Old 10-25-2013, 09:36 AM   #1

Furnace/Co Detector issues

Hi folks this is my first post and I'm hoping you can help me out.

First off we have a 2014 Flagstaff HW27KS. Last night we fired up the heat on in the pup for the first time (windows and ceiling vents closed).

Of course the smoke detector went off because of burning the dust off everything inside.

But what concerned us is the Co detector went off 3-4 times in 1.5 hrs and the inside of the pup smelled like rotten eggs before we gave up and turned the furnance off.

I'm not sure if we have a furnace, propane or Co detector problem. The furnace is a Suburban Furnance. This is our first "new" pup and the first time we have ever used a "furnance" in any camper. It could just be a newbie issue on our part.

We plan on using an electric space heater tonight if needed and then run the furnance tomorrow with windows open to see if it just needs some sort of break in period.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

murphmom43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:47 AM   #2

I would suggest opening the door and vents and try again starting the furnace. As you said it hasn't been run and needs to get the garbage burnt out.
The propane detector is probable smelling some propane that didn't burn.
Try is a few times with open door and if its just a dirt issue it should clear up. If it continues to smell propane(rotten eggs) get it to the dealer.

The good news is your propane detector is working and it automatically shuts down the gas valve.
Good luck.

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:06 AM   #3

I had a similar issue last night. I have been living full time in the fifth wheel for about a month or two now and had no issues with propane until last night.

Last night, the furnance kicked on, which it had done several times prior to last night, but was blowing cold air. I realized that the one propane tank that was open was empty. So, went out and turned the empty tank off. I turned the full tank on. I then head to bed. About 30 minutes later, the LP detector went off. I noticed a mild propane smell. I decided to just go out and turn the other propane tank off. So, at that point, both tanks were turned off. The LP detector went off about 3 more times that night. I ended up turning on the ceiling fan and opening a vent and that did the trick. However, it was cold in the morning when I woke up!

Any ideas as to what I may have done wrong or what could be happening???
- See 'ya on the road! Typically on 146.520 for the other traveling hams!
farrelltravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by farrelltravis
I had a similar issue last night. I have been living full time in the fifth wheel for about a month or two now and had no issues with propane until last night.

Last night, the furnance kicked on, which it had done several times prior to last night, but was blowing cold air. I realized that the one propane tank that was open was empty. So, went out and turned the empty tank off. I turned the full tank on. I then head to bed. About 30 minutes later, the LP detector went off. I noticed a mild propane smell. I decided to just go out and turn the other propane tank off. So, at that point, both tanks were turned off. The LP detector went off about 3 more times that night. I ended up turning on the ceiling fan and opening a vent and that did the trick. However, it was cold in the morning when I woke up!

Any ideas as to what I may have done wrong or what could be happening???
I and others have had false alarms due to numerous airborne deoderants and other gases. The real McCoy won't clear the alarm so easy.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:57 AM   #5

Another source for me has been a poorly pilot light in the oven. When flickers does not burn completely.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace