Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2012, 04:41 PM   #1

Gadgets and gizmos question: wireless printer

Does anyone have a wireless printer that they use when in Rv parks with WIFI?

I have iPad and IPhone...and a laptop ...I know too much stuff!...

I can print corded with laptop.... I cannot get wireless to print when on public wifi...

Thanks for your help.
psgrandpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:04 PM   #2

You won't be able to due to the campgrounds wifi firewalls. You may want to try a 'hotspot' that you purchase and that'll make your 3-G a wireless router for your computer and printer.
Mike
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:24 PM   #3

For printing you'll want to use your own wifi - an airport express is a good option. Many of the new hp printers support the apple wifi printing that your iPad and iPhone will recognize. The only problem, is you have to switch networks to join the campground's wifi and get on the Internet.
crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:14 PM   #4

I set my iphone to hotspot...then set ssid on printer to match...
Didnt print....
psgrandpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:23 PM   #5

iPhone hotspot is not your typical wifi network. This doesn't apply to just the iPhone. Most mobile broadband devices or hotspots supply the same type of connection. I won't go into detail but basically up to "x" number of devices can connect but it doesn't mean these devices can talk to each other in certain ways. Some devices deal with ad-hoc connections in different ways and some can't even communicate on an ad-hoc connection.

Easiest way to solve you scenario. Not the best though.

Get yourself a printer that supports AirPrint. Get yourself a wireless router that is real cheap. Nothing fancy. Setup the wireless router with an SSID such as "Printer Network" or something distinguishable. Connect the printer to this network. Whenever you need to print something. Plug in the router and printer, let them setup and connect. Connect your iPhone, iPad or pc to the printer network and print your files. After, go back to your Internet network and continue surfing. You don't need Internet on your printer network, you just need the wifi service for device to device connectivity.

You can leave this plugged in all the time in a closet or something or only set it up when you need it. The devices will retain their settings. Also you don't need any wifi security key on it. (WEP - WPA). As these devices will never see the Internet.

If anyone needs help with a scenario like this or other possibilities for mobile printing, feel free to contact me at rmeaux (at) icloud.com

Cheers,
Ryan
Rmeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:32 AM   #6
daydreaming about camping

I am curious - my wireless HP printer tends to act like it's own hotpsot, I can see it broadcast when I look at available wireless networks on my laptop. I can connect directly to it to print. I however choose to turn this off because then it is visible to others. When I am about town my phone will routinely pick up "open" wifi networks, often they are someones printer.

This is different than the HP ePrint which basically sends an email through the internet to the printer from your device no matter where you are. That service requires a live internet connection to the printer.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:07 PM   #7

I did come across these printers lately. They cram AllInOne, ePrint, AirPrint, and a WiFi hotspot in them. That would allow you to print without the need of a router. I've personally not interacted with these printers, seems they would add some sort of encryption to the hotspot. Some say up to eight devices at a time can connect to them. I know some people who are privacy nuts that would have a cow over this. The possibility of someone passing by your printer and firing off 100 copies of a document is unlikely but I guess it would be a fun prank.
Rmeaux is offline   Reply With Quote