Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2015, 10:52 AM   #1

Furnace troubles

We have a Suburban furnace that we are having some troubles with. In the mornings we will turn the thermostat up to kick the furnace on and it will start and then fairly shortly it will shut off. Kind of like it overheats or it thinks it all ready reached the set temp. We wait a little while and reset the thermostat and it will do the same thing again. Then after about 6 or 7 tries it will eventually will run normal all day long. Can the thermostat be the cause of this or should we look at something else?
audrobcroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 07:03 AM   #2

when you state fairly shortly, are you talking about 7 seconds after ignition? if so the board may not be sensing a flame. could be probemalignment or a bad board...
Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 08:06 AM   #3

Agree with Crockett, bad thermostat, connection, igniter, or clogged furnace ports. If you are handy and can handle maintenance of the furnace itself, you can do some probing, otherwise, I would take it in. In a simple thought like Crockett said it might be a connection. If you can get to your furnace try blowing it out with an air tool. Good luck
Total Bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 08:13 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by audrobcroft View Post
We have a Suburban furnace that we are having some troubles with. In the mornings we will turn the thermostat up to kick the furnace on and it will start and then fairly shortly it will shut off. Kind of like it overheats or it thinks it all ready reached the set temp. We wait a little while and reset the thermostat and it will do the same thing again. Then after about 6 or 7 tries it will eventually will run normal all day long. Can the thermostat be the cause of this or should we look at something else?
Yes the stat could be the problem, try and turn it up to the highest degree and see if it stays on. If it still has a problem could be the board. Analog stats are famous for that. If it's digital then you should only have a plus or minus of 1 degree.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 11:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockett View Post
when you state fairly shortly, are you talking about 7 seconds after ignition? if so the board may not be sensing a flame. could be probemalignment or a bad board...
It will stay on for like 5 minutes then shut off. Like it thinks it reached the temperature all ready.
audrobcroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 11:49 AM   #6

Well, again, this is something that needs to be probed. How old is the camper? How is it stored? Steps can be taken by opinion, but that does not give the answer. Check on u-tube for furnace maintenance, good info.
Total Bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 01:57 PM   #7

make sure all the ducts are unobstructed. could be that the high temp limit is cycling. can you get to the back of the furnace and pull the cover? try running it withit off to see if it will continue to run
Old 03-01-2015, 02:09 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to B and B
My Money on the thermostat. In my trailer that caused short cycle.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 02:17 PM   #9

does it have the bi metal thermostat? excessive draw could cause the anticipator to heat too quickly. just bypass the thermostat to check...
Old 03-26-2015, 08:05 PM   #10

My suburban NP 30st doesn't light every time. My 5 wheel is a 2013 8289 WS. The furnace works intermittently. For example while we were in Santa Fe N M for 3 days it worked perfect. Got to Arizona and now I set the thermostat and hear the fan come on (shore power) in about 10-12 seconds I hear the igniter click once, I wait and no heat, then the fan shuts down. I slide the t-stat up on temp and sometimes nothing sometimes the same episode occurs with no heat. I had switched from one propane tank to the other side. So I filled the empty and switched back. No difference. Now if I push on the temp slide of the t-stat it will click and initiate the igniter sometimes there is heat not always. The t-stat is a Coleman-Mack (black). Could this be the problem?
mbwilliie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 09:26 AM   #11

where is the furnace located at on a 2004 shamrock
lillian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace