Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2017, 09:27 PM   #1
2016 Rockwood 8325SS

Garmin RV 760LMT GPS

I am interested in any reviews about this GPS unit. If you own one or have used this unit, I would like to hear about what you think about the features of this unit. I am looking for a new RV GPS unit that would make travel more enjoyable and staying away from problem roads for large RV units.
Barstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 04:37 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barstorm View Post
I am interested in any reviews about this GPS unit. If you own one or have used this unit, I would like to hear about what you think about the features of this unit. I am looking for a new RV GPS unit that would make travel more enjoyable and staying away from problem roads for large RV units.
I have had the 760LMT since it came out, I had it preordered on Amazon back around 2012 or 13 and at the time paid top $ since it was new out. I think its worthless. Do not trust the parameters you can set as to weights, lengths etc. Its not so much the GPS function is bad as it is the database used is inaccurate. It has been inaccurate since day one and has never been corrected through the Garmin software updates.

You will get "RV accessibility" unknown messages a lot once you get off the major highways. I have had at least 4 occurrences where I entered a specific campground or park listed in its database, and it took me to the wrong location. By that I mean the correct location on the GPS, but not in the real world. In Vermont it took me to a washed out bridge that had went out in Irene about 4 years prior, and to a locked gate on a narrow road which was supposed to be an ACOE campground. I had to back up at least 1/2 a mile to turn around. The actual campground was about 10 miles away on another road. I reported every discrepancy in the database I have found via email to Garmin and received a thanks and acknowledgement. As far as the latest software update none I reported were ever corrected even though reported 2 or 3 years ago or longer.

The device itself is good quality as the Garmin stuff always seems to be, the issue is the software/database. Its not much good to me if I have to check out other map sites to be sure the GPS is not going to take me to Hooterville or Pixley when I am trying to get to a campground somewhere.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 06:05 AM   #3

I received the RV760 for Christmas and will be taking it on it's first cross country journey in a few days. I will agree with Mr. Havercamp that you are driving blind once off of federal and state roads. I connected it to the truck's audio system via a audio cable, that is an improvement for me. It is also pared with my cell phone so there is weather information and other stuff available. It appears that the device has all the basic stuff I need and can be accessed through voice commands so there is minimal distractions from driving.

I scraped the window mount and purchased a custom dash mount from "Proclip USA". You need the mount and the Ball adapter to fit the back of the 760. This put the unit within easy reach and eye sight. Much better than the built in navigation systems.
2017 Laredo 325RL Sold
2016 Vengeance 29V Sold
1970 Yellowstone Used as down payment for first house
FrankG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 07:43 AM   #4

I have had 3 Garmins, I think this one is one of the best, I really don't get lost from it, one time it did take me down a road to a CG that had no access to it. I guess it used to be the gate along time ago is what I was told from the CG, they said it happens to everyone and to use the new address. If I go off course when on RV mode it will say no data or RV accessibility known
or what ever will come up on top forgot now. It is worth the money but we still use paper maps to... JUST DON"T PUT ALL YOUR EGGS IN ONE BASKET. Also it will not route you down a road that you can run into a low overhang, a plus in my book. It does alot more then I use.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 08:21 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I have had my garmin RV 760lmt for 2 years now. I have had zero issues with it in RV mode or auto mode. No size parameter issues either so that could have been an issue with the first model the above poster mentioned. My only complaint is the size. I wish it was available in 5". I feel it is too big. It blocked my vision on the truck dash so I got a cigarette lighter style mount for it. Better but it vibrates out of place on long rides. This god has taken me from NC to IN, VA, TN and around NC towing. It has taken me to MD, PA, NJ and around NC not towing. No issues. I would buy it again.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 08:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
I have had the 760LMT since it came out, I had it preordered on Amazon back around 2012 or 13 and at the time paid top $ since it was new out. I think its worthless. Do not trust the parameters you can set as to weights, lengths etc. Its not so much the GPS function is bad as it is the database used is inaccurate. It has been inaccurate since day one and has never been corrected through the Garmin software updates.

You will get "RV accessibility" unknown messages a lot once you get off the major highways. I have had at least 4 occurrences where I entered a specific campground or park listed in its database, and it took me to the wrong location. By that I mean the correct location on the GPS, but not in the real world. In Vermont it took me to a washed out bridge that had went out in Irene about 4 years prior, and to a locked gate on a narrow road which was supposed to be an ACOE campground. I had to back up at least 1/2 a mile to turn around. The actual campground was about 10 miles away on another road. I reported every discrepancy in the database I have found via email to Garmin and received a thanks and acknowledgement. As far as the latest software update none I reported were ever corrected even though reported 2 or 3 years ago or longer.

The device itself is good quality as the Garmin stuff always seems to be, the issue is the software/database. Its not much good to me if I have to check out other map sites to be sure the GPS is not going to take me to Hooterville or Pixley when I am trying to get to a campground somewhere.
We replaced our Garmin with this Model " RV 760LMT GPS" last year so it is NOT Old Tec! I agree 100% with the above ,we have entered Requests and came up with ZERO! While being damn near on Top of the Location! Don't ONLY depend on these,have a Backup! Youroo!!
Old 01-17-2017, 09:19 AM   #7

I have the RV760 it works fine for me my only complaint is in the RV mode it tells me that all curves are sharp turns, very annoying
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 09:29 AM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

I've made a 3,000 mile trip last fall and the thing I noticed was you need to change the RV/Auto mode accordingly. If you have your RV hooked up and make a wrong turn it will take you for a long safe turn around. If your in the Auto/car mode you may de directed to make a U-turn instead of a 5 mile turn around with the RV mode on.
When in heavy traffic or an accident area, it knows different routes to save you time to get around it. It will ask you first if you want to change your route. That is when it is paired with your cell phone.
I would check my phone for google maps before I make a long trip for the day to confirm the route.
I would buy it again.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 10:12 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
I have had 3 Garmins, I think this one is one of the best, I really don't get lost from it, one time it did take me down a road to a CG that had no access to it. I guess it used to be the gate along time ago is what I was told from the CG, they said it happens to everyone and to use the new address. If I go off course when on RV mode it will say no data or RV accessibility known
or what ever will come up on top forgot now. It is worth the money but we still use paper maps too... JUST DON"T PUT ALL YOUR EGGS IN ONE BASKET. Also it will not route you down a road that you can run into a low overhang, a plus in my book. It does alot more then I use.
Me too. But I was castigated for being an Old Fogey (LOL) for wanting to know where to get state maps...........

I do find it interesting to wonder what the source of the map data is. If a printed map is more up to date than an electronic map that is dynamically fed by a real-time satellite, then I would have to assume the original data for the two are from different sources. That said, why on Earth (pardon the pun) would the printed map be the one that is most up to date????

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 10:13 AM   #10

Garmin GPS

The 760LMT is an awesome improvement to the Garmin family...love the actual pictures of exit signs and the divided highway lanes....totally recommend for anyone!
ynott96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 10:23 AM   #11

760LMT

I have had the 760LMT for about a year and have found it to be very good tool. I do use the voice command from time to time. I have not found it to be terribly inaccurate and I do like the advance notice you get in the RV mode for exits and lane changes. I definitely do not trust the height notices and still have my trailer height memorized. The one thing I have noticed is that some tunnels have propane restrictions and this unit doesn't make note of that. You need to be aware of that sort of thing separate from the unit.

I like it and would buy it again but don't use it when unhitched. It's too big and my onboard unit (GOOGLE MAPS driven entertainment system) is just fine for every day needs.

Marty
Old 01-17-2017, 11:22 AM   #12
Mod free 5er

Have had it for about 3 yrs and no complaints. We usually stay on state or federal hwys, so I can't vouch for county roads or campgrounds out in the boonies.
Old 01-17-2017, 11:32 AM   #13

I got the RV660 for a Christmas gift and have had in the truck since. I haven't used it while towing the trailer, yet, but I really like it so far. I did some searches, and it seems the degree of success people were having, was directly tied to how they put in your parameters.

Many country roads near me have restrictions except for local delivery. If the unit were to try avoiding those roads, I'd be taking the long way around... I think that people just need to play with the parameters to get acceptable results.

Then again, I may be optimistic as I don't have a lot of time with it, yet.
2016 - 47 nights
2017 - 47 nights
LandJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 12:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
Me too. But I was castigated for being an Old Fogey (LOL) for wanting to know where to get state maps...........

I do find it interesting to wonder what the source of the map data is. If a printed map is more up to date than an electronic map that is dynamically fed by a real-time satellite, then I would have to assume the original data for the two are from different sources. That said, why on Earth (pardon the pun) would the printed map be the one that is most up to date????
If you buy a new map it is up to date more then Garmin. garmin will not show the new by-pass's that are being put in around Atlanta Ga. but the new map does. Garmin is way behind in making any new by-passes, it's a joke... Check your garmin against a new map and you will see. Or spend the money and by a new Rand Mcnally Atlas and compare. They have to keep up yearly or they don't sell maps, you bought the garmin already, it will take atleast 2 years in my opinion for Garmin to catch up...PS: if Garmin is mapping up to date by satellite to your garmin why do you think they have Life time map up dates? only satellite they use is for GPS not sending maps to your Garmin.

Old 01-17-2017, 12:03 PM   #15
geezer with gadgets

We've had ours for two years. Made two 7,000+ mile trips around the USA visiting family and friends without any issues. We also keep WAZE running on our android phone just for backup if needed. Just wanted to let you know.

Happy travels...

Sent from my Atari 2600
2011 Sunseeker 3170ds "Ladybug"
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee TOAD
Days camped 2015: 37; 2016: 66; 2017: 86 2018: 57 2019: 30
757Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 12:48 PM   #16

FYI......
Good luck, I won't be biting this time around.........

http://rvdailyreport.com/products/ga...live-services/
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 01:31 PM   #17

New one coming in March - RV 770 LMT-S Navigator

Advanced Navigation for the Camping Enthusiast

• RV routing¹ and road warnings help guide your RV or towable trailer
  • Use the Smartphone Link app² to access live traffic, basic weather and more
  • Hands-free features include Bluetooth® calling³, smart notifications5 and voice-activated navigation
  • Directory of RV Parks & Services; filter campground search results based on your preferred amenities
  • Built-in Wi-Fi® for easy North American lifetime map4 and software updates when you’re on the road; no computer needed
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/57...T2049#overview
Our traveling companions: Papaya and Satang
Birdman76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 02:27 PM   #18

I'm with Mr Havercamp, My RV 760 LM is not trust worthy , I can be next to an exit and it wants me to go 5 miles out of my way to get off and track back. And the GPS is to heavy for the mount as I have to keep adjusting it
LaVern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 02:27 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdman76 View Post
New one coming in March - RV 770 LMT-S Navigator

Advanced Navigation for the Camping Enthusiast

• RV routing¹ and road warnings help guide your RV or towable trailer
  • Use the Smartphone Link app² to access live traffic, basic weather and more
  • Hands-free features include Bluetooth® calling³, smart notifications5 and voice-activated navigation
  • Directory of RV Parks & Services; filter campground search results based on your preferred amenities
  • Built-in Wi-Fi® for easy North American lifetime map4 and software updates when you’re on the road; no computer needed
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/57...T2049#overview
This is the new model, the only diffence I read is this model has wifi so you don't need a computer to down load map updates. That's not worth a 100.00 more that they are asking, the 760lmt will do the same except wifi. Thanks for the information

Old 01-17-2017, 02:47 PM   #20

We purchased this garmin about a year ago. No problems with the unit so far. I update it just before we take a trip.
Mahlstedtd is offline   Reply With Quote