Old 10-12-2011, 09:01 PM   #1

Furnace pilot light clicking but not lighting

We turned on our furnace for the first time this past weekend and at first, the furnace pilot ignited ok and it ran for several minutes until the temperature in the camper met what we had the thermostat set at. Then, it seemed that after that, when the furnace would try and ignite the pilot, we could see it flicker and hear it clicking but it would not stay on. So, we started messing with the thermostat, increasing the temp, to see if it would finally ignite. It never did again until we retried the next morning. Are these furnaces sensitive to multiple retries at lighting? Note: We also lite the stove and turned both outside tanks to "on" just in case, although the camper and both tanks are new and should have plenty of propane available.
Does anyone know if there is a trick to this, or if we needed to wait some time before retrying to ignite? It was pretty chilly in the mountains of NC last weekend and we were frusterated with the heat situation and our lack of knowledge. With electric ignite we assumed we only needed to turn the wall thermostat on "furnace" and set the thermostat to the desired temp... any info is appreciated!
Many thanks

Old 10-12-2011, 10:49 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Never assume a new camper has full propane tanks. a 30 poun propane tank will weight about 72 pounds when full. Only way to know. Other than that, can't help much. No tricks, the furnace should run.

2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:40 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Have you tried it now that you are home?
Old 10-13-2011, 09:27 AM   #4

Windrider: Thank you for your reply. Have you ever used those gadgets that show you a visual( gauge) of the level of propane in the tank? We saw those at the camper store but they were pretty expensive and we thought maybe unnecessary since we have two tanks and they are supposed to automatically switch to the full one when the other one becomes empty. Just wondered about that gadget?
Old 10-13-2011, 09:29 AM   #5

F1100TURBO: No. But it's a good idea. We will do it and I will post the results. I expect we may need some heat again next weekend.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:10 AM   #6

there is a lock out after multiple tries. this should reset after a few minutes of no power to the furnace.
i would look at why it tried and couldn't. u may want to check out ur supply. there are several safeties associated with the supply.

when i purchased my trailer, the tanks had some propane in them but they were far from full.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:23 PM   #7

Thermostat - Heater problems

Hi Linda B - I am following up even though it is now November because we are having the same exact problem. Your description describes what happened to us last weekend in northern Arizona. This same thing happenened to us in late Sep. also on our first trip out in our brand new TT (Surveyor SP210) The propane tanks were definately full both times. After the September trip problems, the RV maintenance guys checked out the furnace and said "yup it fires up" and confirmed tanks had propane in them also. We are under warranty, but before we let these geniuses back in our camper we are doing a bit of research. We may just change out the thermostat but want to make sure the thermostat is the problem. So we took it out last weekend and when furnace first is turned on the furnace does fire up properly but then shuts off when gets up to temp on thermostat which it should, so that's fine. But then as the night goes on temp dropped to 61 degrees in trailer ( we brought separate thermometer to check this) and furnace doesn't turn on even though set at about 74. We even turned it way up to 85 and it would just make clicking noise like trying to turn on but wouldn't fire on. Finally after several tries turning off and on I think we were probably locked out. very strange. we watched the guy top off our propane tanks and all other appliances running on propane work properly so propane tank level does not appear to be problem. Did you ever come up with a fix?? Any ideas out there?
Old 11-03-2011, 02:36 PM   #8

Sounds like it may be the board in side the furnace. Reminds me of last month when i picked up my nephews new roo we camped in it the same night down the street from RVW just to make sure everything was working fine well it was cold and raining so we got setup and turned on the heat the furnace blowing fine but would shutdown and not start even if we turned the thermostat to 80 so never the less we called RVW and explained the situation they sent out two guy's that were there in about 10 Min's to make a long story short they could not resolve the issue either and replaced the whole furnace. But they did say that the problem was the board and that it was common for them to go.
Prodigy Brake Controller
Equal-i-zer WD Hitch
2003 Harley FXDX Super Glide
browne02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 03:26 PM   #9

Thanks Browne02 - Wow - that is not good news. Glad it's under warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by browne02 View Post
Sounds like it may be the board in side the furnace. Reminds me of last month when i picked up my nephews new roo we camped in it the same night down the street from RVW just to make sure everything was working fine well it was cold and raining so we got setup and turned on the heat the furnace blowing fine but would shutdown and not start even if we turned the thermostat to 80 so never the less we called RVW and explained the situation they sent out two guy's that were there in about 10 Min's to make a long story short they could not resolve the issue either and replaced the whole furnace. But they did say that the problem was the board and that it was common for them to go.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:09 PM   #10

Heater issues

Macster, no, we just tried the heat the following morning and it worked fine so we didn't take the camper in to be checked. We are camping again this weekend( our last trip of the year!) and I am in hopes that the heat functions correctly. Or, it will be a cold weekend. If it does this again we are definately taking it in to be checked. I think we are planning to bring a small electric heater, just to be on the safe side.