Old 06-14-2015, 11:25 AM   #1

gas water heater

I have a 2007 Rockwood Signature 8314. Sometimes my gas water heater lights as it should but other times it scares me. I can hear it clicking and see the red light inside go out during this process, if it does not light successfully it tries again and sometimes scares me because I hear a whoosh.....
I stay here by myself and just turn it off, till i have the courage to try again.
I sure would appreciate any advice on what I should do or am I over reacting?
Thank You,
Mjn

Old 06-14-2015, 11:34 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Need to clean the burner flue.
Cob webs or rust can cause lighting issues.
If you don't have an air compressor to blow it out get a can of compressed air.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "9 nights"

Old 06-14-2015, 11:43 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjnix View Post
I have a 2007 Rockwood Signature 8314. Sometimes my gas water heater lights as it should but other times it scares me. I can hear it clicking and see the red light inside go out during this process, if it does not light successfully it tries again and sometimes scares me because I hear a whoosh.....
I stay here by myself and just turn it off, till i have the courage to try again.
I sure would appreciate any advice on what I should do or am I over reacting?
Thank You,
Mjn
Your Direct Spark Ignitor (the clicking you're hearing) will attempt three cycles to ignite the propane before going into a lockout mode (you have to turn the switch off, wait a hair, then turn it back on to override the lockout). Your light inside tells you the propane has not ignited, until it goes off...then you are good. If it stays on, then the propane did not ignite, and you are most likely in the lockout mode (which stops the propane too).

In a perfect scenario, the propane ignites on the very first cycle and it's good to go. However, it may not, and then go to a second cycle or even a third....before lockout occurs. If it goes to a second or third cycle, there may be some excess propane circulating around, which is the whoosh you may be hearing as it ALL ignites.

The system is designed to safely go thru the three cycles. However, if it doesn't light after 3 cycles you may want to wait a little and allow any excess propane to dissipate before attempting another go....after resetting the lockout if applicable.

There can be several reasons for the heater going to a second or third cycle if it does. You could have a dirty/partially clogged flue, the electronic ignitor could be weak/misaligned or other. Wind blowing hard onto the side of your RV where the water heater is, also can affect it.

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, heater, water, water heater