Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2014, 08:57 AM   #1

Generator cutting off while driving....

We have a 2015 Georgetown, bunkhouse model and we are having issues with the generator cutting off while we are driving. We travel with several show dogs crated in the bunkhouse and it's way too hot with no a/c.
It starts fine and sometimes runs for hours with no problem but more often cuts off every 10 minutes. Oil level is checked every few hours and gas level is never below 1/2 tank.
We run the inverter for the fridge while driving and wondered if that is interfering somehow.
The generator hasn't cut off once while we are parked and we have used it for entire weekends sitting still with no issues.
It has done this ever since we began trying to use it.
We travel mostly interstate.
If anyone has any input, please share. I am having trouble reaching the right person at the dealer, apparently!
Canine Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:28 AM   #2

Found this on the net doing a search. Here was the replies he got;

.........I had the same issue even after my carburetor was replaced. In my case it was a faulty low oil sensor on my Onan 4K generator. Any movement at all would cause the unit to shut down. It would run for hours without skipping a beat on their level lot. A few minutes after I decided to park it off level on my 3rd? trip to the shop, it shut off. Then they figured out what it was. The gen. shop unhooked the low oil sensor, and all has been good since, other than no longer having the low oil shut down feature.

........ My issue wasn't a low oil level, it was a bad oil level sensor. If the MH went around a corner, started up a hill/overpass, the generator would shut off. I asked them to replace the sensor and they said no. I forget (it was about 6 years ago) but if I remember correctly, it was really too big a job to do.

........ I had a similar problem while moving except the time it would run varied from a few minutes to a half hour or so. Mine turned out to be a loose clamp at the transition from rubber to steel fuel line near the gas tank. When vibration/bumps caused air to get sucked into the line the genny would quit but would restart after a few minutes. A Winnebago factory service tech figured it out and tightened the clamp. That was 9 or 10 years ago and it has worked fine since. A Winnie dealer and a Cummins shop had both failed to fix to fix it. They both replaced the fuel pump.

...... The shop I went to had a few different fixes/ideas to solve the problem before eventually realizing the low oil shut off was the problem. They replaced most of the fuel line to the tank since it was showing signs of breaking down internally (the MH was 11 years old at that time). On another visit they found something that was either loose or not set properly and thought that was the issue. I'd leave and get anywhere from a 1/2 mile to a mile down the road, only to have the generator die again. It was getting very frustrating , for me, and them also.

Hope that helps.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:41 AM   #3

So, based on that info, find a steep incline, park and see if the generator keeps running. If it quits, I vote sensor issue. Good luck.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:48 AM   #4
DDC

Could it be that the area that contains the generator is getting into a low air supply ( as you move a vacuum is being created), this would cause the problem you are having.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:56 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies! It is very frustrating to have an issue like this on a brand new unit. I am taking it now to find a hill!!!
Canine Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator