Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2013, 03:57 PM   #1

On my Sanibel 3500 I have two jacks outside, one for cable the other for Satellite. From what I can figure out, the living room is the only place the satellite cable is wired to. Is that correct? What needs to be done to get Satellite to the other two tvs?
BBBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 04:55 PM   #2

Yes, only to the LR. Let's start with a couple of questions cause this can be a complex topic.

Do you already have Sat service at home, and if so, what provider?

Would you be happy with having the same show on all TVs, or do they need to have different channels?
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 05:25 PM   #3

Direct TV at home. Since there is only two of us, it would not be a problem to have it outputted to all tvs, hence same show.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:49 PM   #4

As you might guess, there are cables from the living room TV area to the other two TV outlets. It's just a matter of making multiple uses of them.

Here is a diagram of the TV wiring in your Sanibel:
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3439824284.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	41246

The splitter shown on the right is behind the antenna booster control plate (and easily accessed just by crawling behind your fireplace). What I'm suggesting with the red line and X is to relocate that wire to the modulator output of your Sat receiver (assuming it has one). You can use an AB Switch to make that easy to reconfigure.

Assuming your equipment is SWM technology you could even use this method to put a second receiver in the bedroom so you can have multiple channels. Likewise for the outside TV.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:55 PM   #5

The best situation is to borrow a receiver(s) from home to take to your RV (therefore at no additional cost). The question then becomes do you like/want HDTV, or are you OK with Standard Definition. HD is easy with Dish, but more difficult with DirecTV.

Do you have SD-capable receivers at home? Do you have only Genie/Clients at home? These things will determine what sort of dish you need to buy for use outside your RV.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:16 PM   #6

I have a Tailgater and needed to get it's one and only channel on both the living room TV and the bedroom TV. I bought a HDMI splitter. I ran a HDMI cable from to the bedroom. It was easier than messing with the coax cables.

2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax Crewcab
Jeep Commander - sold
Flagstaff V-Lite WRB26
kz08h5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:39 PM   #7

I have three rooms with Directv HD receivers. I have been looking for a portable Sat system that will provide Directv HD, but have found that there is one that is a Dish on tripod and difficult to dial in. The other was one that goes on the roof made by Winegard. The directv HD receivers will also be compatible with SD, but I rather have HD. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:56 AM   #8

It sounds like you've got it figured out then.

I would never recommend spending $1400+ for that Winegard automatic (nor would I want it mounted on the roof where I'd have to never park under trees...but I don't think you'd have to mount it).

The dish on a tripod is what you need, and yes, it's harder to align than the SD dishes, but we have several people on here that do it.

If you want an automatic solution, I'd suggest dropping DirecTV at home and switching to Dish.
Of course you could just set up a Dish "pay-as-you-go" account just for your RV, but that will set you back at least $50 for every 30 days of use vs. the free "take the receiver from home" method.

While we're talking about "antennas": You need to install the Winegard "Wingman" onto your OTA TV antenna (trivial to do) or the Jack replacement head. These will give you much better OTA reception for UHF stations.