Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2019, 01:11 PM   #21

Mike, this replaces the factory supplied plate- amplifier correct? Like others, mine is behind the tv, but I can see it and/or use the tone to find the best signal. This is on my “to do” list. I know what you mean about boats. I used to tell everyone that i bought a “marine paper towel holder” and paid extra for it. Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 03:42 PM   #22
Erinn

Is the app you use titled "Winegard?" I installed that one, plus one called "Antenna Pointer" to surprise/help the hubby; hope they work.....
SunseekerFunseekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 07:14 AM   #23

Like to get local channels for news and weather as well. Older Dish receivers have a signal meter built in if you run the the rigs antenna through the OTA port on it, just have To ruń scan a time or two to get locals on the receiver. Once the scan is over, you can adjust the local antenna by watching signal on receiver output to tv. Will look at apps to get local channel line up to pickup network to watch.
Days camped in FR 2011-12 = 77, 13-14 = 98, 15-16 = 129
17 = 81, 18 = 44, 19 = 83, 20= 45, 21 = 76, 22 = 57, 23 = 42
Retired :
satdog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 08:34 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjw36t View Post
You can also link to the FCC and either put in your location (zip) or have it find you, or you can zoom in and locate on the map. It will then give a listing of the channels and strength in your area. If you then click on the station you are interested in, it will show the direction from your location to the station.
https://www.fcc.gov/media/engineering/dtvmaps

Great Link!!!

Thanks!!

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
BriaBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 09:44 AM   #25

DW and I stayed in a campground in Austin, Pa. No signals of any sort, no TV, no cell, nada. Carrier pigeon service only. After the first 24hours, it was GREAT. we just read walked about, checked out the country, started having movie night for a glorious week of zero ring, bong, turpple,vibrate. Than bam back on the grid.. Sad to leave.

Oh, just to stay on topic, I use the TV Tower app, crank the antenna to direction, scan and live with what I get.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 02:51 PM   #26

I look at the apps Antenna Point and No Cable.
Tv fool is a great website with all kinds of maps and charts with estimated signal strength. Sucks on my phone but great on my iPad IF I have wifi for internet.
Antenna Point tells you direction, distance, and channel.
No Cable is more of a TV Guide that lists what shows are on what channel and when.
My antenna is Omnidirectional.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 03:04 PM   #27

TitanMike - what antenna do you have? Depending on which it is, the antenna may not point toward the arrow on the inside of your RV. Many (batwings mostly) point off 90 degrees to either side. You'll need to see which way it is oriented, in relation to that arrow on the inside before you try to line up the arrow with the DTV antenna directions.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 04:27 PM   #28

Suggestion. Place a mark/sticker outside of the rotate handle to mark the antenna face pointing. Just make sure you can remove the mark in the event you get a different style antenna.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 09:03 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben31 View Post
TitanMike - what antenna do you have? Depending on which it is, the antenna may not point toward the arrow on the inside of your RV. Many (batwings mostly) point off 90 degrees to either side. You'll need to see which way it is oriented, in relation to that arrow on the inside before you try to line up the arrow with the DTV antenna directions.
I have the Winegard Rayzar Z-1 which looks like a Manta Ray. You point the "tail" toward the station and it's not bi-directional.

There's no "Arrow" inside but one lobe of the three-lobe knob is lined up with the "tail" in the antenna. When stored the tail points to the rear of the trailer.

As for using the apps to locate towers, that's fine if you have a data signal on your phone. Some areas don't have cell service but have great TV coverage. This was the case when I stayed near Raton, NM. the area is served by what appeared to be repeater/translators that were re-broadcasting from TV stations well over 100 miles away.

This is when I decided to look into the Sensar Pro. To make it easier to locate TV signals when I couldn't "scout out tower locations" with a phone app first.

Anyway, It's now installed and I've had the opportunity to explore some of it's features (like adjustable gain) and have no regrets.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 09:32 PM   #30

Sensar Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I have the Winegard Rayzar Z-1 which looks like a Manta Ray. You point the "tail" toward the station and it's not bi-directional.

