Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2019, 01:34 PM   #1

Garmin RV760 GPS

I have had my Garmin for awhile and it normally works pretty good, it has taken me on scenic route a few times. About 2 weeks ago the gps started dropping the posted speed limit on secondary roads in the county plus back streets in town. I met some new campers recently and was told about this site and how many knowledgeable people this forum had. These GPS units are not cheap, I depend on the posted speed limit on the garmin. Any help would be very appreciated. First post but maybe not my last
jimmycaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 01:50 PM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Have you connected it to the internet and done an update?
Might be time since you've had it a while.

Garmin Updates and Downloads

Welcome to the forum!
I see it is your 1st post.
Set-up and add your R/V information in your signature so everyone knows what you have.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 02:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Have you connected it to the internet and done an update?
Might be time since you've had it a while.

Garmin Updates and Downloads

Welcome to the forum!
I see it is your 1st post.
Set-up and add your R/V information in your signature so everyone knows what you have.

X2 I agree. And sometimes the update will include any glitch patches as well.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 03:27 PM   #4

Thanks. I did a update two days ago. But I’ll do it again.
Old 12-03-2019, 03:33 PM   #5
Site Team

Did it drop the speed limit on roads that it previously didn't?
In the absence of actual speed limit data the software uses road class data to display the normal speed limit for that type (class) road.

We have a Garmin Nuvi that automatically drops the speed limit in school zones to 35mph whether that's the actual speed limit or not and it also drops it whether it within school hours or not. And there's no way to turn it off.
Old 12-03-2019, 03:56 PM   #6
Multi-Slacker

Welcome from SoCal! Enjoying your question even though I do not have an answer.
Old 12-03-2019, 04:00 PM   #7
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmycaps View Post
Thanks. I did a update two days ago. But I’ll do it again.
That would have been good information to include in your original post.

So... did this happen after the update or did you try to fix the issue with the update?

To my knowledge, the base firmware/data can't change without updating so if it worked OK and no update was done and it stopped working, you may have hardware issues.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 05:52 PM   #8
NXR

I had a weird one with my RV 785 today. On I-75 south in Georgia we passed a sign that read

40 MPH
Minimum Speed

As we passed it, the RV 785 changed the speed limit sign on its display from 70 to 40 and stayed there for a while. I don't know when it changed back.

Ray
Old 12-03-2019, 07:21 PM   #9

I have mine set up for both automobile use and for when I have the 5th wheel attached. I'm not quite sure but, I seem to recall that when I'm using just the plain automobile setting, it doesn't alert you of changes in speed limits, height restrictions, school zones etc. Maybe that's why you're not seeing the changes on the screen....check to see what vehicle mode it's in.

Someone chime in if I'm wrong.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 07:54 PM   #10
Retired Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
I had a weird one with my RV 785 today. On I-75 south in Georgia we passed a sign that read

40 MPH
Minimum Speed

As we passed it, the RV 785 changed the speed limit sign on its display from 70 to 40 and stayed there for a while. I don't know when it changed back.

Ray
That's sign is all over the interstates in GA. It's been that way forever. 40MPH is the *MINIMUM* speed for any vehicle on all interstates in GA. I guess they had an issue with farm vehicles or something at one time way back and started posting the signs? Not sure about the origin of that though.

But when you get to Atlanta, it's not even a suggestion. I-285 is more like a NASCAR oval or demolition derby track than an interstate on some days.

dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 08:56 PM   #11

Also use a Garmin. I've noticed that stretches of road with construction reduced speed limits at the time of my last update do not change back to the regular speed limits until the next update.
Towing 2016 Chevy Sonic LT
TLAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 10:59 PM   #12
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dward51 View Post
That's sign is all over the interstates in GA. It's been that way forever. 40MPH is the *MINIMUM* speed for any vehicle on all interstates in GA. I guess they had an issue with farm vehicles or something at one time way back and started posting the signs? Not sure about the origin of that though.

But when you get to Atlanta, it's not even a suggestion. I-285 is more like a NASCAR oval or demolition derby track than an interstate on some days.

Wow, thanks for that observation ‘cause we’re going through Atlanta on Wednesday...

Ray
Old 12-03-2019, 11:02 PM   #13
Retired Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Wow, thanks for that observation ‘cause we’re going through Atlanta on Wednesday...

Ray
Rush hour starts at 6Am to about 8:30ish and starts to thicken up around 3:30pm until about 7:30pm. The afternoons are the worst, and from 5:00 to 7:00 you can sometimes walk faster than you can drive on the interstates. All it takes is one accident to start a chain reaction of traffic backup. If you can get through in the middle of the day, Atlanta is not too bad. but if you hit peak hours and it backs up, it will stay messed up for a while.

Listen to WSB radio at 750am or 95.5fm for constant traffic updates (between the talk radio in the middle of the day). They tend to have the best traffic info IMO. They do traffic every 5 minutes during the peak times.

Oh, the locals think indicator signals for lane changes are for woosies and only need about 3' of space between you and the car in front of you to think they can fit in. They will force their way in. Not everyone is like that, but there are enough to make the drive more aggravating. Plan your lane changes well in advance would be my advice.

