Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2017, 08:31 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
I just checked the Apple App Store for my iPad to see about the CoPilot app. The non-RV version is free but the RV version is $84.99! What makes it worth $84.99 compared to the standard version?
They have frequent sales. Check back in a week or two. I got it for less than $50 last summer.
Mark Ulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 08:51 AM   #42
Pickin', Campin', Mason

This has been an interesting discussion.
I currently use several mobile apps and an auto-type GPS.

I have recently been scoping out an RV specific GPS. I was hopeful there was something out there I wasn't aware of which packed it all into one. Sadly, in this day and age of tech gadgets, it doesn't appear so.

What has me shaking my head, is the amount of folks who have spent hundreds of dollars for a RV specific GPS, have to "check to be sure it will get you there OK" with a myriad of other devices (because their own real world experience has proven it gives them inaccurate information) and then recommend buying it.

If my tally sheet is correct, just one post indicated they use the RV GPS and nothing else. Everyone else is using multiple devices, which is like saying... here buy this sweeper, it won't suck up all the dirt as you'll need two other sweepers to finish the job but it's worth the money. Just doesn't make sense to me to drop the dime on it to begin with.

But then again, maybe I'm missing something.
I'll keep reading.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 08:55 AM   #43
Censored Member

I never trust the database of points of interest in any GPS. I have found way too many errors with the POI’s. This is based on my experience with Garmin, Rand McNally, and TomTom. It’s much better to enter the map coordinates of a campground in the GPS. I’ve yet to be taken to a wrong location using coordinates.
ManlyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 10:01 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
This has been an interesting discussion.
I currently use several mobile apps and an auto-type GPS.

I have recently been scoping out an RV specific GPS. I was hopeful there was something out there I wasn't aware of which packed it all into one. Sadly, in this day and age of tech gadgets, it doesn't appear so.

What has me shaking my head, is the amount of folks who have spent hundreds of dollars for a RV specific GPS, have to "check to be sure it will get you there OK" with a myriad of other devices (because their own real world experience has proven it gives them inaccurate information) and then recommend buying it.

If my tally sheet is correct, just one post indicated they use the RV GPS and nothing else. Everyone else is using multiple devices, which is like saying... here buy this sweeper, it won't suck up all the dirt as you'll need two other sweepers to finish the job but it's worth the money. Just doesn't make sense to me to drop the dime on it to begin with.

But then again, maybe I'm missing something.
I'll keep reading.
I completely get what you are saying.

But.......you've said that there are zero devices out there that do it all.....and then you said you can't understand buying a device and then having to lean on another one to complete the task.

That seems mutually exclusive to me. If there are none that will do it all, your only choice is to buy however many it takes to do the job.

I have a Nuvi 2797. It has no issues, but the wife's truck doesn't have GPS built in like mine does, and I'm putting it on her dashboard. I've ordered a 760 and between it and my onboard "non-robust" built-in GPS in the truck, and an Old-Fogey-Paper-Map and the wife's upcoming eye surgery, I fully expect to get everywhere I need to go.

If not, wherever it takes me..................that's where I'll be.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 11:10 AM   #45

No propane warning

The GPS is good for low clearance or e.g. restricted highways. But it does not do propane warnings. Certain tunnels do not allow propane and this GPS does not have a warning for it. But the Garmin truck GPS does. If I had known this I would of bought the truck one instead of the rv one. Hope this helps
waynebas33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 11:22 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
We have (and love) the 760 as well. If you are in the market for a 760, know that Garmin just announced the successor model: the 770 - so you can either get the latest and greatest or perhaps pick up a 760 at a good discount

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/blog/au...g-enthusiasts/
Good idea.......maybe I'll put my 760 up for bids......I also have the BC30 backup cam and the 50' cable to extend the wireless transmitter up to the front of the trailer in my shed......aka the land of lost RV stuff lol.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 11:22 AM   #47

Not sure if this is true, but I believe my RV660 is the same as the 760 just a smaller screen?

