Old 01-21-2016, 08:51 PM   #31

I made the mistake of buying my 2012 F-150 with a built in gps. I now use my cell phone and google maps. The cost to update the built in gps is a waste of money!

2012 F150 FX4 Crew 5.0 3.73

2012Coachman Freedom Express 292BHDS (outdoor Kitchen)

Old 01-21-2016, 09:16 PM   #32
2012 Solera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky-N View Post
We traveled over 7600 miles this past summer and my biggest gripe with the Garmin was if we went off course for a side trip it would route back to the point where we went off no matter how many miles behind us
True. I usually just hit the stop navigating "X", recent destinations, choose the previous destination, and let it route from where I am. Easy to do and seems to result in a good route from there.

JLeising is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 01:23 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky-N View Post
We traveled over 7600 miles this past summer and my biggest gripe with the Garmin was if we went off course for a side trip it would route back to the point where we went off no matter how many miles behind us it was.

Two examples, in Wyoming it took us in a 50+ mile loop back to were we went off and in California going south down the 101 we took a little detour and got back on the 101 over 75 further south yet the Garmin kept trying to route us back north even though I destination was only about 30 mile ahead. Had to cancel and re-enter the trip destination to get it back on course. Got so frustrated with it I almost threw it out the window several times but AT&T cell service was even worse so the phone was useless most of the time. Not real happy with Garmin even less with AT&T service.
I have always wanted a "just do it button" on all electronic devices. Garmin is not intuitive, it requires one to tell it what to do. The answer is easy without any typing. From the home screen press "recently found" select your destination from the list, "set destination" appears. Select "yes" . Garmin then calculates from your current position. No typing involved !
My last garmin nuvi cost less than $100 with lifetime maps !