Also the HOV lanes in mid-town are non-RV (but free for 2 or more in a passenger vehicle which includes pickup trucks). Beware the "HOT" or EXPRESS lanes on I-85 and I-75 north of the city. They are pay 24/7 and totally prohibit RV's and trucks with trailers. The toll varies depending on the traffic volume. More traffic, more expense to use (HOT mean High Occupancy Traffic lane). You must have a transducer to use those lanes before you use them even without a RV/trailer. It is photo enforced and they will mail you a bill for a travel trailer or no transducer, no matter what state you are from (no pay can suspend license also). On the north side of town GSP (GA State Patrol) is pretty much going to be out there somewhere on any given day in a group enforcing both speed and lane violations.

Traffic is one of the reasons I retired. Combine sitting in traffic a total of 3 hours every day with my increasing health issues, and it was a no brainer to get out of the Atlanta rush hour mess.
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 11:17 PM   #14
NXR

Thank you very much for that! We should be hitting Atlanta about noon (we’re in Cartersville right now) and I was wondering why the Garmin was telling me about toll roads.

So all I have to do is stay out of the express and HOT lanes? I know them as HOV lanes in other states. Yes, we are towing a car. I do have a transponder but it sounds like that doesn’t matter.

Ray
Old 12-04-2019, 10:08 AM   #15

The Garmin works great on major roads, it’s the back roads that I’m having problems with. This started about 2 weeks ago, I did a update and it didn’t help. I called Garmin but they couldn’t help me. I was asked to run a GPS simulator on the unit. I picked my address from my house to another address about 60 miles away. The Garmin did not pick up the posted speed limit on the road in front of my house, there is speed limit signs all along the road. Once the simulator came to a state road the Garmin picked up the posted speed limit on the unit. I plan on checking out my local Best Buy store and match a new Garmin to my unit. I need to see if there is any difference. I run a lot of back roads and I need to see the posted speed limit on the gps. Also in towns off the main street this unit doesn’t work, the unit will not pick up the posted speed. The unit will tell you how fast you are driving. The RV760 has always given me great service and was working great until about two weeks ago. I hate to spend more money on a different brand.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:16 AM   #16
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmycaps View Post
The Garmin works great on major roads, it’s the back roads that I’m having problems with. This started about 2 weeks ago, I did a update and it didn’t help. I called Garmin but they couldn’t help me. I was asked to run a GPS simulator on the unit. I picked my address from my house to another address about 60 miles away. The Garmin did not pick up the posted speed limit on the road in front of my house, there is speed limit signs all along the road. Once the simulator came to a state road the Garmin picked up the posted speed limit on the unit. I plan on checking out my local Best Buy store and match a new Garmin to my unit. I need to see if there is any difference. I run a lot of back roads and I need to see the posted speed limit on the gps. Also in towns off the main street this unit doesn’t work, the unit will not pick up the posted speed. The unit will tell you how fast you are driving. The RV760 has always given me great service and was working great until about two weeks ago. I hate to spend more money on a different brand.
I understand you claim your GPS provided the speed limits on lesser roads just weeks ago.
However, what I don’t understand is
“I need to see the posted speed on the gps”.
Why is that? Are there no speed limit signs posted?

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 10:33 AM   #17

The posted speed limit on on the Garmin lets me know if I’m speeding or not. I constantly check the gps. I don’t check the speed limit road signs a lot, I really depend on my gps. I can use Waze but it eats up a lot of data. Oh well I use a lot of data anyway, last month 360 gigs. Maybe if I buy a new truck it will come with a better GPS. Anyway I’ll check out the local Best Buy store. Doesn’t all the gps companies use the same satellites? Just use different software
Old 12-04-2019, 10:54 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post

We have a Garmin Nuvi that automatically drops the speed limit in school zones to 35mph whether that's the actual speed limit or not and it also drops it whether it within school hours or not. And there's no way to turn it off.
This is why I ignore any speed limits posted on my navigation screen. School Zones are pretty much all 20 mph and 35 is well over what any police officer might allow before issuing a citation.

Only thing I use the speed "function" on my navigation system is to make sure my speedometer is correct. From there on I just stay aware of posted speed and drive accordingly.

One possible trap for those who follow speed limits shown on their GPS system is the "Towing Speed Limit". in many States vehicles that have a "tow" (trailer or toad] have to follow any speed limit posted for Trucks. In my state that can be 60 mph and in California it's only 50. Those speed limits don't show on your screen.

Note: just because you don't see any troopers stopping people for exceeding the lower limit when towing doesn't mean they can't stop you.

BTW, in CA it can get real expensive if you do get stopped. If the "towing speed limit" is 50, and let's say you get stopped driving 75, the base fine may only be ~$70. However, there are all kinds of "Fees" added on top. Here's how a $70 traffic fine can end up costing you close to $500. Their "fees" are assessed on each $10 of the base fine so a $70 ticket multiplies the basic fees by 7.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...g18-story.html

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 11:52 AM   #19
Multi-Slacker

Mike, the CA towing speed limit is 55 on the freeways. Have not seen anything about towing on surface streets.
Old 12-04-2019, 12:09 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtPutnam View Post
Mike, the CA towing speed limit is 55 on the freeways. Have not seen anything about towing on surface streets.
My bad. I thought I ran into 50 mph signs but maybe it was just in the Siskiyous where entering from OR.

I'm guessing that unless truck speed limits are posted for surface streets "towing" would be same as regular speed.

Like anyone follows speed limits anywhere though[emoji849][emoji849]

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote