Old 12-05-2011, 04:04 PM   #1

Furnace Problems in 2008 Rockwood

I've got a 2008 Rockwood, 8280SS, 5th Wheel that's developed a problem with the furnace. Out of the blue the furnace no longer will stay on. It starts, lights, and runs for about 8 min with nice hot air and then shuts off. It will come back on only if I change the switch from Furnace to Off and then back to Furnace OR change the Temp Setting all the way up to 90 and then back down again. Changing the Temp Setting just slightly upward a little at a time doesn't do it. While camping a couple of weeks ago on a cold night I continued to change the Furnace/Off switch but it didn't stay on. The next night I chnged the switch a couple of times and it finally worked fine all night the 2nd night. I noticed my rig doesn't have a Suburban Thermostat but is a Duo Therm by Dometic. I'm making an assumption that my problem is with my Thermostat (or one of the switches) and not the furnace itself since it starts, lights and produces hot air for awhile. Any suggested solutions? I just joined this Forum so forgive me if this is a repeat from the past.

Old 12-05-2011, 05:24 PM   #2

By your description,I too am thinking the problem is in your thermostat, though you may have a whacky hi-limit switch. It'll be interesting to find out what is causing your headache...Let us know when you find the fix.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:03 PM   #3

I was just now talking with a neighbor here at the RV park and he was experiencing the same symptoms with his furnace as you described. It ended up being his furnace wasn't bolted down at the factory resulting in the heat runs shaking loose of the pluntum/bonnet. The heat from the furnace never made it out of the furnace area overheating the hi-limit switch and shutting it down.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:15 PM   #4

Very Interesting

Oh, Wow, that's interesting. Now for my question as a rookie at something like this. Do I access the furnace from underneath to see if my furnace too has been loose all this time and the connection to the heat runs are no longer secure? I've been pretty successful at fixing minor "stuff" on this camper and would like to give this a try first if it's something I could do. Thanks very much for your fast replies.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:25 PM   #5

Sorry, I have no idea where your furnace is or how it's accessed. Look around, I bet you can figure it out....or....someone with a 2008 Rockwood, 8280SS can give you direction. If all else fails, give Forrest River Support a call in the morning and they'll help you out.

Forrest River Customer Service
574 206 7600

Ron Ross
574 825 8602
Old 12-05-2011, 07:40 PM   #6

Your Answer Made the Light Go On

Boyd, as soon as I read your last reply about looking around I believe the obvious was right in front of me. My furnace on this Rockwood model is directly below my stove/range. I'll bet I'll have the access to my furnace that I need by pulling out the stove/range. I'll confirm this before I jump into that but appreciate your phone numbers for FR Customer Spt. I believe this is certainly worth looking into (and less expensive) before I go replacing my thermostat. Thanks again!
Old 12-05-2011, 08:04 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

You should have some limited access to the furnace by removing the intake grill below the oven.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:48 PM   #8

I had a similar problem with the furnace in my Wildcat two years ago and after replacing the thermostat the problem was resolved.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 12:11 PM   #9

Replacing My Thermostat

I'm leaning toward replacing my thermostat. Are there digital models out there that will easily replace my analog stat? If so (or not) where's the best place to look for a replacement stat, either digital or analog, Lowe's, Home Depot, other??
Old 12-06-2011, 12:42 PM   #10
Moderators' Assistant

A simple search on thermostat, on any RV forum, will get you lots of info and pics.
RV.net has the best info on thermostat upgrades, Hunter being the most popular.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote