Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2011, 07:13 PM   #1

furnace

We ran our furnace the other day and the propane ran out....we switched it over but the furnace is not working....can you help us? Thank you
orsinicathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 07:16 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

You are going to have to get propane back in the lines. Light 1 of the stove burners for a minute or 2, then try the furnace again.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 08:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by orsinicathy View Post
We ran our furnace the other day and the propane ran out....we switched it over but the furnace is not working....can you help us? Thank you
When this happened to me I had to turn the furnace off at the thermostat for a few seconds, then turn it back on to reset it. We have a thermostat that allows us to turn the furnace right off and select fans or AC, not be be confused with turning the temp. down.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:23 PM   #4
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by orsinicathy View Post
The downside to leaving the other bottle closed instead of open and in reserve. The automatic switching regulator would have switched tanks and not skipped a beat.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 10:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
The downside to leaving the other bottle closed instead of open and in reserve. The automatic switching regulator would have switched tanks and not skipped a beat.
Hi Herk, actually the change over did switch. I just was not paying attention at what was going on. So, when my furnace quit, both tanks were out of propane.

Yea, I know. Heard it all from the wife. Thank-you.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:43 PM   #6
flc

Quote:
I do lots of winter rv'ing and used to always leave them both open. Now, unless it is way freezing, I only open one. When it runs out I know I have one empty. I then switch over to a full one and go fill the empty tank.

2013 Bullet 248 RKS (soon)
2012 F150 SuperCrew w/Ecoboost 3.5L
flc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:08 AM   #7
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by flc View Post
I do lots of winter rv'ing and used to always leave them both open. Now, unless it is way freezing, I only open one. When it runs out I know I have one empty. I then switch over to a full one and go fill the empty tank.
Everyone has their own technique.

Some are better than others; ie more downside than upside.

Since even in the coldest days a 30 pound tank will last several days; checking every morning for a red flag does not seem to be such a hassle compared to running out of propane at 3AM and having to go outside to switch tanks in my PJ's and then finding out I need to purge the lines for the furnace to keep running.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:23 AM   #8
Villa Estate 392FLFB

lol i just hooked mine to a 300 liter pig tank :P
Old 09-19-2011, 09:31 AM   #9
flc

Quote:
Everyone has their own technique.
Sure - that's why I enjoy these forums. Guess I'm lucky as my Flagstaff retains heat well enough I have never had to get out of bed. It ran out during the night last year in Kansas when I was up there Pheasant hunting. The weather was way below freezing but the trailer was just a little cool when I woke up. And for some reason I've never had to purge the lines of air for either the heater or water heater. I've been pleased with the insulation in the Flagstaff. It is almost as good as my Arctic Fox 4 season I had several years ago. I like cold weather RV'ing - what I can't stand is the A/C running constantly in the summer. That's why I head to the mountains.

2013 Bullet 248 RKS (soon)
2012 F150 SuperCrew w/Ecoboost 3.5L
flc is offline   Reply With Quote