Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2018, 07:33 PM   #1

Furnace won’t start

I have a 2015 coachman pursuit KB 27. I Tried to start the gas furnace today. The furnace does not come on. I made sure the switch was reset inside the cabinet and I have 14 volts going to the board but I don’t know if it’s coming out of the board. There is also a hum coming from the motor. Any suggestions.
Therig2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 08:00 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therig2 View Post
I have a 2015 coachman pursuit KB 27. I Tried to start the gas furnace today. The furnace does not come on. I made sure the switch was reset inside the cabinet and I have 14 volts going to the board but I don’t know if it’s coming out of the board. There is also a hum coming from the motor. Any suggestions.
is there propane getting to the furnace
Old 10-09-2018, 08:00 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
You need more than a hum from the blower. The blower has to turn fast enough to close your "sail switch" or the control board won't open the gas valve and fire the furnace. Maybe your blower motor has seized up.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 08:01 PM   #4

The fan is not turning that is why you hear the motor humming.

How long ago was the furnace working properly, days, weeks, months?
If it was quite a while ago there could be a mud dauber nest stopping the fan from turning.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 220 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre with Tow Package

Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 08:29 PM   #5

The squirrel cage turns freely
Old 10-09-2018, 08:36 PM   #6

It still should still try to light if it doesn’t have gas.
Old 10-09-2018, 08:55 PM   #7
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
It still should still try to light if it doesn’t have gas.
It won't even try to light if the blower fan doesn't run fast enough to move the sail switch.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 02:51 PM   #8

Not really an answer, but a similar problem

I have a 2013 Solera 24 MS with a Suburban furnace (not certain of the model it is one of the SF-xxXQ series). Worked fine for most of the last 5+ years. The other night I went to sleep out in the rig and I went out and started the furnace. Ran fine, warmed up the rig and everything. Sometime, during the night it stopped starting and has not started again. Things tried:
1) Tun system off, wait 5 min, try again. All I get is one click from the furnace
2) Unplug and disconnect batteries, try again after reconnecting. All I get is one click from the furnace
3) turn all off and wait 24 hrs. All I get is one click from the furnace.

Once during this series, it started for 5 minutes and stopped, had not reached temp setting, it just stopped. Then nothing but one click from the furnace when I set the Dometic TStat to a temp warmer than the coat temp. Winter camping season, followed by Florida in Jan is coming and I need the furnace.

Clues, Thoughts, Ideas, Snarky comments??
lmacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 03:02 PM   #9
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmacy View Post
I have a 2013 Solera 24 MS with a Suburban furnace (not certain of the model it is one of the SF-xxXQ series). Worked fine for most of the last 5+ years. The other night I went to sleep out in the rig and I went out and started the furnace. Ran fine, warmed up the rig and everything. Sometime, during the night it stopped starting and has not started again. Things tried:
1) Tun system off, wait 5 min, try again. All I get is one click from the furnace
2) Unplug and disconnect batteries, try again after reconnecting. All I get is one click from the furnace
3) turn all off and wait 24 hrs. All I get is one click from the furnace.

Once during this series, it started for 5 minutes and stopped, had not reached temp setting, it just stopped. Then nothing but one click from the furnace when I set the Dometic TStat to a temp warmer than the coat temp. Winter camping season, followed by Florida in Jan is coming and I need the furnace.

Clues, Thoughts, Ideas, Snarky comments??
When you say "just stopped" you mean totally?
During those 5 minutes, did it light and start to blow warm air and then the the blower quit or did the burner stop and continued to blow?

It sounds like you have a blower issue. (see my post above yours) If the blower doesn't run, none of the next several chain of events that need to take place for the furnace to light, can happen. If the blower stops in mid-stream, the burner stops burning. It is a fail-safe built into the furnace.

The blower issue could be low voltage, mouse nest/debris in the fan, bad motor, etc.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 03:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
When you say "just stopped" you mean totally?
During those 5 minutes, did it light and start to blow warm air and then the the blower quit or did the burner stop and continued to blow?

It sounds like you have a blower issue. (see my post above yours) If the blower doesn't run, none of the next several chain of events that need to take place for the furnace to light, can happen. If the blower stops in mid-stream, the burner stops burning. It is a fail-safe built into the furnace.

The blower issue could be low voltage, mouse nest/debris in the fan, bad motor, etc.
It ran like normal for 5 min. Put out warm air, then everything stopped, blower, burner. Nothing but a single click. I'll check your earlier post.
lmacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 07:37 PM   #11

Below is a link to the suburban furnace manuals in the library at the top of the page. Go to page 23 for sequence of operation/trouble shooting.

Forest River Forums - Downloads - Furnace - Suburban Operation (Various models)

Hope this helps Tim
TimVWulp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace