Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2017, 11:17 AM   #61

Please scroll down to Trucker 19 52 responce
Trucker1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 11:23 AM   #62

AND..........due to a certain amount of insanity and unbelievableness of both Amazon AND the U.S. Postal Service in the last few days, by the end of the day tomorrow I very well may have two of these 760's. If so and if you want a brand new one, PM me!!! LOL

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 04:06 PM   #63
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
"Navteq is Garmin's current map supplier. Navteq gets its information from a number of sources. Some government and private." GPS Review Forum.

With everything not necessary turned off, including antivirus... observed low of about 329K MB/s to 377K MB/s (8 x 377K = 3,016,000 bits per second). Before connecting to Garmin, ping times were excellent.

Of course, everyone knows speed isn't only about bandwidth? If you have excess latency, it doesn't matter how broad the pipe. Like a highway, if traffic isn't moving it doesn't matter how many lanes there are. Also, when you buy a certain bandwidth from a provider; that is the most you can hope for; not what is guaranteed; since there are no guarantees.

5.40 has new vehicle icons, is the first thing I noticed... but who really cares. It is clearly routing differently whether with or without trailer... so I am optimistic. I do understand that the fastest way or the shortest way might not be the smartest way and there is no substitute for planning.

W
Garmin updates are notoriously slow. I start my updates before I go to bed and its done in the morning. It takes at least 3 hours for mine to update. I have great bandwidth at home so its Garmin's server and/or their hardware (including the USB port on the GPS unit) that's the bottleneck.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 04:10 PM   #64

I have a RV760 but the 770 looks interesting. Maybe the 760 might have a accident, it says it will tell you about speed traps and red light cameras

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 05:17 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
Garmin has a webpage to report any errors back to them.

https://my.garmin.com/mapErrors/report.faces

Has anyone had experience reporting errors?
x2 with jlreeves. Took a single report, with pictures and about 4 months later, I was no longer directed to turn into what is now a cement barricade. It accepted my recommendation for new route (even though it was a no brainer.)

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 11:36 AM   #66

Here is a question. Would the truckers version of the GPS be as good or better than the RV version if one is not concerned with any POI's? And for the sake of discussion, although important, set aside the cost of the unit.

I already have a Garmin GPS for the motorcycle (Zumo 390LM), and looking for a GPS that will do the weight/size routes. Already did a cross country trip using google maps (have android auto in the truck), and that proved to be interesting in two locations. The truck/trailer just gets me to a location that I have already researched. All sightseeing or exploring is on the bike.

Thanks
Mark
Wileykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 08:27 PM   #67

You can turn off "what's ahead" if that means anything. I'm trying to figure out how turn off audible and visual warning for every speed change. A nuisance.
W

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 04:05 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
This is the new model, the only diffence I read is this model has wifi so you don't need a computer to down load map updates. That's not worth a 100.00 more that they are asking, the 760lmt will do the same except wifi. Thanks for the information
I have been looking at the NEW Garmin RV 770LMT-S model and their is a lot more updates than just the wifi capability.
The screen resolution is 1024 x 600
The screen is 6.9" wide and not diagonal measurement
It has a much faster processor
It uses Garmin Apps for many functions free such as latest weather radar, Live Tracking that interfaces with Facebook to show your location as you want, Uses TripAdvisor as well as FourSquare Pois.
Has Voice commands and give you details about turns ahead such as turn right at the next light on Beal St. Or may say right turn at the QT station on right.
Has junction and lane assist which it great function and have had it in my present Garmin

Here is some more Facts
  • Lifetime Map and Traffic Updates
  • Customized RV Routing
  • Clear Navigation and Controls
  • Data From TripAdvisor and Foursquare
  • Garmin Real Directions with Garmin Real Voice
  • Driver Alerts
  • Bluetooth Connectivity
  • Smartwatch Compatible
  • WiFi for Updates
  • RV-Specific Features

• You'll find it easier, safer, and more enjoyable to pilot your recreational vehicle over the open road with the Garmin RV 770 LMT-S GPS Navigator, featuring lifetime map and traffic updates for North America. Its easy-to-view, 7" color touchscreen display provides road warnings and custom routing based on the size and weight of your RV or towable trailer, and even includes a directory to RV Parks & Services.

The RV 770 LMT-S features Easy Route Shaping, Elevation Profile information, and millions more new and popular places to visit and explore, thanks to data from TripAdvisor and Foursquare. You can command the navigator with hands-free spoken instructions, and it speaks back to you with audible turn-by-turn directions and helpful information such as Active Lane Guidance and Junction View. Bluetooth connectivity displays incoming calls and texts on the screen and allows you to make calls without taking your hands off the wheel.

Lifetime Map and Traffic Updates Pair the navigator with your compatible mobile device using the free Smartphone Link app, and you'll have the most up-to-date maps, traffic alerts and relevant rerouting suggestions. The app also enables LiveTrack, which lets you share your location with family or friends. Customized RV Routing The RV 77 LMT-S is pre-loaded with maps for North America, with additional RV-related information such as bridge heights and steep grades. You can enter information about your vehicle, such as height, weight, length, width, and hazardous materials, to find routes that work for your trip. There is even a Trip Planner that lets you create multi-stop routes and save them for future trips.

Also, a directory of America's RV Parks & Services provides a listing of nearly 20,000 sites in the US and Canada for places that you can rest and explore. It lets you search by certain amenities as well so you can find what you want. Additionally, it has more than 14,000 service locations in case you need a repair. Clear Navigation and Controls With a 7" LCD touchscreen you will be able to clearly see the map and with a built-in speaker you will hear spoken turn-by-turn direction as well. Combine this with a built-in microphone and you will easily be able to make corrections and tell the GPS where you would like to go without lifting a finger from the steering wheel.

Other features in this model include Active Lane Guidance and Junction View for navigating tricky interchanges. Route avoidance will assist in delivering a more pleasant trip by giving options to avoid problematic roads and tolls. Data From TripAdvisor and Foursquare The RV 770 provides info from TripAdvisor on hotels, restaurants, and attractions at your destination and on your journey, along with Foursquare data on millions of restaurants, entertainment venues, shops, and other points of interest. Garmin Real Directions with Garmin Real Voice Garmin Real Directions are easy-to-understand directions that guide you with recognizable landmarks, buildings, and traffic lights. Real Voice is refined speech technology that sounds less like a robot and more natural to the ear. Driver Alerts The RV 770 LMT features Driver Alerts about road hazards such as sharp curves, speed changes, railroad crossings, and animal crossings. The navigator will warn you if you end up going the wrong way on a one-way street, and alert you to nearby schools and school zones. Receive notifications for nearby red light cameras and speed cameras (in jurisdictions that permit them), and even get fatigue warnings that suggest potential rest areas after several hours of driving. Bluetooth Connectivity Connect to a mobile device running Android to access Garmin Live Services to receive real-time information on for things like weather on your device. Make hands-free phone calls, and see incoming calls, text messages and calendar reminders without having to reach for your phone. It also offers the convenience of voice-activated navigation. Say "voice command," and then simply command your navigator with your voice while your hands remain on the steering wheel. Smartwatch Compatible Pair with compatible Garmin smartwatches for driver alerts on your wrist and compass guidance back to the RV after a day of enjoying the local sights. WiFi for Updates Built-in WiFi allows the navigator to receive updates to its maps or software automatically, as long as you're connected to a home WiFi network or any public WiFi network that doesn't require web browser sign-in. RV-Specific Features
  • Directory of America's RV Parks and Service locations
  • RV-specific points-of-interest are provided
  • Exit areas and what services they provide
  • Display elevation grade of current road
  • State border notices, speed limit changes, sunrise/sunset, and mile marker info
Other Features
  • Built-in rechargeable Li-ion battery with 1 hour runtime
  • microSD card port for placing other files on the device
  • Custom points-of-interest to add favorite spots
  • Built-in solid state memory for storing up to 1000 waypoints/favorites/locations
  • Backup camera compatible
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 04:42 PM   #69

Geez iggy. One would think you are getting a commission. Lol.

I think the only thing left out is that it can connect to their wireless backup camara.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 04:45 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDAMAN174 View Post
Geez iggy. One would think you are getting a commission. Lol.

I think the only thing left out is that it can connect to their wireless backup camara.

This is typically me researching what I want in great detail before I buy.
This large Garmin GPS looks promising for everyone.
Old 02-19-2017, 05:26 PM   #71
Censored Member

LOL, all those features and enhancements and most of only want a GPS for the RV the provides a route that you can depend on all the time. That GPS still doesn't exist.
ManlyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 05:59 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManlyMan View Post
LOL, all those features and enhancements and most of only want a GPS for the RV the provides a route that you can depend on all the time. That GPS still doesn't exist.
Sure it does. I have a Garmin 2595 presently and have used it while travelling around the US the past 5 years and over 50,000 miles and I never got lost. I update the new maps 2 or 3 times a year to keep up with the newly build interchanges and cloverleaf's in the big cities but all in all most major interstates don't change much.
They are the best thing around unless you want to try and use a map while driving.

Sound like you have had bad results in the past with GPS's.
Old 02-19-2017, 06:27 PM   #73

And the 2597 has the 7 inch screen which is tons helpful no matter what you drive. No squinting here.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 07:15 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDAMAN174 View Post
And the 2597 has the 7 inch screen which is tons helpful no matter what you drive. No squinting here.

You do need that being much older than I am.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:34 AM   #75

Got the RV 760 for Christmas, 5 weeks on the road and 3,000 miles later...NOT happy. It has some nice features but it cannot map out the same route twice. Yep, starting at the same spot and going to the same destination it uses lottery info to determine the route. I think it accepted money from Walmart to take me past more of its stores.
2017 Laredo 325RL Sold
2016 Vengeance 29V Sold
1970 Yellowstone Used as down payment for first house
FrankG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 10:23 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankG View Post
Got the RV 760 for Christmas, 5 weeks on the road and 3,000 miles later...NOT happy. It has some nice features but it cannot map out the same route twice. Yep, starting at the same spot and going to the same destination it uses lottery info to determine the route. I think it accepted money from Walmart to take me past more of its stores.
I like that explanation about Walmart.
Garmin is coming out with a RV 770 LMT-S in a few weeks and I have been looking at it as a replacement to my 2011 Garmin. It lists for $400 and for that price I may need to shop more at Walmart. LOL
Old 02-20-2017, 09:20 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankG View Post
Hmm. Sounds like the algorithm they are using to optimize the route needs tuning.
Are you regenerating the route immediately? If your are getting different routes at different times, could the unit be factoring in traffic issues? I know my Nuvi 3597 has tried to route me around a traffic backup - but I knew better! Took me an extra hour to go 8 miles!
You might want to check your settings too. I was in Ocean City NJ heading back to Michigan and wanted to go via West Chester PA. Couldn't figure out why the GPS routed me all the way up to Philadelphia and back south. It did find a free bridge over the Deleware river! Turns out the "avoid toll roads" setting overrode the "use fastest route" setting and found me what I said I wanted!
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 10:58 PM   #78

I have the Garmin RV760 and I had another Garmin and both tell the wrong way to enter Ocean Lakes campground in Myrtle Beach SC. I wonder why that is. Also River Plantation RV campground in Pigeon Forge TN tell the wrong way to enter campground. It's like someone said if the Garmin says to go one way to get to a restaurant the Garmin will send you another way to get back from where you started. I use Garmin GPS but I also use maps, I trust the maps more.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 11:27 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I trust the maps more.
Watch out, people may start calling you a Ludite!!!
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 12:25 PM   #80
Canadian Member

I just bought the Garmin RV 760LMT on Amazon.ca. It arrived yesterday. After opening the box, I immediately plugged it into my computer to charge it and to update all the software and maps using the latest version of Garmin Express. I was very pleasantly surprised that it completed the update (7 items) in well under an hour. My old Gamin 265W had to be left overnight to complete a map update.

I'll be using this new unit in my 2016 F-250. Does anyone have any recommendations for:

1) What mount to use - Garmin's included windshield suction cup vs. a dash mount.

2) Case for storage - I intend to remove it from the truck, or at least keep it out of sight, when not in use so it's not tempting for any would-be thieves. So I want to get a case for it. Garmin sells a soft cover pouch for about US$17 but it doesn't look like it will hold any cables.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote