Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2016, 03:15 PM   #21

We are going to Alaska this year and it looks like a lot of places will not have cell phone service

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 03:30 PM   #22

Sattelite phone. We rented one for the trip. Just needed for any type of emergency, We had cell service in some locations but not many. With 92 year old parents , you never know when you might get that call.
Kevin & Judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 05:04 PM   #23
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNtraveler View Post
Cell phone free services are great until you are out in the boonies or up in the mountains where there is no cell service. Than you have no directions and you realize you should have written them down. Been there even on car trips - not fun.
Other posters are saying you don't need cell service for the GPS app on your mobile phone to work. All I know is that with my 10 yr old Garmin I don't pay for any service to have it connect to satellites so it would make sense that cell phone GPS apps would work the same?

Now, whether or not the free cell phone app has the same functionality as a Garmin or other similar GPS units is another issue.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 05:49 PM   #24
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
Other posters are saying you don't need cell service for the GPS app on your mobile phone to work. All I know is that with my 10 yr old Garmin I don't pay for any service to have it connect to satellites so it would make sense that cell phone GPS apps would work the same?

Now, whether or not the free cell phone app has the same functionality as a Garmin or other similar GPS units is another issue.
Cell phones don't work the same as GPS units and don't acquire a signal from satellites as GPS units do. They get their position from the towers which uses data to update maps and such. The apps are free, but you pay for the usage. I use apps along with GPS navigation for the best of both worlds, mapping and real time traffic. I'm currently looking at the 760LMT mainly for the size, but the RV features are a bonus. The dash on my new Georgetown is HUGE! I need something besides my Hula Girl to fill it up.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 02:34 PM   #25

X2 Yep, cell phones don't work off GPS. They work off cell towers. No signal, no map tracking. Also you pay data usage so use them when you can but only when you need. You don't want to run them for hours like GPS which is essentially "free" while running. With your smart phone app, get a route, write down your exit number etc., turn it back on when you need it when you get there. You don't need it running down the Interstate, that's for sure. But Google Maps is overall one superb app!

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R
Old 01-21-2016, 04:39 PM   #26
Canadian Member

According to this article, there are phone apps available that work "offline" meaning they store maps in your phone's memory (card) and will allow navigation without a data plan or connection to a cell phone network.

We Tested 4 GPS Apps That Work Even When You're Offline | WIRED

If that's the case, there must be some kind of built-in GPS satellite communications technology to allow the offline app to know where you are.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 04:58 PM   #27

We traveled this summer for a 10,000 mile 24 state, cross country trip with a garmin ! No issues.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	343.6 KB
ID:	98123  
Butch Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 07:27 PM   #28

GPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
According to this article, there are phone apps available that work "offline" meaning they store maps in your phone's memory (card) and will allow navigation without a data plan or connection to a cell phone network.

We Tested 4 GPS Apps That Work Even When You're Offline | WIRED

If that's the case, there must be some kind of built-in GPS satellite communications technology to allow the offline app to know where you are.

OK - you made me dig which made me learn! Thanks for that. So I'm withdrawing my prior comment, which I learned was based on older iPhone versions, and add this to the discussion:

https://www.macworld.com/article/159...ion_works.html

In a nutshell, the newer iPhones do have GPS but they rely on the cell phone data signal (while in the road) to keep downloading needed maps. The apps referred to in the quoted post download the needed maps to your phone (memory permitting I assume) while you still have a data signal, allowing you to keep on truckin' without cell service.

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R
Old 01-21-2016, 07:34 PM   #29

We traveled over 7600 miles this past summer and my biggest gripe with the Garmin was if we went off course for a side trip it would route back to the point where we went off no matter how many miles behind us it was.

Two examples, in Wyoming it took us in a 50+ mile loop back to were we went off and in California going south down the 101 we took a little detour and got back on the 101 over 75 further south yet the Garmin kept trying to route us back north even though I destination was only about 30 mile ahead. Had to cancel and re-enter the trip destination to get it back on course. Got so frustrated with it I almost threw it out the window several times but AT&T cell service was even worse so the phone was useless most of the time. Not real happy with Garmin even less with AT&T service.
Old 01-21-2016, 08:33 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle-751 View Post
I agree, it's a personal choice. I started out with a Garmin hand held( now handlebar mounted to quad with TOPO map ), moved to a dash mount ( got rid of it ) and now all I use is my cell phone with google map... What I did not and do not like about Garmin is having to buy the update software. Cell phone is all free and live information on the screen...
Buy the LTM.. Life Time Maps. One time cost.
Phone is not free, your pay for air time (internet service).
Maverick50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 08:51 PM   #31

I made the mistake of buying my 2012 F-150 with a built in gps. I now use my cell phone and google maps. The cost to update the built in gps is a waste of money!

2012 F150 FX4 Crew 5.0 3.73

2012Coachman Freedom Express 292BHDS (outdoor Kitchen)
Scubanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 09:16 PM   #32
2012 Solera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky-N View Post
We traveled over 7600 miles this past summer and my biggest gripe with the Garmin was if we went off course for a side trip it would route back to the point where we went off no matter how many miles behind us
True. I usually just hit the stop navigating "X", recent destinations, choose the previous destination, and let it route from where I am. Easy to do and seems to result in a good route from there.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 01:23 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky-N View Post
We traveled over 7600 miles this past summer and my biggest gripe with the Garmin was if we went off course for a side trip it would route back to the point where we went off no matter how many miles behind us it was.

Two examples, in Wyoming it took us in a 50+ mile loop back to were we went off and in California going south down the 101 we took a little detour and got back on the 101 over 75 further south yet the Garmin kept trying to route us back north even though I destination was only about 30 mile ahead. Had to cancel and re-enter the trip destination to get it back on course. Got so frustrated with it I almost threw it out the window several times but AT&T cell service was even worse so the phone was useless most of the time. Not real happy with Garmin even less with AT&T service.
I have always wanted a "just do it button" on all electronic devices. Garmin is not intuitive, it requires one to tell it what to do. The answer is easy without any typing. From the home screen press "recently found" select your destination from the list, "set destination" appears. Select "yes" . Garmin then calculates from your current position. No typing involved !
My last garmin nuvi cost less than $100 with lifetime maps !
Butch Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote