Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2019, 10:57 AM   #1

Furrion Camera Information

This post is for information I learned of today. I bought a Furrion observation camera and was struggling with getting it to work. I tried a lot of things from info on this site but I made no headway. I highly suspected that the voltage reaching the camera on the back of the trailer was probably on the low side. I contacted the tech dept. at Furrion and they got back to me about a week later. They asked me the year make and model of my tow vehicle which is a 2019 GMC Sierra 1500. This is their reply. "The engineers found there is an issue with the truck and how it distributes power back to the RV, this is not an issue with the Furrion camera system". "What we are recommending is you contact an RV dealer and have them wire the camera direct to a 12volt power source i.e. the house battery on the RV this will give the Furrion camera the 12volt power it needs to properly communicate with the monitor". It's nice to find this kind of information out after you purchase the product isn't it. I don't see Furrion listing any of this kind of information in their product description or advertising when you are trying to make a decision on purchasing their product.
Now I have to figure out how to get 12v back to that camera. Their idea of using the house battery is a problem because how do you control the on-off of the devise? Or just getting a wire back to the camera is another problem. Does anyone have a solution to getting power to the camera?
bill18163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 11:49 AM   #2

Have you measured the voltage?
Seems bubkus, but I've been wrong before. Power management on vehicles is a real thing.

If it's low, odds are you could get a converter to go from 9v (or whatever) to 12v (or maybe 14 would be better).

I'm curious of the symptoms and troubleshooting that's been going on.
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 07:28 PM   #3

I have a 2019 Sierra 1500 that had that same issue. Took the trailer out today and changed the headlights from auto to the on position. Camera stayed on while in motion. I could not be happier. Good Luck.
TeambusJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 02:11 AM   #4

I have a 2019 Chevy Silverado 1500 and running into the same issue. I think that the computer that is handling the trailer package is sending 5 volts rather than 12 volts when in auto mode. I'll try the trick of putting the lights in manual mode.

2019 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab with MAX Towing and Texan pkgs.
2019 Mid Year Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S
2016 Rockwood High Wall HW276 (2016 - 2018)
sctheis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 04:35 AM   #5

If your headlights are in auto mode as opposed to on, the camera will not work. The camera is (usually) wired to the marker lights, which only get power when the headlights are on.
Old 08-26-2019, 06:15 AM   #6
Frog-Toberfest Organizer

I've been digging in to this some and it seems the newer trucks have PWM (pulse wave modulation) that interferes with the signal from the camera.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...-181940-2.html

https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/top...camera/page/3/

My truck is a 2015. I get 12.9V to camera but there is no signal and at best 1 bar when I have the monitor on in the truck. I am working with Furrion right now on troubleshooting but think I may see if they will take this back. It is not "Plug and Play" in all vehicles for some reason and it has been more annoying than helpful so far.
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum fifth wheel hitch V2
Days camped '16=43, '17=47, '18=57 '19=47 '20=47 '21=64 '22=62 '23=72 '24=0
Electra glide is offline   Reply With Quote