Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2013, 11:27 AM   #1

Furnace question

I needed to run the furnace this past weekend, first time ever actually. Unit is 15 months old. Crusader 5th wheel. 35K BTU Atwood
It kicked on with no problem but I noticed very little air flow from the registers. I went to look at the fan to see if it was spinning and found it was. But then I noticed that the burner would only stay lit in intervals of about 3-4 seconds. And there was a lot of hot air coming out of the vent to the atmosphere. It seemed to me that there should be some air flow from the vent but not as much as there was. If that air were directed inside I would expect it would be plenty to warm the camper.
I can't see the fan flow connection to the duct and I didnt go so far as to pull the furnace out of it's cubicle. So I guess it could be disconnected from the duct. I wanted to get some advice first.

Question is; Has anyone had similar experience and how was it resolved.
Pirogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:52 AM   #2

Did you put one of those bug screens over the outside vent? The manufacturer says not to do that.

I have one on when it's in storage but take it off for winter camping. We had an unexpected cold snap last time out, I hadn't taken the screen off, and my furnace wouldn't stay lit. (Happily, our electric "fireplace" took up the slack.)

Yes, there will be a LOT of hot air coming out of the outside vent. That's where all of the combustion gases go.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:00 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
Did you put one of those bug screens over the outside vent? The manufacturer says not to do that.

I have one on when it's in storage but take it off for winter camping. We had an unexpected cold snap last time out, I hadn't taken the screen off, and my furnace wouldn't stay lit. (Happily, our electric "fireplace" took up the slack.)

Yes, there will be a LOT of hot air coming out of the outside vent. That's where all of the combustion gases go.
We have one on our furnace and it doesn't seem to bother the furnace. Didn't know the mfg frowned on them. Learn something every day.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:10 PM   #4

The hot air coming outside are the fumes and are very warm(great for warming hands when outside) But in no case ever be directed into the camper. Those are toxic and should be checked out. (could be leaking into camper). Sounds like u got a leak from the fan somewhere, those ducts should be blowing air not barely noticeable. Also my furnace does not like to run on battery power at all, turns off every couple of minutes.
sprayking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:10 PM   #5

Perhaps the mesh in your screen is more open.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:19 PM   #6

Just curious if all the ducts are clear and open...?

2006 F350 6.0 with 3.73 gears, 4X4, Extra-Cab Long Box, Oil/Tranny/P.S. Coolers. Coolant filter. SCT Livewire.
2011 Cedar Creek 36RE, Auto levelers + too much to list..!
puff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:25 PM   #7
Site Team - Lou

Also check for a tear in the duct under the floor.
They are just thin Mylar plastic over a big spring.
You could be dumping heat in your storage area.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:41 PM   #8

I had the plenum pretty much disconnect itself on our 2005 Rockwood. On mine you could pull the front cover and see. I was getting no heat to the bedroom and using a lot of propane. After reworking it the bedroom was toasty and propane usage went way down.
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:26 AM   #9

Ok; I do have a bug screen, I can't imagine how that can affect the operation but it is esay enough to remove and try. The duct in the storage compartment is aluminum and there is no leakage there. Not sure about the rest of the duct though as far as under the floor. I will try to research that further. It does seem like the duct is definitly not connected properly from the fan or possibly damaged somewhere. The rapid cycling that is going on is confusing, may have more than one problem. I appreciate the feed back and will ultimately get to the bottom of this problem and will share results when I have them.
Thanks friends.
Pirogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:36 AM   #10

Our trailer (2608ws) goes in Wednesday, we have no air to the kitchen and living area and the air to the bathroom and bedroom is low flow. The dealer is going to drop the belly cover as ours has a floor plenum and hoses under the trailer. They are thinking disconnected or crushed air tubes. Hopefully they will take pictures, we roasted in the bedroom and froze in the kitchen one night as the thermostat would not get enough heat to turn off. We are running an electric heater for now.
Dabmeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabmeb View Post
Our trailer (2608ws) goes in Wednesday, we have no air to the kitchen and living area and the air to the bathroom and bedroom is low flow. The dealer is going to drop the belly cover as ours has a floor plenum and hoses under the trailer. They are thinking disconnected or crushed air tubes. Hopefully they will take pictures, we roasted in the bedroom and froze in the kitchen one night as the thermostat would not get enough heat to turn off. We are running an electric heater for now.
Well an update, got the trailer back and they found a cut heat pipe under the shower area. They fixed it and it is not congested and asthmatic any more but I can still pass gas harder than the furnace blows. I guess it's time for some home surgery now. May as well as all the support strips under the trailer were not screwed back into the cross frames but only into the plastic under belly and are now falling off. Hopefully everything else got fixed?
Dabmeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:55 AM   #12

Well got tired of no heat and started searching. Pulled the trim panel off and the end cover for the furnace fell off. The screw clips where broken. Sealed all the joints and duct taped the cover back on. Now we have lots of air flow in the trailer.
Just as a note, the breaker for the electric jack is behind the trim panels and both terminals had worked loose. The jack works so much better now

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1030690204.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	36429

Name:	image-781669674.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	36431

Name:	image-855291825.jpg