Anyway, when I got mine as a gift from my kids, I read the reviews.... they were mixed to say the least. Not wanting to diminish their gift, I started using it, as my truck has no onboard navigation. I like it for general navigation tasks and leave it on all the time. The fact that it turns on and off with the vehicle is a bonus because I don’t have to fuss with it, it’s automatic. I have it tied to me cell phone so it gives me “real-time” weather and traffic updates and a pretty good UI – hands free works well.

I used to have a Tom Tom in my car years ago, but GOS units in general seem a little antiquated, and I stopped using because navigation can now be handled by a smart phone, or so I thought. Last year we were camping in an area with no cell signal and several times I had no idea where I was while we were out exploring. I understand that many people find the accuracy poor while in RV mode. Others have said that it’s a matter of setup…. I don’t know for sure, but if some people make it work for them, that shows to me that it is possible.

I don’t think that I would rely on only one device for critical navigation chores. I used to photograph weddings and I carried a backup Tom Tom, paper maps, and google route sheets. The more critical the situation, the more one must prepare, IMO.
2016 - 47 nights
2017 - 47 nights
LandJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 12:20 PM   #48

Another source of good POI for RVs is http://www.lowclearances.com/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good SAM # 807510227
FROG # GA-0056-236
FMCA # F471293
Jlreeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 01:55 PM   #49

Not recommended!

So far I have done 3 multi-gigabyte map updates, however, they are all lacking. Also, I have never been able to get my 760 to recognize the memory card. Therefore, the updates are not written to the card which was the primary reason for it in the first place. Rather than overwriting the previous update/s the 760 now shows 1, 2, or 3 listings for the same venue depending upon which update it was added.

The mapping software is the next best thing to worthless—a complete waste of HDD space. I am so disappointed with this purchase that I didn't even try to use the b/u camera on the old Jaco. After the trade up to the current Rockwood mini-lite, I bought the Furrion camera and installed it into the pre-wired mount which was an exercise in itself. Rather than cutting the lead to 'pig tail' length, the Rochwood assembler just stuffed the approximately 2 meters of lead into the camera housing; leaving no space for the camera! I had to either try to find which clearance light was used in order to attempt pulling the extra cable and re-soldering or crimping it, or to cut and splice the cable just below the camera connector. The cable felt like it was pinched or otherwise restricted so I resorted to offsetting the cuts, then soldered the each wire and covered each joint with heat-shrink plus a heat-shrink tube overlapping the cable to provide abrasion resistance and waterproofing.

Am I asking too much? I just want products that perform as advertised. And workmanship that reflects a modicum of pride. During the later period of my working career, ‘Quality Control’ changed to a kinder and gentler 'Quality Assurance' (market speak for make the consumer feel warm and fuzzy— before he makes the purchase and experiences reality).

-thanks for listening
RoadKill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 07:46 PM   #50

I upgraded to 5.4 from 5.2 today... and my unit is the RV 760. It took 5-1/2 hours on 3 Mb/s of which most time was downloading maps. It now shows an RV icon when in that mode... so finger's crossed. We'll see. My exaggerated (useless) statement, it isn't useless, but when it drops me from a main highway onto a dirt road, something is seriously wrong. My old out of date 205 it never did that. I am sure it was routing shortest no matter what I chose.

W

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 08:21 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
I upgraded to 5.4 from 5.2 today... and my unit is the RV 760. It took 5-1/2 hours on 3 Mb/s of which most time was downloading maps. It now shows an RV icon when in that mode... so finger's crossed. We'll see. My exaggerated (useless) statement, it isn't useless, but when it drops me from a main highway onto a dirt road, something is seriously wrong. My old out of date 205 it never did that. I am sure it was routing shortest no matter what I chose.

W
Funny..as I read your post I was sitting with the 760 hooked into my PC for the same map update (North America) and a bunch of software updates. Only took about 45 minutes. Will get some use on it tomorrow to see if I notice any changes. Hopefully yours fixed itself...mine has no problems other than the occasional database glitch which I don't blame Garmin for as long as they fix them when reported. EVERY GPS will give you your exact position on earth and the maps...but the GPS coordinates for the POI's don't always match the actual address... but they sure work fine for me on all the major and minor roads and clearances so I am happy with my purchase though I back it up with other stuff.
When we were out sailing....I had a working GPS/Plotter at the helm...but 3 more in the Farraday Cage (microwave oven) along with lots of batteries in case something went bad. I don't mind paying a little more for peace of mind...as Captain Ron said... (and it applies equally to RV's)..."If somethings gonna go wrong, its' gonna go wrong out there boss!" Semper Paratus!
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 08:24 PM   #52

Garmin RV760

Folks, all GPS units get updates from the Federal maps database. They get the info from States, Counties and cities based on development company reports. There are inaccuracies in this process as not all groups enter all data. Some are good entering details and some are not. It is not perfect. Even over the road truckers use multiple sources INCLUDING paper. Multiple sources help prevent an OOPS moment. I have used the Garmin 760 RVT for over 4 years. It is mostly correct but I use the trust but verify process i.e. multiple sources to avoid (most) mistakes. Did not know they had a new model....I'll have to check it out.
1nshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 08:42 PM   #53

Just found the link to the announcement of the 770 Garmin:
https://www.garmin.com/en-US/blog/au...g-enthusiasts/

Looks like some significant upgrades for about 50 bucks more. Tempting!
Also will be sold in Camping World...which has not carried Garmin for some time. I'm hoping that means that the Good Sam Trip Planner will be adjusted to output files compatible with Garmin soon which would make it a no brainer for me. Marcus are you listening???
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 08:58 PM   #54

Traded in my 2595 for an RV660 when Garmin said the 760 was discontinued and never looked back. 3 trips about 2,000 miles and no problems. Love the extra info on screen and more configurable data shown. Used to like calling the 2595 by name instead of now just saying voice command to the 660.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 10:34 PM   #55

A couple of things. First I copied this from the Garmin site while checking out the new RV GPS 770:
updates are made available on Garmin.com during the useful life of 1 compatible Garmin product or as long as Garmin receives map data from a third party supplier
Bottom line, Garmin does NOT do the map updates, as someone else noted, they get the data from someone else. You should see a license notification as the GPS boots up. If you point out an issue, it is up to the third party to make the change, sometimes they do, some times they don't. I know of a spot in the Lexington KY area that GPS's show as a road. In reality it is a bike trail. If you look at satellite views of the spot, it is obvious that there hasn't been a road there for over 20 years. Several people have tried to get it updated on different brands of GPS. The third party has refused to make the change stating that "government information says it's a street".

And since humans, those absolutely perfect beings do the updates, we get what we get.

I've had several Garmin units over the years starting with a GPS-III, remember those black triangular things - minimal road info, no voice, no intersection, no Bluetooth, etc. Tried to avoid a bad backup on an interstate and ended up on an ORV trail... It took a half hour of going back and forth to find a real road.

I know it will occasionally lead me astray, but I can compensate for that. Know exactly where you want to go first - if it is not a common destination and double check the GPS.

I currently have a Garmin 3597 of which the best feature is the magnetic mount - no wire to connect, just hold it close to the mount and it connects itself. I've had several other GPS's that failed because I plugged and unplugged it to many times. Personally for towing, I'm debating on the trucker vs the RV 7xx and the RV6xx versions. I may end up using two GPS's in addition to some good maps. (I've already been in a situation where two different model GPS's provided conflicting routes.)

I really like the features on how to navigate junctions and intersections - what lane do you REALLY need to be in to get where you are going. I plan on submitting a recommendation to add a feature about propane (I wonder how many designers at Garmin are RVers).

In the end, they are tools. Tools help you achieve an objective. No tool is perfect and no tool handles all requirements. Do you use a screwdriver to drive nails? So, find the toolset that gets you to where you are going.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 03:59 AM   #56

I now use a homing pigeon tied to a divining rod with twine, and a Ouija board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Surprised 5picker? It seems like a popular train of thought now days. Someone posts up about getting a cobjob with a new rig, yet praises the manufacturer and throws out the "its a house on wheels" or "its an RV and they are all like that" mumbo jumbo.

I like to buy something and find out it does what the manufacturer tells me it would do.............every time I have the need to use it. But I'm weird.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 10:05 AM   #57

"Navteq is Garmin's current map supplier. Navteq gets its information from a number of sources. Some government and private." GPS Review Forum.

