Sorry to hear about the OP's troubles in getting his DirecTV dish aimed. For us, it a REALLY easy and takes about 10 - 15 minutes.
- Set base on ground and level it. (has a bubble in the top of the pole)
- Set dish on pole and hook up cable
- Turn on DVR and got to dish setup, enter Zip Code of where we are (it will tell you exactly were to aim the dish)
- Adjust Twist and Elevation on dish (it has accurate markings) and use my compass to adjust Azimuth
- Go to DVR signal strength screen
- Adjust Azimuth in 1/4 turn increments for strongest signal
- If out of local channel spot beam area, call DirecTV and change "service location" (NOT billing address)
Now we have all our recordings from home, HD channels, active recordings (in case we're out and about) and locals (ABC, CBS, Fox and NBC) and... can watch what ever we want in either the bedroom or living room.
No extra monthly charges. Easy, peasy.
Tina + Dutch and Bell, Bobo, Harley, Buddy (the dogs)
2011 F350 Lariat 4x4 DRW SuperCrew 6.7L (B&W setup w/Air Lift 5000 Ultimate)
2014 Columbus 365RL (Airflex and Voyager package)
Nights Camped 2014 - 154
, 2015 - 32, 2016 - 4