Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2019, 09:46 AM   #1

Furnace does not shut off

The only way to shut off furnace is to pull the fuse. Blower and furnace stays running and heating. I have replaced the thermostat but still won’t shut off. What else should I check. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Bigdog6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 09:55 AM   #2

High limit is bad.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:05 AM   #3

Thanks I’ll try that first.
Old 02-09-2019, 12:38 PM   #4

I would check the wires between the thermostat and furnace. If you have a short in this wire, the furnace will see it as the thermostat being closed and needing heat.
BarabooBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 01:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddupton View Post
High limit is bad.
high limit won't cause his issues
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 01:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarabooBob View Post
I would check the wires between the thermostat and furnace. If you have a short in this wire, the furnace will see it as the thermostat being closed and needing heat.
X2
Old 02-09-2019, 02:14 PM   #7

A bad high limit will make the blower run non stop.
Old 02-09-2019, 02:59 PM   #8

How long?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdog6 View Post
The only way to shut off furnace is to pull the fuse. Blower and furnace stays running and heating. I have replaced the thermostat but still won’t shut off. What else should I check. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
How long are you waiting for it to stop? The Suburban furnace control board immediately shuts the gas off when the thermostat is satisfied or you move the switch to OFF, but the blower will continue to run for two minutes. This serves two purposes:
  1. One blower scavenges the last heat from the furnace and uses it to heat the trailer.
  2. The other blower purges any unburned propane from the firebox so you don't get a POP when it ignites the next time.

You can't hear the propane shut off, but you certainly can hear the blower. I wonder if you are not waiting long enough.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 03:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
high limit won't cause his issues
True

A defective high limit switch would not cause the burners to stay on, it would keep the fan running continuously after the burners have shut down.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 220 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre with Tow Package

Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 03:20 PM   #10

I had same problem on my Sabre. There furnace thermostat control wires pass through a control box in my ceiling AC. They were both stripped way back where they were connected to a terminal strip. Over time and vibration they engaged each other
SimchaSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 04:43 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
It would help a lot if you told us the make & model of the furnace and especially the make & model of the thermostat.

There are several different furnace makes and several ways that the thermostat controls the furnace.
Old 02-09-2019, 05:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddupton View Post
A bad high limit will make the blower run non stop.
A bad hi limit will break the circuit and shut the flame down OP says it keep heating . if it failed closed which would be one in a hundred million it would still be controlled by the T-stat . Op's problem lies in the T-stat wiring , T-stat or control board .
Old 02-09-2019, 05:33 PM   #13

The minute I put the fuse in, the blower will start and never shut off I have let it run for 30 minutes plus only way I can get it to stop is pull the fuse . No matter how low I set the thermostat the furnace and blower will not shut off.
Old 02-09-2019, 05:35 PM   #14

I’ll check the wires from thermostat for short thanks for you’re help
Old 02-09-2019, 05:37 PM   #15

Suburban sf-30f
Thermostat is a digital Honeywell. Will have to check model
Old 02-09-2019, 05:49 PM   #16

Quote:
The minute I put the fuse in, the blower will start and never shut off I have let it run for 30 minutes plus only way I can get it to stop is pull the fuse . No matter how low I set the thermostat the furnace and blower will not shut off.
Does it continue to blow hot air the whole time?

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 220 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre with Tow Package

Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 05:50 PM   #17

Quote:
So the Flame is also going not just the blower? did you check the t-stat wires that are tied with the furnace wires which are blue ? need to do a countinuity check on the T-stat wires at the t-sat and the furnace with they go into the board
Old 02-09-2019, 06:42 PM   #18

I've had this happen to me 2x. Once on the first night we used it in Ohio. The second was a few weeks ago. We had to pull the fuse. The thermostat said it was "off" but it would just keep heating and blowing. After pulling the fuse and waiting till the next morning... (it was so cold!!) I said the heck with it and put the fuse back in. It ran great from then on out until about 2-3 weeks ago where it did the same thing. Pulled fuse, waiting a few hours, put it back in. So dunno... if you have the same problem. But mine seems to work fine now. It's like it has to reset or something. This a new TT? Ours was spanking new on day one when it happened to us.

James
2012 Ram 2500HD 6.7L Cummins
Equal-i-zer 4 Point Hitch
stormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 07:48 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondocking View Post
Does it continue to blow hot air the whole time?
Yes it does
Old 02-09-2019, 07:50 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
So the Flame is also going not just the blower? did you check the t-stat wires that are tied with the furnace wires which are blue ? need to do a countinuity check on the T-stat wires at the t-sat and the furnace with they go into the board
K I’ll check the wires out tomorrow
Thanks

Tags
furnace