Old 01-28-2019, 02:20 PM   #1

Furrion question

Relatively new to camping with a TT (2 years). Our Furrion factory radio is easy enough to use but not exactly user friendly. Thought about replacing but also thought about replacing factory outdoor speakers at the same time-also thinking about the future when I purchase my retirement camper/RV in a couple years. As I've gone to numerous RV shows, it seems most have the Furrion brand radio as well as observation cameras. So the questions are: how good is the Furrion system really? Has anyone upgraded any of the components I mentioned? If so, how difficult was it? Suggestions on better components appreciated. Thanks.

khoush1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 05:19 PM   #2

I'm not into audio enough to know which brands are "better", so not much help there.

In the A-frames, the stereo looks like, and can easily be replaced by an automotive unit. Speaker impedance matters with these units, so determine what the stereo is rated for before buying new speakers. Access in the A-frames is very simple - pull out the microwave and you have easy access to the stereo and wiring.

Because these are automotive units, there are 2 power (12V+) wires. In a car/truck, one wire goes to the relay powered by the ignition key, and the other goes directly to the battery to maintain presets, etc. In my A-frames, these 2 wires are tied together, resulting in the stereo popping "on" whenever the battery cut-off is moved or I connect to shore power. This is annoying and drains the battery unnecessarily. So I install a switch and tie both 12V leads to the switch. This lets me keep the stereo totally unpowered except when I want it on.

I lose any presets, but I rarely use the radio section. More common is to use the Bluetooth to play tunes from my phone.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote