Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2012, 03:05 AM   #1

furnace quit working

Out camping tonight. After getting set up, furnace ran great. Had no problem last time out either. Now nothing. Noticed gas selector switch wasn't all the over on the front of trailer, only half way. Furnace ran fine for 3 hours, and cooked dinner on grill that way. Turned it all the way over to that tank, both tanks are new and full.

Blower comes on, but wont lite. Tried to purge line of possible air by running grill (ties in to gas line right after furnace line), also ran the range (last thing in gas line. Still nothing. Cycled the furnace about 20-30 times, giving 5 minute brakes some times.

Tried turning all power off by unplugging to electric and disconnecting battery. Let sit for 5-8 minutes thinking their may be a reset. Still no flame. Wife and daughter got cold, I gave up and we drove home at 130am. Any ideas?

I didn't take burner access door off, but didn't see anthing in burner observation window.

If I'm not getting a spark, do I need to replace electrode. Don't know if I'm getting a spark or not, just thinking out loud.

Worked fine last time out, was working fine for 3 hours. Then nothing. Any help would be greatly apprieciated.
bpgast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:44 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

It sounds like you've done all the normal troubleshooting without success so it must be a problem with the igniter or detector, something like that. It's not something that us campers usually mess with. You'll need a furnace tech to sort it out. Is the camper still under warranty?

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:48 PM   #3

Our's did the same thing and the dealer replaced the Limit Switch but it could also be the Sail Switch, the problem is testing them you need to pull the furnace. Unless you're comfortable doing this and and have ohmmeter it's probably best to take it in to your dealer.
Old 10-20-2012, 01:19 PM   #4

Sadly, it's not under warranty (2009) and I am second owner.

That's what I was afraid of, looks like a trip to a dealer. Thanks for the replies.

I did learn something, always take a back up plug in heater. Something new every trip.
bpgast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:30 PM   #5

I think a lot of people use electric heaters as their primary source of heat, saves gas and you're paying for the electricity.
Old 10-20-2012, 02:15 PM   #6
Arn
Arn

Possibly just a loose or broken wire. Trailers bounce a lot going down the road so this is a very common problem. Turn off electricity & look/feel around all wires on your furnace.