Old 11-03-2011, 10:22 PM   #11

If the igniter is clicking but the burner is not igniting, I don't believe the problem is with the thermostat. This type of problem usually has to do with the gas supply or the gas/air mix.

Sometimes the gas line gets an air pocket and doesn't flow like it should. A common trick is to ignite a few burners on the gas stovetop, then try to ignite the furnace again. Like was mentioned before, it has a lockout after a few unsuccessful tries so read your manual to reset too.

Gas/air mix can affect it to. The propane won't burn all by itself, it requires air mix in to ignite. Sometimes spiderwebs or debris in the tube can impact proper air mix.

There are thermocouples that are safety devices in the furnace too, a defective one of these can prevent ignition.

I would begin my search elsewhere than at the thermostat. Start with full tanks and the switchover valve ( if equipped) in the right position. Then confirm gas is making it to the burner pipe, then confirm air is able to mix, and so on.

Old 11-04-2011, 01:19 PM   #12

Thanks, that makes sense that it's not the thermostat. the heater is making the clicking noise indicating its trying to kick on so thermostat did its part. Just talked to our repair guys ( we are under warranty since trailer is only about 2 months old) and they are going to look into things more closely this time. We'll mention air/gas mix issue to them. Thanks again.

Old 11-04-2011, 01:24 PM   #13

Hi Linda - Thanks for your reply. Hope your heater fires up this weekend too, so annoying at 3am to be messing with these things. I'll let you know what our repair guys find. They aren't going to look at it until next week at the earliest as we are not going out again until Dec.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindaburnette View Post
Macster, no, we just tried the heat the following morning and it worked fine so we didn't take the camper in to be checked. We are camping again this weekend( our last trip of the year!) and I am in hopes that the heat functions correctly. Or, it will be a cold weekend. If it does this again we are definately taking it in to be checked. I think we are planning to bring a small electric heater, just to be on the safe side.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:38 PM   #14

There are multiple safe ways built in to propane tanks and their user groups. Propane tanks are designed if opened to quickly such as a valve fracture or failure not to allow fule out. Heater have multiple safety element also. There is a sail switch that has to "prove" before it will allow propane to flow for heating. If your battery is to low and the fan speed not high enough, forget it. There are also high temp limits that can cause problems that will cycle so as not to over heat the heater if these are defective, once again not gas and no heat. Raising and lowering the stat many times does nothing. IF the weather is to cold outside (Idoubt you saw this) propane will not vaporize hence it will not burn. Sometimes if the tanks are overfilled and you get the liquid it will not burn.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:52 PM   #15

Thanks for your response Fourn3833 - perhaps over filled propane or other problems with tanks as they are new and untested except we have been using the stove top without issue, so maybe the actual line from propane to the heater.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:40 PM   #16

I have had the exact same problem with my first time out with brand new popup and have a suggestion.

It was the Madien voyage of our hw277 this year and was getting into the 40's that night. Same problem- clicking but no ignition then it would turn off. That was a cold night. The next day (after a few beers and angry phone call to dealer who was no help) I "accidentally" pulled of the front cover to the thermostat which revealed another little pointer switch. It adjusts the timing on how long it tries to light the pilot until it shuts off the gas. Can't remember which way I turned it but it lit immediately when I tried it again!

So- remember where that thing is set and fiddle with it a bit.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 03:39 PM   #17

Thanks Hondaman174 - We'll look at that, would be nice if it turns out to be something simple like that is our problem. Incidentally, we tow with a Honda Ridgeline, pulls well for a 6 cylindar. I see you have a Honda Pilot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDAMAN174 View Post
I have had the exact same problem with my first time out with brand new popup and have a suggestion.

It was the Madien voyage of our hw277 this year and was getting into the 40's that night. Same problem- clicking but no ignition then it would turn off. That was a cold night. The next day (after a few beers and angry phone call to dealer who was no help) I "accidentally" pulled of the front cover to the thermostat which revealed another little pointer switch. It adjusts the timing on how long it tries to light the pilot until it shuts off the gas. Can't remember which way I turned it but it lit immediately when I tried it again!

So- remember where that thing is set and fiddle with it a bit.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:33 PM   #18

I'm getting more comfortable with towing with the pilot myself. But being that this is our first trailer- it has highs and lows. Done alot of high altitude camping and it struggles with the weight of the trailer. Took our first long distance highway jaunt for camping last weekend and was very impressed. Hope it does well for you too.

Let me know about your furnace outcome.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:44 AM   #19

Furnace

I have a Rockwood Signature Ultralight with a Saburban furnace. We just got back from camping in North Georgia and had a problem with the furnace. It would click like it was going to start but then the fan would not engage so it did not go through the sequence of starting. I called our dealer and the tech talked me through a reset procedure that worked. If you ake off the front grill and then the metal front cover, there is an on-off switch on the side where the wires go in. It should be in the on position. Reach in and shut it off and back on. Try this a couple of times. If this does not work, there is a round flush dot on the front that is a reset button. Push that in and hold it a few seconds. I had to do a combination of these steps to get it to work but eventually it did. Also, if yours is like mine, there are round metal punch outs on the side that come out when you turn them to allign the tab. This allows you to get your hand along side the furnace. Do all this with the furnace on. Good luck.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:27 AM   #20

Howdy!

we have a 2011 Flagstaff 5th wheel and had the same problems with the furnace not restarting.

We found out that we had to reset our thermostat all the way down, and then set it to the desired temp. If we moved the thermostat after the furnace had ignited, it would not re-fire.

We are full timers now (since January 2011) and made it through a lot of Colorado Mountain Cold weather.

Happy camping!

May not work for all, but it worked on ours, lol!