Old 02-18-2015, 02:34 PM   #21

OFF! There would probably never be a problem but why take the chance. We have traveled 5-6 hours with it off, made sure the refer door stayed closed or opened only to get a drink, etc and the temp barely dropped. Also, if it is on the pilot light on the refer is on and that is not good if you are getting gasoline!!!

Old 02-18-2015, 02:38 PM   #22
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund View Post
OFF! There would probably never be a problem but why take the chance. We have traveled 5-6 hours with it off, made sure the refer door stayed closed or opened only to get a drink, etc and the temp barely dropped. Also, if it is on the pilot light on the refer is on and that is not good if you are getting gasoline!!!
Newer refrigerators do not have pilot lights. We leave ours on all the time.

Old 02-18-2015, 03:16 PM   #23

Gas on Gas off

Hi all , I have to say no as I never travel with the gas on . I feel that if the fridge is cold and the door stays shut it will stay cold long enough to we arrive to where we are going , as for heating the unit the dash heat will do it . and as for a trailer the same thing if its cold warm it all up before you leave and then shut down . altho I don't mind warm beer ......
Old 02-18-2015, 03:44 PM   #24
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Leave it on!! When was the last time you heard first hand of a propane issue? As a matter of fact I just left Upper Michigan TO Arizona with my frig and furnace on. I needed the furnace on to keep the freezables warm. Just kept it at 50 degrees all the way.
2015 129 nites
2016 63 nites
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 04:07 PM   #25
Site Team

Thanks, PHrank!

Oops.............. wrong thread.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49 / '14 = 74 / '15 = 74 / '16 = 85 / '17 = 110; booked = 0
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 04:10 PM   #26
Site Team

74% of respondents travel with LP on as seen in our never ending poll found
here- Do you run with your LP on or off

Also this poll can be found in the FAQ/Refrigerator area.

Happy Trails!
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch, AirLift load levelers

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41,
2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 06:08 PM   #27

Would it effect the Poll if we just left the Gas on (36% of the Time)? Youroo!!
Old 02-18-2015, 11:36 PM   #28

We've been RVing since 1970 and have always traveled with the LP on to keep the refrigerator cold. When you travel in the south during the summer the temp can get to 100 +F, if you are on the road for 6 - 8 hours your refrigerator will get warm. There are some tunnels, I-10 going into Mobile, AL that won't let you go through, but have directions to avoid the tunnel.

We had an accident, an 18 wheeler decided to pass us on a narrow bridge, June
2012, our Suburban & Rockwood separated, both jumped a 12' ditch, Suburban rolled 2 -3 times, Rockwood landed on it's side. No LP problem. As Jen and Ethan said, When it's your time, it's your time. I guess it wasn't our time.
Old 02-19-2015, 02:50 PM   #29

Since we have an A-frame with the 3 way fridge, we travel with DC mode on. It draws about 6 amps in DC mode, which is not a battery killer for even a 90 minute stop. The small fridge in the A-frame and our pop-up before the A-frame run continuously in propane mode with cooling controlled by a manual propane valve. If the flame blows out while driving, you effectively have a small propane leak at the fridge vents. Hence my preference (and dealer recommendation) to drive in DC mode. In fact, I turn the propane off at the tank valves before driving away.

Some issues:

- cooling is weak in DC mode. Solution is to pre-cool in AC or propane before the trip. DC is sufficient to hold the fridge temp, but not to cool it down.

- forgetting to switch to propane mode at campground. I've seen PUP batteries ruined this way. I turn the fridge DC off before disconnecting the TV. Then start the propane burner (or put in AC mode) as soon as the A-frame is popped up.

- forgetting to switch to propane mode at a motel overnight. After having my TV hit twice in a motel parking lot while left hooked up, I seldom leave the camper hooked up during an overnight. This saves the TV battery at the very least if I happen to forget all else. The small camper is easy to hook/unhook so not a big deal.

just my thoughts and experiences
Fred W
Old 02-19-2015, 09:37 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund View Post
I agree. Turn my supply OFF. Refre stays cold until we reach our RV park.

Tags
gas, travel