Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2015, 03:42 PM   #1

Good news and bad news

The good news is the Dish Tailgater works fine when attached directly to the TV through an open window. The bad news is.....

(Mrs. WW takes over)

The tailgater works correctly when directly connected to the receiver and hdmi cable to the tv, but when we connect the tailgater to the outside connection on the rv and then connect the coax cable inside to the receiver, still using the hdmi cable from receiver to tv, we get no signal. I have checked the tightness of the connections and tightened the connections behind the panel in the rv. I have also tried the coax cable from the house in case the wall to tv cable is bad. No luck, any ideas???
Old 03-29-2015, 04:57 PM   #2

Do you have a separate sat input on the outside, or are you using the cable input? The Tailgater needs its power run from the receiver through the cable. Should have about 19 DC volts outside. You can check the voltage by putting a paper clip in the hole, a lead on the paper clip and the 2nd lead on the metal grooves. Or put the cable on and check the voltage at the other end of the cable. One lead on the center wire and the other on the inside grooves.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 06:41 PM   #3

There is only one input on the outside. We will need to purchase the leads/volt meter to test the power.
Old 03-29-2015, 07:06 PM   #4

Using the park cable hookup for the sat ant should work just fine. However; there has been some concern about splitters installed in the line (to route cable to other TV's) before it gets to where you are hooking the receiver up (may be issues with signal passage to and from ant/rec). Are you sure you are using the park coax and not the over the air ant coax? I use the park cable for my tailgater and it works perfectly. I have a FR378TS MH though. I guess ibrjet didn't read that your system worked fine otherwise.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 08:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wenatchee Willie View Post
There is only one input on the outside. We will need to purchase the leads/volt meter to test the power.
If you only have 1 input on the outside then your trailer isn't wired for satellite. That one input is for cable. Satellite needs a direct run with no splitters in the line and obviously there is something in that cable line that doesn't allow a satellite signal through.

2011 F150 SuperCrew 5.0 4x4
2012 Flagstaff 27BESS
pappcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 10:19 PM   #6

ok, thanks.
Guess we will have to have a connection put in sometime.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:40 PM   #7

Don't know your model RV but that cable connection on the outside should lead to a wall plate right near your TV so you can watch park cable TV.. Do you have a wall plate that has a small button and a light that comes on when you push the button right near your TV? If you do then that cable from the outside is connected on the back of that plate. Since running another cable to the outside may be very difficult you can probably modify something so you can use that cable that is connected on the back of that plate. Let's start with if you have that button and light on the wall plate.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 03:26 PM   #8

Yes, we have that button and wall plate. I have tried to connect with the light on and off with no success.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:01 PM   #9

OK. The next step would be to un-screw that plate. On the back you will find 2 cables attached to the plate electronics. Hopefully if it is marked like mine and others I have worked on, one cable will be connected to a connector marked 'Antenna' and the other will be connected to a place labeled 'Cable'. If you take off the one marked cable (it could be marked Aux too) you can hook it to your Sat Receiver and it will work. Obviously you need to hook in the outside parts and have the sat receiver hooked to the TV using the HDMI as you did in your earlier tests. Hopefully you should have enough extra cable to pull out of the wall to at least let you experiment.

Take a photo of the back if it doesn't look like I described or you need help. Good luck.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote