Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2013, 05:01 AM   #1

Unhappy Furnace Circuit Board

I have a Rockwood Roo 233S with furnace issues. The blower comes on as normal, the electric pilot fires up and it lights, but it does not stay lit. I thought at first I was not getting propane to the source, but discovered my burners work fine on the cooktop. Someone told me that the problem might be a bad circuit board within the furnace.

Anyone had this problem before? If so, what was the cure for our cold camper. (We discovered the problem 2 weeks ago when it got down to 38 degrees F over night...wife not happy).
Old 06-11-2013, 08:32 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry to hear of your problems. Have you looked at the Suburban furnace manual that's in the 'Library' section of the forum? Here's a link to it... Forest River Forums - Downloads - Furnace - Suburban furnace troubleshooting

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:25 AM   #3
Owner/Operator

The most common cause of a furnace or water heater not operating in colder temperatures, but operating when the ambient temperature is warm, is the LP Regulator.

In cold weather the diaphragm in the regulator can become stiff, limiting the output pressure, which is critical for appliances that draw large amounts of LP. The Gas Valves on items like the furnace and water heater will not open if the supply pressure drops below a certain point. This is a safety design.

The stove burners and oven, which have a very low consumption may operate fine.

The system pressure must be measured with a device (gauge or manometer) designed for the low pressure. Normal pressure gauges will not work.

A "farmers" check of the regulator operation can be done by turning on the stove burners and observing them while you turn on the furnace or water heater. You should see a very slight, momentary, dip in the height of the burner flame and it should quickly return to the original height. If it does not return to the original height, the regulator is suspect.

Also on RVs which have the propane cylinders on both sides (not physically together in one location) there is an additional regulator at the tank opposite the tank where the changeover/regulator is located, and that regulator could be the defective one. You can eliminate that remote regulator by ensuring you are on the changeover side when testing.

RodeoGeorge
All My Modifications are at this link:
https://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ons-36212.html
RodeoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:06 PM   #4

Well, we are at it again. Temps were dropping at night, so Itried the thermostat...and the furnace works fine. My guess is that the heating unit, located directly below the kitchen sink, may have gotten wet from a leak in the drain pipe. Two weeks later, and apparently dry, everything works fine.

Thanks for the input.