Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2016, 08:23 AM   #1

Furnace won't turn off

Hi everyone! We just got our 2014 Puma 3 days ago. We bought out of state and had it transported. Great for saving $, not so much for learning about your new rv It came with 1 battery, everything worked fine. Hubby changed config to 2 batteries parallel and nothing worked. He realized he accidentally hooked them up wrong (posts are diff from our last camper) and corrected it. Now when 2 batteries are hooked up the furnace will not turn off. If we use one battery the furnace initially runs for a min or so and then turns off. I'm wondering if we blew a fuse but would think the furnace would not work at all then. Any thoughts?
azcampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 09:28 AM   #2

May have damaged circuit board logic in heater. Call to Suburban might help solve your issue.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 09:41 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Furnace won't turn off

Probably blew the reverse polarity fuses for the converter as well.
I've seen where the converter shorted out before fuses blew FYI

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
2016 nights camped "32"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 09:50 AM   #4

Furnace won't turn off

If we damaged the circuit board would it still work properly with one battery? Everything works perfect until we try to use 2 batteries in parallel.
Old 09-01-2016, 10:17 AM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I would think if it works OK on one battery the circuit board is OK... BUT...

Not trying to sound brash... but you've already admitted the batteries were connected incorrectly.

Are you trying the furnace with the shore power on or off?
Have you checked converter and output fuses to be sure everything is OK?
Are you SURE you are hooking the two batteries up in PARALLEL?
Have you checked both batteries to be sure one isn't damaged from hooking up incorrectly and possibly messing up the voltage?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 10:41 AM   #6

No worries at all...you don't sound brash. We are not trying to use the furnace at all, it is just turning on automatically when the 2 batteries are connected, everything is good when it's just 1 battery. We are using just battery power right now as we are about to go dry camping. We hooked each battery up to the charger and they both show good/full charge. I showed my hubby a pic of parallel set up, neg to neg and pos to pos. He said this setup is diff than our last camper. Black used to be neg now I think he said it's white. He's not here right now so I can't double check that. I just known he said it's opposite of what our last camper way. We haven't checked the converter but he said he checked the fuses (1 was out but he said he thought it was for the stereo). I asked him to buy an extra furnace fuse just in case. We are confused why all is good with 1 battery and then all this happens with a 2nd battery hooked up.
Old 09-01-2016, 10:45 AM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Converter reverse polarity fuses are 40 amp. And not inline with the rest of the fuses.

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
2016 nights camped "32"
Old 09-01-2016, 11:12 AM   #8

Are you positive (no pun intended) that the batteries are in parallel (12VDC) and not series (24VDC). The reason I ask is there is no difference in 12 volts from one battery or from two other than load capacity which is not your issue.
limblips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 11:24 AM   #9

My hubby said he hooked black to black and white to white so it should be parallel not series right? We are using deep cycle marine batteries...would that make a difference?
Old 09-01-2016, 11:32 AM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Can you show us what diagram you used.

One two or ten batteries shouldn't matter.

1) he's hooked them backwards once.

2) one battery still works fine , two causes trouble.

It's a wiring issue.

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
2016 nights camped "32"
Old 09-01-2016, 11:34 AM   #11
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by azcampers View Post
My hubby said he hooked black to black and white to white so it should be parallel not series right? We are using deep cycle marine batteries...would that make a difference?
A better way to be sure is by identifying the battery terminals... positive to positive... and negative to negative.

Using deep cycle marine batteries will make no difference and are what you should be using.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 11:41 AM   #12

For parallel connection the batteries need to be hooked positive to positive and negative to negative then the camper. Here is a simplified diagram.
Attached Images

Old 09-01-2016, 11:56 AM   #13

Here is the diagram he followed to hook up the batteries.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	248.8 KB
ID:	119128  
Old 09-01-2016, 12:52 PM   #14

Quote:
If we damaged the circuit board would it still work properly with one battery? Everything works perfect until we try to use 2 batteries in parallel.
If that is so, it suggests to me that either you are wiring the second battery in correctly or the second battery is defective from the original bad polarity connection that may have damaged it Beyond use to the point that it is sucking the system dry when you put it in
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 01:00 PM   #15

Quote:
It seems like it might be safe or at least better to forget the cover. Read the plus and minus on the battery post. Plus goes to plus and minus goes to minus. Follow the wires. Minus wire goes to frame. And usually fairly near the batteries. Plus wire goes hopefully to a main power switch then to the electrical distribution panel.

Get a voltmeter be sure you're reading positive and positive together negative and negative together negative to the frame should be no voltage positive with a voltmeter connected to the frame should read 12 + volts. I know for a lot of people electrical can turn their head around if they are not thinking it through very carefully. It's an easy place to mess up if you just Plunge in remembering for instance what it looks like on the old trailer. Good luck. Tom
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 01:12 PM   #16

+ vs -

Sunds as if he has the same problem I had when I got the camper. I was adding the ower tongue jack. All my automotive experience has red * black -
Trailer had white and black didn't look at terminals closely, Hooked it up backwards. I still have to think hard what is "hot"
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 01:57 PM   #17
On the road again...

The converter has fuses to protect it (inside the unit itself) from reverse polarity. Blows them every time. Fix that first and then open the furnace and check the red LED diagnostic light to see if it is showing a fault code (blinking). The furnace should have a guide posted in side as to what the code is. Usually a switch that can be reset manually or if you have my luck something not so easy.
If you also have an inverter they are also fuse protected in the same way. Disconnect the batteries and fix these first if they are blown or you will have issues that will make you crazy. As others have said, positively identify your positive and negative connections or big trouble will trouble you.
MMMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 05:21 PM   #18

Red face Start from the beginning

Why don't you try starting from the beginning. That's what I always did going on a service call
1. Is the thermostat set to the lowest temp?
2. Are both batteries good (Reading at least 12 volts) Verify all cells are good.
3. Restore the battery wiring as it was at first.
4. Check voltages when charging, not charging and under load (run something 12vdc)
5. If all is good connect the battery to the existing battery by placing the wire ring on the battery post neg to neg, pos to pos without removing any of the existing wiring.
6. Now try it and see what it does.

Good luck
jftrombley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 07:13 PM   #19

Furnace won't turn off

Thank you so much everyone for your help. It ended up being a thermostat issue. He did a power on/ off sequence to reset it and all seems good now.
Old 09-02-2016, 07:22 AM   #20

Quote:
Thank you so much everyone for your help. It ended up being a thermostat issue. He did a power on/ off sequence to reset it and all seems good now.

Good! Now go camping!!!!!

Tags
furnace