With everything not necessary turned off, including antivirus... observed low of about 329K MB/s to 377K MB/s (8 x 377K = 3,016,000 bits per second). Before connecting to Garmin, ping times were excellent.

Of course, everyone knows speed isn't only about bandwidth? If you have excess latency, it doesn't matter how broad the pipe. Like a highway, if traffic isn't moving it doesn't matter how many lanes there are. Also, when you buy a certain bandwidth from a provider; that is the most you can hope for; not what is guaranteed; since there are no guarantees.

5.40 has new vehicle icons, is the first thing I noticed... but who really cares. It is clearly routing differently whether with or without trailer... so I am optimistic. I do understand that the fastest way or the shortest way might not be the smartest way and there is no substitute for planning.

W

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 10:27 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
A couple of things. First I copied this from the Garmin site while checking out the new RV GPS 770:
updates are made available on Garmin.com during the useful life of 1 compatible Garmin product or as long as Garmin receives map data from a third party supplier
Bottom line, Garmin does NOT do the map updates, as someone else noted, they get the data from someone else. You should see a license notification as the GPS boots up. If you point out an issue, it is up to the third party to make the change, sometimes they do, some times they don't. I know of a spot in the Lexington KY area that GPS's show as a road. In reality it is a bike trail. If you look at satellite views of the spot, it is obvious that there hasn't been a road there for over 20 years. Several people have tried to get it updated on different brands of GPS. The third party has refused to make the change stating that "government information says it's a street".

And since humans, those absolutely perfect beings do the updates, we get what we get.

I've had several Garmin units over the years starting with a GPS-III, remember those black triangular things - minimal road info, no voice, no intersection, no Bluetooth, etc. Tried to avoid a bad backup on an interstate and ended up on an ORV trail... It took a half hour of going back and forth to find a real road.

I know it will occasionally lead me astray, but I can compensate for that. Know exactly where you want to go first - if it is not a common destination and double check the GPS.

I currently have a Garmin 3597 of which the best feature is the magnetic mount - no wire to connect, just hold it close to the mount and it connects itself. I've had several other GPS's that failed because I plugged and unplugged it to many times. Personally for towing, I'm debating on the trucker vs the RV 7xx and the RV6xx versions. I may end up using two GPS's in addition to some good maps. (I've already been in a situation where two different model GPS's provided conflicting routes.)

I really like the features on how to navigate junctions and intersections - what lane do you REALLY need to be in to get where you are going. I plan on submitting a recommendation to add a feature about propane (I wonder how many designers at Garmin are RVers).

In the end, they are tools. Tools help you achieve an objective. No tool is perfect and no tool handles all requirements. Do you use a screwdriver to drive nails? So, find the toolset that gets you to where you are going.
The last part about using tools to help you achieve an objective is so true.
RV_Fan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 11:08 AM   #59

We pretty much rely on our RV760LMT (REALLY eyeing the 770 so if you are in the market, PM me with a offer for our RV760 LMT )

Back on topic...

Even though we use the RV760, we have a copy of the most current Rand McNally truckers atlas just so we can get a overview of the day's itinerary. The one shortcoming of any GPS is it has a hard time giving you the "big picture" - this is what we use the Atlas for.

Route planning. I have yet to find a route planner better than this:
Home of the Best RV Trip Planner Ever - Give it a try!

Sure it is a subscription but well worth the $ to me. Their base map is Google and they are constantly updating their campground POI database. plus, you can download your route to your GPS. Sweet.
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 11:13 AM   #60

Trucker1952

I have been an over the road driver for the past 30 plus years. I have used the 560 LMT and I can honestly say that 99% of the time it is accurate. That being said, there will always be those times and or locations where you will run into an issue. I have had a few of those. What you must remember is it is transferred by satellite and thus brings up the issue of weather, climate, terrain, and any other odd interferences. No matter what brand you purchase, NONE of them can guarantee that you will never receive inaccurate information. After all, most campsites and off grid boondocks ng is just that, off grid. I hope I have assisted you in some helpful information.
Trucker1952 is offline   Reply With Quote