored it so it was completely dry. Too bad, I could have used that blue thing.
Still need the cards to prop open the doors while your TT is stored. If they're closed (doors) you may get a smell in your fridge come spring.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:04 PM   #18
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Still need the cards to prop open the doors while your TT is stored. If they're closed (doors) you may get a smell in your fridge come spring.
X2, big time. Made that mistake the winter of 1976 on our first trailer. Never again. Even tho it was thoroughly cleaned, it had a horrible smell when we opened it after 3 months.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:32 PM   #19

Quote:
I guess that I wasn't clear. I left the doors open. BTW, I only have one card for a 2 door frig. I haven't looked at the instructions yet, but do I need 2 to use them?
Hijinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:22 PM   #20
Professional Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hijinks View Post
I guess that I wasn't clear. I left the doors open. BTW, I only have one card for a 2 door frig. I haven't looked at the instructions yet, but do I need 2 to use them?
One per door, yes.
Or, you could just use a stick with pads on the ends...
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage