Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2017, 07:01 PM   #1

Furrion camera prep?

I have a Heritage Glen on order that is pre prepped for a wireless back up camera. the Prep Looks like a little clam shell shaped housing on the rear of the unit.

I can not find any reference as to what model Furrion camera goes with the housing. Do they all work? Does it take a specific one?

Ive seen some negative threads on furrion. Would rather use the existing prep area and stay wireless then running a wire and going with a different manufacture.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 09:35 PM   #2

Both work, but you will probably be unhappy with the backup only version, get the observation model FOS48TAPK-BL.

Amazon has 2 versions of each with or without the mount. When I bought mine, the version including the mount was lower priced...
Glad I ordered the whole package because during install, I dropped one of the mini screws that go into the mount. Just used one from the one in the package.

No issues with mine so far.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 04:02 AM   #3

I'm looking to have one install in my TT next week.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 08:08 AM   #4

I have one in the box and ready to go, once I can bring the camper home from storage.......
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 08:33 AM   #5

Spoke to the factory rep. He said as long as it is a wireless model it will fit. two to choose from a "backup only" and an "observation" I assume the difference is in the quality of camera lens and the view. Shopping around for the best price, looking like amazon or walmart.com
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 08:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber45 View Post
Spoke to the factory rep. He said as long as it is a wireless model it will fit. two to choose from a "backup only" and an "observation" I assume the difference is in the quality of camera lens and the view. Shopping around for the best price, looking like amazon or walmart.com
The difference is that the backup will come on ONLY when in reverse.

The observation works non-stop while driving down the road, and in reverse, or any other gear. It goes on with the tv lights, and off when the tv lights are off.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 11:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
The difference is that the backup will come on ONLY when in reverse.
I don't think that is true. Camera is on back of trailer with only a power connection. Display in TV only has a power connection. How does the system know you are in reverse?
I have read lots of posts that indicate that it does work while driving - but very poorly. Lots of dropped frames, freeze ups, more susceptible to interference, etc. Furrion site indicates that the backup cam is a "Vision 1" system. The observation camera is, I believe, newer and called "Vision 2". I recall seeing comments that the Vision 2 was improved, had higher frame rates, etc.
Bottom line, I think you can try to use the Vision 1 backup camera while driving, but you will probably be disappointed. Vision 2 is more expensive, but works significantly better.
Note that both versions are sold with and without the bracket. When I bought mine, the version WITH the bracket had a lower price on Amazon.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 11:50 AM   #8
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
I don't think that is true. Camera is on back of trailer with only a power connection. Display in TV only has a power connection. How does the system know you are in reverse?
I have read lots of posts that indicate that it does work while driving - but very poorly. Lots of dropped frames, freeze ups, more susceptible to interference, etc. Furrion site indicates that the backup cam is a "Vision 1" system. The observation camera is, I believe, newer and called "Vision 2". I recall seeing comments that the Vision 2 was improved, had higher frame rates, etc.
Bottom line, I think you can try to use the Vision 1 backup camera while driving, but you will probably be disappointed. Vision 2 is more expensive, but works significantly better.
Note that both versions are sold with and without the bracket. When I bought mine, the version WITH the bracket had a lower price on Amazon.
Correct.

Either camera hooks to the wire in the existing mount and powered by the running lights. Nothing to trigger reverse unless you would run a wire to do so.

As explained, the back-up camera is just that, designed for backing up and the field of view is closer and the wireless connection not as good. Why? Who knows but those are the reports.

The observation camera is designed with a larger field of view and works over long distances better.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 11:52 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber45 View Post
I have a Heritage Glen on order that is pre prepped for a wireless back up camera. the Prep Looks like a little clam shell shaped housing on the rear of the unit.

I can not find any reference as to what model Furrion camera goes with the housing. Do they all work? Does it take a specific one?

Ive seen some negative threads on furrion. Would rather use the existing prep area and stay wireless then running a wire and going with a different manufacture.
It is wireless. the 'wire' part is the power lead for the camera and all the Furrion cams fit the housing. You remove the plastic cover plate and install the camera.

In my case, I added a rocker switch inside to shut the cam off completely.

I see nothing negative with mine. Excellent resolution and good night vision too. Colors are a little wonky but it's an observation cam and thats it. Used to identify objects behind you, not for counting facial hairs.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 11:55 AM   #10

Quote:
Both work, but you will probably be unhappy with the backup only version, get the observation model FOS48TAPK-BL.

Amazon has 2 versions of each with or without the mount. When I bought mine, the version including the mount was lower priced...
Glad I ordered the whole package because during install, I dropped one of the mini screws that go into the mount. Just used one from the one in the package.

No issues with mine so far.
I did that as well, twice. What a pizzer trying to find the tiny screw on the shop floor on my hands and knees. Found 'em both after some swear words....

Got mine a Walmart. Was cheaper than Amazon.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:57 AM   #11

Quote:
The backup cam powers off the reverse light (backup light) power.
Old 02-21-2017, 04:07 PM   #12
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
The backup cam powers off the reverse light (backup light) power.
I have never seen a factory installed Furrion housing that had power to it from the reverse light. Always a running light.

Old 02-21-2017, 04:22 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
I have never seen a factory installed Furrion housing that had power to it from the reverse light. Always a running light.
You are right, I'm wrong but that brings up an interesting scenario. With the backup cam on all the time, you get to stare at a backup grid on the monitor as well, all the time. Seems counter productive to me.

The one I have has no grid. Didn't want one anyway.
Old 02-21-2017, 04:37 PM   #14
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
You are right, I'm wrong but that brings up an interesting scenario. With the backup cam on all the time, you get to stare at a backup grid on the monitor as well, all the time. Seems counter productive to me.

The one I have has no grid. Didn't want one anyway.
Folks use the grid on a backup camera as a guide when backing or sometimes watching a toad.
If all tires are inflated, maybe the grid line is level with a fender or some part of the toad. If the line moves on the toad, something may be wrong.

The grid lines help judge distance when hitching or backing into a spot.

You could always turn off the monitor when traveling. Simply turn it on when backing up.

Observation cameras are used more for watching upcoming traffic behind you and other things you want to see back there both moving and backing. (observing) No grids.

Old 02-21-2017, 04:55 PM   #15

I have mine to observe traffic coming up behind me and to watch my trailer to make sure my quads don't fall off. I don't need or want a backup grid or backup cam. I can backup just fine thank you....

I have 3 cams on each of my farm tractors and one of the 3 has the grid which I find distracting. I usually operate it in no grid mode. Not sure if the Furrion can be toggled to a no grid mode of operation.

I see on You-Tube a couple of the vid's, the camera is on all the time. I wouldn't want that, not just from the power drain but for component lifespan. Mine is on a switch so I can disable it when I don't need it.