Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2014, 04:46 PM   #1

Giving up on HD Direct TV, going to a Tailgater

Months ago, I asked and got a TON of info on how to extend my home TV system (Direct TV) to the camper. It took a long time for my pea brain to figure it all out, but I did it. I got a portable dish from Satellite Oasis and carried my Direct TV Receiver with me. I set up the dish and .........

And that's where problems began. I downloaded Dish Pointer Pro, which gives me a decent idea of where the satellites are, and what's in the way. But I still have to point the dish manually, and make all the adjustments with a 1/2 " wrench on nuts....all mechanical and 'shifty'.

Went camping last week (spent one night in the Visitor's Center at Lake Dardanelle, AR, due to the storms passing over), and after hours of tweaking I got the dish set up right. Storms came, next morning the dish was pointing 180 away. So I start over, and never could get but about 80% of the channels to come in. Every tweak from there resulted in gaining one thing and losing two.

SO............I'm about to take the plunge and give up......I can't rely on my skills to set this dish up for hours upon hours every time I go camping.... So I'm about to call Dish, order the Tailgater and the Pay-As-You-Go by the month plan........which will give me Direct in the house, and Dish in the Camper. But at least the Dish physical dish (tailgater) is automatic!!

Comments welcome, but you better hurry! I'm about to make the call. This one has driven me nuts!

P.S.
One Slimline Direct TV portable dish for sale, with SwM module!!
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 04:50 PM   #2
NELA

We have Direct here at home, with an automatic winegard and receiver for the RV.

That works fine for us, *unless* we're in a space with too many trees.

We were "gifted" with a manual dish on a stand by awesome campers who stayed near us in one RV park (thank you again!) along with a meter.

DH tried for the longest time to get the manual dish to work (strong screaming signal on the meter) with no luck, so he dragged the winegard out and voila! He was watching golf within 5 minutes. I've been trying to contact the "gifter" to figure out what step he's obviously missing in setting up the manual dish. No luck so far.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 04:52 PM   #3

the tail gator is great less than 5 minutes to set up ,then a phone call to dish to get the locals, we have had 1 for about 2 years use it even when campground has cable. usually set it on my roof so it does not become a trip hazard and i lock it down just in case some one has larceny on their mind they will find something easier to pilfer
brianj
take us
tncruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 04:55 PM   #4
Berkshire 390QS

Have the same, direct at home, dish on the road (pay-as-you-go plan) we are gone on the road 3 to 4 months at a time and suspend the direct service at home when gone. We have a satelite dish on the roof, but also have a tailgater for the times the HM is under trees etc. We purchased the receiver so not contracts or monthy fee for the reciever.
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 04:57 PM   #5

OK. (I MUST have HD and Fox Sports MW, my only requirements!!!)

I'm sold.

Thanks, guys.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:09 PM   #6
Toy-aholic

let me get this right....you go rv'ing to sit & watch tv?

not me
Old 04-30-2014, 05:11 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I have a tailgater and Dish at home. Switched out a receiver in our master bedroom for one that worked with the tailgater. I take it with me when I go and get the same programming I get at the house. No phone calls unless I want locals wherever I am. It can be tricky and only pick up some satellites when under tree cover. But, when we are tailgating at the Carolina games, it is absolutely awesome!!!!!
2016-(32) 2017-(13) 2018-(20) 2019-0
BombDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 05:13 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXGMTech View Post

not me
I don't go RV'ing to watch TV. But, if I want to, I do. I use the RV from a place to stay when visiting in laws, tailgating at football games, and camping. So when doing something other than camping, I want to watch the news, or whatever, whenever.
2016-(32) 2017-(13) 2018-(20) 2019-0
BombDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 05:13 PM   #9

NO sir. I go for a ton of reasons.

1) To get closer to the fish for a longer period.

2) To avoid my next door neighbor for a time (my mother).

3) To have a more enclosed space in which to chase Mama around.

4) To be closer to my kids and grandkids without having to live in their danged house!

But regardless of where I am physically, if I HAPPEN to be sitting around, I MUST be able to see the Cards play baseball. And even if I didn't care, Mama would require that.

So that's how it is. If I was a Cubs fan, I could see missing a few games!

