Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2010, 10:24 PM   #1

Furnace won't light

This one is a little tougher , I think. My furnace does not work. The blower comes on and it tries to fire but no go. Thinking either the board is bad or the gas valve itself. Water heater and stove both getting gas. At any rate, cannot test either of the above because of lack of access to the back of furnace unit. Cannot pull it out because interior steps are in the way. Cannot for the life of me figure out how the steps are attached. Only thing I can come up with is that it is attached from the bottom, underneath the rv. Problem there is that the black water tank is directly below the steps. Help, can't figure it out! Oh yeah, rv is an 03 Sierra.
gbayjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:10 AM   #2
Site Team

John, I am changing your subject line to something more relevant
and moving it to the tech forum for better response(s).

You should also search for furnace problem type threads as
this subject comes up fairly often and has been addressed
many times before.

Welcome to the forums!!
KyDan
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:17 AM   #3
Now a "Top Member"

Well, when this happened to me, I had to take it in to the shop. My trailer at the time was still under warranty (extended warranty), but in the end, it was not a warranty item. I had Mud Daubers on my burner. Two big ones. I did not know how to get to the innards anyway, so I didn't mind paying the piper. It cost about $300 to get it all cleaned out. I don't know if that's your problem, but it's at least a place to start looking.

For the record, what mine did was similar to you. The fan would come on, and you could hear the ignitor trying to fire up. It would "click click click", then shut down. There was an error light on the circuit board, but all it indicated was a "lighting error".
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 10:50 AM   #4

does the fan continue to run when it fails>
you may want to try it several times by turning it off at the thermostat (i'd wait abt 15 sec), then turn the thermostat back on.
it should try 3 times then go into lock out. shutting off the thermostat resets the board.
i looking at their being air in the line to the furnace from no use (how it gets in there, i haven't a clue). i'm thinking it will be like lighting the frig after truning the bottles on after a long shut down period.
if you have already had several tries, i have no other suggestions except (like last post) a tech.
if it does turn out to be dirt dobbers, there is a screen you can install over the air in and out on the outside of the trailer (its made for that purpose). Here, i have lots of problems with them.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:58 PM   #5

possible

All these things may be possible, but I won't be able to tell for sure until i get the thing out. Question remains, how to remove the steps so that I can pull the thing out.
gbayjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 12:48 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Well, you do have a problem. One problem we have, or at least I have, is I don't own an 03 Sierra, and maybe have never seen one. A picture of the steps would help. I did a have a 74 Skamper 5th wheel, and the center step, if you pulled up on the tread, would come up, and you could get at the steps that way. Very doubtful they would be fastened from underneath. Too much labor and too much chance of screws not hitting the correct place in a manufacturing environment. Start pulling up an stair treads, maybe one will pop out, or look closely at the sides for screws, etc. Good luck, and hope it helps.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 07:03 AM   #7
Site Team

John I suggest you start a new thread in the tech forum with
a subject line like
" How do I remove the steps in my ..... "
or
"Need to remove the steps in ....... "
replace ...... with your trailer make and model.

A photo of the steps area would be helpful.
IF you need help attaching a photo, ask and we'll explain
how to do that too.

Good luck!
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote