Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2012, 02:12 PM   #1

Furnace on Surveyor

Hello All, I need help... I have a Surveyor SP224T 2012 and am wondering is the furnace usable with electricity. The dealer tour was less than helpful and we are now wondering how to run furnace. Is it only propane operated. Can it run on electricity? If so how do I go about setting up furnace? Can someone help me??
Anjuleth12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 02:21 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hello, and to the forums. Hope you enjoy the stay, and learn a lot, and can teach others what you already know.

To give a sort answer, furnace requires propane to make heat, and 12 volts to run the fan. Don't expect more than one night on your battery without being plugged in to shore power.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:33 PM   #3
Site Team

yep, furnace is only propane with the ignition and fan run by the 12v battery.
plugging into shore power will not run or fire the furnace, it will only recharge the battery so it can do this.

most people buy a ceramic electric heater, with the safety shutoff switch, for when they have electric hookups.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:39 PM   #4

This is generic description of RV furnace operation and applies to most DSI (direct spark ignition) type furnaces.
1. The Thermostat calls for heat, sending DC (12 volt) current to the furnace.
2. A Time Delay Relay is energized and passes battery DC power to the blower motor.
3. The blower motor and fans spin, pulling air from the Air Return and generating a stream
of air through the Heat Exchanger and out the Ducts. At the same time another fan pulls
air from the Combustion Air Intake into the Combustion Chamber and out the Exhaust.
4. The fan air stream causes the Sail switch to close as the blower gets near full speed.
5. Power flows to the High Limit Switch and onward to the Control Circuit Board.
6. The Control Circuit Board opens the gas valve and generates a spark at the DSI Igniter.
7. The Burner ignites, building heat in the Combustion Chamber.
8. Heat passes through the Heat Exchanger, warming the air circulating through the Ducts.
9. The Thermostat reaches the Set Temperature and opens.
10. Power is removed from the Control Board and the Burner shuts down.
11. The fan continues to run to cool the furnace, until the Time Delay Relay opens again.
For a Pilot Light model of furnace, the operation is similar but ignition does not depend on a
control board to trigger an igniter. Once the pilot is lit (manually), it stays lit and is the ignition
source. The furnace cycles on/off by control of the gas flow alone, with the gas valve opening or
closing in response to the thermostat demand.
An RV furnace runs strictly on 12 volt power (12 VDC) and does not depend on shore power or
generator to operate. As long as the RV’s batteries have sufficient voltage and amps, and there is
a supply of propane to produce heat, the furnace will function.
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:12 AM   #5

Thanks

Just a quick Thank You to Windrider,Bikendan and Twisty for the info on furnace. What you guys have told me is what I thought just wasn't sure if I was missing something...Off to the hardware store I goto purchase a decent heater. Thanks Dudes.....
Anjuleth12 is offline   Reply With Quote