Old 06-01-2015, 07:34 AM   #1

Furnace wants to run

I went outside last night to close up everything for the night and noticed the fan was running on the furnace on my trailer. I'm replacing the thermostat because 2 weeks ago the igniter was trying to light the furnace on it's own. The old analog thermostat has been set to off in both instances. The only way I could shut the fan off in the thermostat was to pull the fuse in the converter. Which is no problem this time of year except some genius wired the furnace and refrigerator to the same circuit. It's an Attwood furnace. I would take it back to the dealer but we have a trip planned next week and don't want to cancel because the furnace is acting up in June in Georgia. Really not needed. I'm hoping the thermostat is going to solve the problem but if not I guess the next thing to do is disconnect the power at the furnace. Am I on the right track? Does this sound like a thermostat problem or a bigger issue? The trailer is 3 weeks old and under warranty. Thanks for the help.

Old 06-01-2015, 12:19 PM   #2

I think I may have found the problem. Last night we had storms with a lot of rain. I opened the access panel and found water pooling inside. The control boards edge with the power connections were in water. The furnace is mounted sideways in the trailer leaving the vent lovers also sitting sideways. I believe this is where the water came in. I disconnected the power wire so it should not come back on until I can get it back to the dealer.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0410.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	78702

Old 06-01-2015, 12:34 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Sounds like a design flaw!
And by the looks of the pic, I'd bet on it!

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "9 nights"
Old 06-01-2015, 12:36 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

I would either find a set of louvers that are correct or make a panel of them and cut the factory ones out.
Old 06-01-2015, 12:45 PM   #5

It seems I read another thread about something similar with Atwood louvers being wrong. These are right depending on how the furnace is mounted. I'm just going to seal it up with gorilla tape on the inside and let the dealer figure it out. I have quite a list for them to fix. But would I expect anything else in the first year? No. I guess it's just part of rving. Life goes on.
Old 06-01-2015, 01:44 PM   #6

Fan switch

Is there a manual fan switch on the thermostat?
Old 06-01-2015, 01:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harkerr View Post
Is there a manual fan switch on the thermostat?
Yes but I think the problem is the water and not the thermostat. I'm going to change that with a digital anyway.
Old 06-01-2015, 01:58 PM   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to Eaglelover
Furnace

I would check with the furnace manufacturer and see if that unit can be installed in a vertical position. The install could have other negative effects other than water getting into the electronics. Those boards are in excessive of $100. so if it is damaged now it will happen in the future.
I would not make any modifications until you are confident that the unit will perform in a vertical position.
If the manufacturer ok's a modification to the dealer be sure it is in writing to cover liability and warranty. Frank
Old 06-01-2015, 04:09 PM   #9

Seeing a circuit board in water is pretty much a dead give-a-way, but furnace fans are often triggered by a heat limit switches so being parked in the hot sun on a very hot day might cause it to run. Had it happen in a house furnace in an upstairs apartment without ventilation.
Old 06-01-2015, 05:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglelover View Post
I would check with the furnace manufacturer and see if that unit can be installed in a vertical position. The install could have other negative effects other than water getting into the electronics. Those boards are in excessive of $100. so if it is damaged now it will happen in the future.
I would not make any modifications until you are confident that the unit will perform in a vertical position.
If the manufacturer ok's a modification to the dealer be sure it is in writing to cover liability and warranty. Frank
That's why I sealed the vents and exhaust port to stop any further damage. I plan to have a discussion with my dealer. They have caused nothing but problems. It seems this is one of those "off the lot, out of mind" dealers. That's going to change.

Tags
furnace