Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2019, 07:40 AM   #1

Furnace/ac clicking noise

We have a 2016Forest River Cherokee 304r. Recently when we use the furnace we hear a clicking noise in the a/c unit. Furance takes approximately 5mins to start putting out heat then the clicking stops. I removed the ac cover and there is a gray box where the wires go and that seems to be where the noise is coming from. Furnace is Suburban gas and ac is Dometic as is the thermostat. Any ideas?
THELMALOUIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 08:14 AM   #2
Site Team

What is your fan setting on the thermostat?

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 08:26 AM   #3

Auto
Old 01-21-2019, 08:33 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by THELMALOUIE View Post
We have a 2016Forest River Cherokee 304r. Recently when we use the furnace we hear a clicking noise in the a/c unit. Furance takes approximately 5mins to start putting out heat then the clicking stops. I removed the ac cover and there is a gray box where the wires go and that seems to be where the noise is coming from. Furance is Suburban gas and ac is domestic as is the thermostat. Any ideas?
Furnace clicking starts almost immediately after it starts (ignites). Heat is also almost immediately - a few seconds. If it takes 5 minutes, you have a serious problem!!!! Get repairs asap.

No noise should be coming from the AC units (misspoke?). The gas (furnace) heater IS INDEPENDENT with its own ducts too. AC and ducts are at ceiling level and the gas heater is on the floor level.
270S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 08:38 AM   #5

Thanks I'll have it checked out
Old 01-21-2019, 08:48 AM   #6

That sounds like the igniter attempting to start the flame, but failing. It waits a bit and then reattempts. You could have a issue with poor gas flow or a sticking sail switch not opening properly.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 08:50 AM   #7

Thanks I will have it checked out
Old 01-21-2019, 08:57 AM   #8

When checking, the ignitor is obviously operating just fine.

If the propane was off, there needs to be time (not 5 minutes) for it to purge the ambient air from the line (no idea why the line does not stay full of propane - possible leaks from lousy FR design) before the propane reaches furnace, stove, refr, water heater, … I wonder how much is lost during traveling/camping when the main valve is on - never turned off until back home - could be days, weeks or months. Aside from danger, $$ going up (hopefully never in smoke).

I usually have to start the refr 2 or 3 times before it will accept running on propane vs electric. Water heater is similar. The Stove and Heater usually sooner, first or second attempt, probably because they are the closest to the propane tank in my RV.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:58 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270S View Post
Furnace clicking starts almost immediately after it starts (ignites). Heat is also almost immediately - a few seconds. If it takes 5 minutes, you have a serious problem!!!! Get repairs asap.

No noise should be coming from the AC units (misspoke?). The gas (furnace) heater IS INDEPENDENT with its own ducts too. AC and ducts are at ceiling level and the gas heater is on the floor level.
Not always true. Heat pumps are A/C units with heating capabilities. The t-states with these units also control the gas furnaces. If set properly they Furnace will only come on when the outside temp is below about 40 degrees and the heat pump is no longer supplying heat. You are correct in the furnace should not take 5 min to start. Clicking from the A/c unit sounds like a bad contractor. Professional service is recommended. There should be NO clicking at the furnace after it fires up.

Just for clarification, AC = Electric service. A/C = air conditioning..
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 09:04 AM   #10

If you have a Dometic thermostat, try resetting the thermostat. I have a 2018 Grey Wolf that was doing the same thing and resetting the thermostat solved the problem.
Good luck, that gets really annoying.
MillMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 09:06 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Not always true. Heat pumps are A/C units with heating capabilities. The t-states with these units also control the gas furnaces. If set properly they Furnace will only come on when the outside temp is below about 40 degrees and the heat pump is no longer supplying heat. You are correct in the furnace should not take 5 min to start. Clicking from the A/c unit sounds like a bad contractor. The clicking from the furnace is from the ignighter trying to light the gas. 2 different problems. Professional service is recommended.
Let's not get into semantics and confuse the subject. The AC units have electric heat, not gas. On newer units the newer digital thermostat controls temperature selection for both, but the AC unit is not on making heat when the furnace is on. It is an either or. The modes controlled by the thermostat are independent - Cooling Mode (AC only), Heat Pump Mode (AC only), Heat Strip Mode (AC only), or Furnace Mode (Furnace only).

I am willing to learn (if there is), but there is no option to my knowledge that turns on the furnace to assist the AC units with heating.

The AUTO / Low / High is for the fan speed only. It doesn't turn systems on and switch them.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:12 AM   #12

Yes, now that you mentioned it I have done that n the past. Thanks
Old 01-21-2019, 09:17 AM   #13

Quote:
Let's not get into semantics and confuse the subject. The AC units have electric heat, not gas. On newer units the newer digital thermostat controls temperature selection for both, but the AC unit is not on making heat when the furnace is on. It is an either or.
My point was they are if a heat pump is involved the T-stat controls BOTH systems. They are not independent! And yes, if not set correctly the Heat pump fan can run with the furnace on. I have read it happening on this forum many times.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:34 AM   #14

Quote:
Let's not get into semantics and confuse the subject.

The AUTO / Low / High is for the fan speed only. It doesn't turn systems on and switch them.
I believe that in your installation if the fan speed is set to any other setting than AUTO when you select FURNACE the A/C fan will also run with the furnace fan.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 09:36 AM   #15

I do not have a heat pump, wouldn't ever! I tried cut & paste, but it messed up trying to copy a pdf, so here is a jpg using photoshop.

The full manual is attached. If read correctly, at NO time is the furnace turned on when using heat strip or heat pump modes.

My AC turned on last winter when the temperature dropped like it did last night when I had the AC set to 82 degrees. THAT IS A MALFUNCTION in the atrocious thermostat NOT normal operation. I would hazard a guess the furnace coming on in an AC mode (heating or Cooling) is a malfunction, not normal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thermmodes.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	369.3 KB
ID:	195042  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 3316420-XXX CAPACITIVE TOUCH THERMOSTAT.pdf (2.01 MB, 116 views)
Old 01-21-2019, 09:37 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
I believe that in your installation if the fan speed is set to any other setting than AUTO when you select FURNACE the A/C fan will also run with the furnace fan.
Click image for larger version

Name:	What he said in that comment up there (1).jpg
Views:	149
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	195044
Old 01-21-2019, 09:42 AM   #17

If the unit has a heat pump (not straight A/C) installed it is my understanding that the furnace will come on automatically if the ambient temp falls below about 40 something degrees to supplement heating. Therefore the furnace and heat pump operate in unison when HEAT PUMP is selected.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 09:44 AM   #18

FYI, I always run in AUTO.

The fan selector only controls the AC fan, not the heater fan. So if you want the independent AC fan to move air on when the furnace is on, go for it, but the AC trying to do heating or cooling is OFF!.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:45 AM   #19

Quote:
Let's not get into semantics and confuse the subject. The AC units have electric heat, not gas. On newer units the newer digital thermostat controls temperature selection for both, but the AC unit is not on making heat when the furnace is on. It is an either or. The modes controlled by the thermostat are independent - Cooling Mode (AC only), Heat Pump Mode (AC only), Heat Strip Mode (AC only), or Furnace Mode (Furnace only).

I am willing to learn (if there is), but there is no option to my knowledge that turns on the furnace to assist the AC units with heating.

No it's not

Yes there is

Listen to Bubbles. Most of the time he knows what he is talking about!
Old 01-21-2019, 09:49 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
it is my understanding that the furnace will come on automatically if the ambient temp falls below about 40 something degrees to supplement heating
Just that - you thinks it does not make it true. That is why I attached the manual. NO arguing facts, just discuss them. No where have I found the assist feature. If it happens, I will gladly learn, but I have not seen it in writing in a manual. I do not have a heat pump model to go outside and try it either. I don't do trust but verify - only verify.

Tags
noise