There's no "Arrow" inside but one lobe of the three-lobe knob is lined up with the "tail" in the antenna. When stored the tail points to the rear of the trailer.

As for using the apps to locate towers, that's fine if you have a data signal on your phone. Some areas don't have cell service but have great TV coverage. This was the case when I stayed near Raton, NM. the area is served by what appeared to be repeater/translators that were re-broadcasting from TV stations well over 100 miles away.

This is when I decided to look into the Sensar Pro. To make it easier to locate TV signals when I couldn't "scout out tower locations" with a phone app first.

Anyway, It's now installed and I've had the opportunity to explore some of it's features (like adjustable gain) and have no regrets.

Hey Mike, I have the Winegard Rayzar Z-1 Antenna also. When you installed your Sensar Pro, did you do anything with the amplifier that already comes with the Rayzar antenna?

**edit** What I'm thinking of is the wall plate power supply that sends 12VDC to the Rayzar antenna... I found the instructions for the Sensar Pro, it looks like it replaces the wall plate power supply....

My wall plate power supply is in a horrible location... would definitely have to relocate the Sensar Pro if I put one in...

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
BriaBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 11:03 PM   #31
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:

Ironically, it was exactly one year ago today that I left Denver for good and started the rode trip portion of my six month full-time journey in my 5'ver, and the NRA campground just outside of Raton, NM was my first stop.

Stayed there for five days before I headed south for a month in Elephant Butte, NM.

Anywayz...that little $33 TV signal meter I bought at Camping World (that I mentioned previously in this post) pointed my King/Jack batwing replacement head directly towards all of the OTA TV stations in less than 10 seconds.

Most of the stations came out of Albuquerque...but I was also able to locate some Colorado Springs stations as well.

(Photo of 5'ver below taken just minutes after arriving at NRA one year ago today)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ProwlerNRA.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	831.1 KB
ID:	200233  
Attached Images

JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 08:33 AM   #32

Quote:
As for using the apps to locate towers, that's fine if you have a data signal on your phone. Some areas don't have cell service but have great TV coverage.
True. But you can always run those apps ahead of time and take notes or a screen shot of the results.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 06:35 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2504 View Post
Mike, this replaces the factory supplied plate- amplifier correct? Like others, mine is behind the tv, but I can see it and/or use the tone to find the best signal. This is on my “to do” list. I know what you mean about boats. I used to tell everyone that i bought a “marine paper towel holder” and paid extra for it. Jay

Yes, it replaces the OE device. In my trailer there is a blank piece of paneling above the Stereo/DVD player. I removed the OE Amp and cut in the new Sensar Pro above the stereo. That puts it right in front of me when adjusting the antenna. When all is adjusted the lights go out after a few minutes so it's not annoying anyone while watching TV. The location behind the TV stunk for me. I'm average in height and it was a stretch for me to reach it over the kitchen counter. Old hole just got covered with a blank plate like you would cover an unused receptacle box.

Old 03-30-2019, 06:41 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriaBeck View Post
Hey Mike, I have the Winegard Rayzar Z-1 Antenna also. When you installed your Sensar Pro, did you do anything with the amplifier that already comes with the Rayzar antenna?

**edit** What I'm thinking of is the wall plate power supply that sends 12VDC to the Rayzar antenna... I found the instructions for the Sensar Pro, it looks like it replaces the wall plate power supply....

My wall plate power supply is in a horrible location... would definitely have to relocate the Sensar Pro if I put one in...
The Sensar Pro replaces EVERYTHING. Cable/Antenna connections and power connections are all the same. Only thing different is what it does.

It does eliminate the coax connector on the front of the panel but on my setup it was unused anyway. Still have TV-1 and TV-2 connections, they're just on the back of the panel.

Old 03-30-2019, 06:42 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunseekerFunseekers View Post
Is the app you use titled "Winegard?" I installed that one, plus one called "Antenna Pointer" to surprise/help the hubby; hope they work.....
Yes, the Winegard Tower Finder.

Like I said, it works great as long as I have cell service.

Old 04-02-2019, 09:04 AM   #36

I will add another app to the thread. I use OTAMAP for IOS ... it also lists FM radio stations.
sask is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, tire