Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2014, 08:14 AM   #21
Phat Phrogs Incognito...

Sorry to hear about the OP's troubles in getting his DirecTV dish aimed. For us, it a REALLY easy and takes about 10 - 15 minutes.
  1. Set base on ground and level it. (has a bubble in the top of the pole)
  2. Set dish on pole and hook up cable
  3. Turn on DVR and got to dish setup, enter Zip Code of where we are (it will tell you exactly were to aim the dish)
  4. Adjust Twist and Elevation on dish (it has accurate markings) and use my compass to adjust Azimuth
  5. Go to DVR signal strength screen
  6. Adjust Azimuth in 1/4 turn increments for strongest signal
  7. If out of local channel spot beam area, call DirecTV and change "service location" (NOT billing address)

Now we have all our recordings from home, HD channels, active recordings (in case we're out and about) and locals (ABC, CBS, Fox and NBC) and... can watch what ever we want in either the bedroom or living room.

No extra monthly charges. Easy, peasy.

Tina + Dutch and Bell, Bobo, Harley, Buddy (the dogs)
2011 F350 Lariat 4x4 DRW SuperCrew 6.7L (B&W setup w/Air Lift 5000 Ultimate)
2014 Columbus 365RL (Airflex and Voyager package)
Nights Camped 2014 - 154, 2015 - 32, 2016 - 4
DutchF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:43 PM   #22

I've got the winegard mp1 carryout dish with the stand, and utilize directv. This is a manual dish - nothing automatic but after going through the learning curve, it's a snap to get the television working.

I use the DP AR Pro iphone app along with the Triplett SatAlign 2 meter. With both and a decent direct shot at the satellite, I'm tuned in at around 5-10 minutes.

While the picture is not in full hd, we get by for the occasional NASCAR race or college football game while camping. All I have to remember is to grab my spare directv receiver and remote - then we are off to the races.

Camped for 12 nights in 2015 - too many cancellations
Camped for 25 nights in 2014!
Camped for 24 nights in 2013!
RedStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:15 AM   #23

I have to say I'm too much of an HD snob anymore to go the SD route in the bus, we could get by on SD I'm sure but since every TV in the thing is HD then why not?

On top of that, the only receiver I have to carry with me is the Direct TV H25 unit and that is pretty much HD only. I have a friend who was throwing out a Slimline dish so I just ordered the SWM LNB to attach to it and the power inserter and a tripod and I'm gonna try it myself.

Obviously I haven't actually gotten to set it all up and try it yet, my biggest hurdle so far is.... where do I stow this whole dish setup? This Slimline dishes aren't small by any means.
howzball is offline   Reply With Quote