Oh, and it would have been nice to get the Local Channels last week when the tornado went over our head. Couldn't have seen it that night, cause we were evacuated to the basement of the Visitor's Center. But it would have been nice to see the local coverage of Mayflower and Vilonia (10 miles away from my house) while camping. Besides, the wind was blowing 40 mph, so I couldn't fish anyway.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:14 PM   #10
Berkshire 390QS

gone for a weekend or two, don't require TV, gone for months at a time. why not, it's our cabin on the road, park in the woods, on the beach or anywhere between.
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 05:19 PM   #11

Quote:

not me
LOL!! We have only used our TV twice in 2 years to watch a DVD because it was raining!!
Lynkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 05:22 PM   #12
NELA

Quote:

not me

Ummm that would be a Cajun NEAUX. But since we can't always order up perfect weather, it's nice to be able to watch NASCAR or GOLF when it's raining outside.

Did your RV not come with at least one television?

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 05:23 PM   #13
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombDoc View Post
I don't go RV'ing to watch TV. But, if I want to, I do. I use the RV from a place to stay when visiting in laws, tailgating at football games, and camping. So when doing something other than camping, I want to watch the news, or whatever, whenever.
No justification required.
Everyone camps in their own way for their own reasons.

is the only criteria. You define what that is...
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:39 PM   #14
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
No justification required.
Everyone camps in their own way for their own reasons.

is the only criteria. You define what that is...

Yup- just look back to my thread, "Who else doesn't 'camp'?" Lots of us travel and use the camper as a portable home/apartment.

To Ex GM - be careful with the judgements, we all have our own way and not one of us is right for everyone.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:10 PM   #15

We have Dish at home and got a tailgater to use while we are in Florida for the winter. It is great. Sets up quickly and automatically. I paid a local dealer to install the tailgater and a receiver. Now, we can watch satellite or over the air (antenna), channels or, when available, cable. When we get home, we just call and deactivate the receiver.

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 01:38 PM   #16

I recently tried the Tailgater lost signal with rain clouds every time it clouded up signal strength was low 30s. Sent it back got the Winegard pathway x2 great signal strength over 50 works great in cloudy weather. Sorry but the tailgater is not worth it to me unless you camp in good weather IMHO.
rugersdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 03:37 PM   #17

OK, thanks.

Why the X2 and not X1??? Is X2 better??

Never mind, think I answered this one. X2 is bigger dish, more reception. I see.

Thanks.

Now my only question is where to buy. PPL in Houston is far cheapest place, plus a rebate!! But some questionable reviews of them. Dishformyrv is reliable, but more expensive. Called DISH, got India! Three times!!! UGH!
Old 05-04-2014, 06:57 PM   #18

Ugh. Now new problem! Regardless of where I buy the equipment, how do I set up and activate a new DISH Pay As You Go account?

I called DISH (got INDIA), and was told I had to call Dishformyrv. I've already talked to them, they just sell equipment and couldn't advise me on the programming. PLUS, they are more expensive on the physical dish and receiver than I can find elsewhere.

Catch 22?

I keep reading how easy this is for some of you guys. If you aren't a DISH customer at home (which I'm not), how do you get this stuff bought cheaply AND initiated and working????? Who do you call? It ain't Ghostbusters.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:44 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
Ugh. Now new problem! Regardless of where I buy the equipment, how do I set up and activate a new DISH Pay As You Go account?

I called DISH (got INDIA), and was told I had to call Dishformyrv. I've already talked to them, they just sell equipment and couldn't advise me on the programming. PLUS, they are more expensive on the physical dish and receiver than I can find elsewhere.

Catch 22?

I keep reading how easy this is for some of you guys. If you aren't a DISH customer at home (which I'm not), how do you get this stuff bought cheaply AND initiated and working????? Who do you call? It ain't Ghostbusters.

I would call the normal Dish Network number and ask for the "RV " department . I've heard of normal csr's not knowing what their talking about. (Surprise, surprise.)
Old 05-07-2014, 07:26 AM   #20

You had to go there about my Cubs. Don't you know that it is not easy supporting this mess for over a hundred years. (Not me, but I am part of the hundred)
Total Bliss is offline   Reply With Quote