Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2013, 09:44 PM   #1

Question Gensis GT-3.0

Purchased a new 2013 Flagstaff V-Lite in Jan 2013. My wife and I carry the trailer out this past weekend. We love the V-Lite, lots of room and comfort. We tried to play a DVD, but not luck, got sound but no picture on the TV. checked connections on back of TV ok. Would appricate any suggests. We are new to the camping world. Retired last year thought we would give it a try-love it.
Larrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:00 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrybob View Post
Purchased a new 2013 Flagstaff V-Lite in Jan 2013. My wife and I carry the trailer out this past weekend. We love the V-Lite, lots of room and comfort. We tried to play a DVD, but not luck, got sound but no picture on the TV. checked connections on back of TV ok. Would appricate any suggests. We are new to the camping world. Retired last year thought we would give it a try-love it.
I hope you got a manual, but you have to tell it you want to view the DVD instead of the TV.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf GT3.0_11.26.2011.pdf (2.01 MB, 60 views)
File Type: pdf GT-3.0-5-4.pdf (1.83 MB, 38 views)
Old 03-19-2013, 10:06 PM   #3

You can check behind the dvd player for a loose connection.
Me and my wife with 3 kids love camping!!
dmf564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:10 PM   #4

You did change the input on your tv didn't you? You don't want 'antenna'.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:33 PM   #5

you need to put it on vidieo using the remote Read the manual
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:39 AM   #6
Always Learning

My TV switched inputs automatically when I put the DVD in. But, yours might not do that. So, first things first - make sure you try out all of the inputs.

Second, make sure that the cables to the back of the TV are in (I know you said you did, but it's worth repeating).

Third, it's possble that the cable isn't hooked into the back of the radio. Things get missed. The radio has a pretty cover around the outside that snaps off. The you unscrew between 2 and 4 screws to pull the radio itself out. In my case, I didn't have sound to my center channel - turns out, that cable wasn't plugged in. The Genesis have nice wiring diagrams on top of them to help aid you with the rats nest back there.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:14 PM   #7

Thanks for all the information, I have check the back of the unit, found the HDMI cable unplugged, put it back but still no picture from the DVD. While looking at all the wiring I found it odd that none of the 3 video out cables have a wire hooked to one of them going to the TV. The Video wire that is plugged in the TV comes from the deal where you can plug up a game, sat reciever and other stuff. The video cables in the back of the Gensis GT-3.0 have male connects on them, so I have order a cable with male and female connects and hope that works. Read the manual about 3 times, still no luck, but thanks again and happy camping. I did plug up a portable DVD player to the TV and it worked.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:03 PM   #8

Some tv's have assignable inputs. Check to see if on your tv the HDMI input is assigned to DVD? When you hooked up the portable DVD player to the TV did you go thru the same HDMI port as the Genesis was connected to? You mention 3 video out cables, are they all yellow indicating 'video' or are any of them red and white which would be audio? Is it possible for you to post some pics?
Old 03-20-2013, 02:40 PM   #9

On mine, I added the HDMI cable, but you still need the yellow cable for video hooked up plus the red or the white hooked up. I forgot which one I did not need I think it was the white? You have to still use the RCA cables to your TV from the unit. I have a Toshiba TV in my unit and tried it thinking that all I needed was the new HDMI. I had to rehook-up the RCA cables but just 2.......

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:13 PM   #10
rip

My 2013 WindJammer may be similar to yours. So I walked outide and turned on my GT 3 and Konka television.

Looking at the back of my Konka, I have the gray antenna coax plugged in, a combo AV plug out to the GT 3, I think to give surround-sound audio, and the HDMI from the GT 3 is plugged into HDMI 1.

My GT 3 comes on with AV1 for mode on its display and my Konka input is set to TV. The television comes onto a local channel and sound plays through the GT 3 speakers.

When I insert the DVD into the GT 3, the GT 3 display starts showing DVD track info, I can hear sound but no picture. On the Konka remote, I select input and toggle down from TV to HDMI 1 (where the GT 3's HDMI cable is plugged in). The DVD picture now displays. Maybe yours will be the same.

I notice my yellow video cable to the GT 3 is not plugged in. See second picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	b22.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	25989   Click image for larger version

Name:	b23.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	25990  
+ 2002 Ford F-250 7.3L 4X4
rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:01 PM   #11

Thanks for the information, still waiting on the video cable to come in to try that, I am also getting a longer HDMI cable. On my toshiba tv there are 2 HDMI ports marked 1 and 2. I also tried very setting on the tv for video and both HDMI. I think it's not having the right video cable from the DVD player to the TV hooked up, that's my hopes. If that does not work I guess I will have to carry it back to the dealer and see if they can fix. Just started camping and I love it. This little problem won't stop this ole man from enjoying my camper. Wish I had started years ago HA. Thanks again for the help and information
Old 03-20-2013, 10:19 PM   #12
rip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrybob View Post
...On my toshiba tv there are 2 HDMI ports marked 1 and 2. I also tried very setting on the tv for video and both HDMI. I think it's not having the right video cable from the DVD player to the TV hooked up, that's my hopes...
Ah, so you have the Toshiba and not the Konka. Maybe Bob Fields will drift by this thread and talk more about the GT 3.

The GT 3 info is great, but I feel the info about what is hooked up to what in different ways among our trailers' tvs and multi-input-output wall plates and speakers could be more user friendly.

On my particular setup pictured in my previous message, here is what I think is happening...

The gray coax may be from the Winegard antenna wall plate. It carries the tv signal input from the Winegard amped antenna to the television. It's plugged into the televion's antenna input. The television input menu must be set to tv to receive/display that signal. (It may also carry cable signal, if I set my Wingard wall plate to that, but that and satelite are different ball games)

The combo av plug is connected to an av output (not input) on the television. It splits into the red, white, yellow plugs that go to the GT 3. The red and white plugs are audio, yellow video not connected. I think this is carrying left/right audio from the television to the GT 3 on its AV1 input, so that antenna signal sound or other sound signals from the tv can be played through the ceiling or outside speakers hooked up to the GT 3. The yellow video out to the GT 3 would be irrelevant. So, this is signal output from the television and input to the GT3 at AV 1 (which is why my GT 3 must be mode set to AV 1 as opposed to AV 2 to play those sounds).

The HDMI is connected between the GT 3 and the television. On mine, I believe this is designed to carry audio and video signals from the GT 3 HDMI output to a television HDMI input (in my case the HDMI 1 plug, not HDMI 2 or 3). When I play a dvd in my GT 3, my HDMI cable is carrying audio and video signals as output from the built-in dvd player to input at the television. So, I must reset my television input from TV (signals coming in over the input coax) to HDMI 1 (where my HDMI cable is plugged in).

Sorry about this being so long. I'm partly guessing about this stuff, and trying to reason out why what is connected to what and why on my own system. Right now, mine is working.
+ 2002 Ford F-250 7.3L 4X4
rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:52 AM   #13
Owner - RVtronics

Send a message via AIM to Bob Fields Send a message via Skype™ to Bob Fields
hey all,

The GT3 SHOULD be hooked up to the TV as follows:

- The HDMI cable carries video only from the DVD player to the TV. The "newer" Toshiba's will switch automatically when the DVD is started. This is called CEC (Consumer Electronics Control). We provide the signal and if the TV is capable will switch automatically. You may need to enable the CEC (or Regza) as it is is call on the Toshiba).

- The TV Broadcast Surround Sound is channeled back ti the GT3 via RCA cables or optical audio cables depending upon when your unit was built and what brand of RV you have. Rockwood/Flagstaff is using opitcal audio going forward.

The wall plate video output as noted does indeed go directly to the TV with the rca audio going to the GT3 for sound.

Let me know if I missed something...
(781) 281-9440
Bob Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:10 AM   #14

Thanks, The HDMI cable is hooked up to the #1 port on the TV. There are 2 audio(red&white) going to the GT3. I have tried putting my tv on both the HDMI settings and still no picture, but I do have sound. I have also try moving the HDMI cable to the #2 port on the tv, but still no luck with the picture. I also try the Regza enable. So at this point I don not know what the problem might be,
Old 03-21-2013, 11:15 AM   #15

Well you've got it narrowed down to a bad hdmi cable or dvd player. To check both try hooking up a different dvd player with your cable. If it works then you have found the culprit.
Me and my wife with 3 kids love camping!!
dmf564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:44 AM   #16

Thanks, I have a different HDMI cable to try and a DVD player. I also spoke with Bob and will let everyone know how things work out.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:23 PM   #17

OK I tried a new HDMI cable, no picture, tried a different TV, no picture. So I guess the GT3 unit is bad. Thanks
Old 04-02-2013, 04:02 PM   #18
Owner - RVtronics

Send a message via AIM to Bob Fields Send a message via Skype™ to Bob Fields
Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
My TV switched inputs automatically when I put the DVD in. But, yours might not do that. ...
Yours switches because yours s hooked up with an HDMI cable and the GT3 sends a signal to the TV to switch automatically.

The yellow composite video cable cannot do this.
(781) 281-9440
Bob Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:02 PM   #19

Update: I recieved a new GT-3 from my RV dealer today. Installed new GT-3 and it works Great. My dealer was very helpful in this matter. I appreciate all the help for the folks here on the forum and to Bob Fields. Thanks again.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:37 PM   #20

Glad to hear you got it replaced and everything is working !