Old 06-08-2011, 10:29 AM   #1

Hamilton Beach Microwave danger

Our 2011 Mini Lite has a Hamilton Beach microwave. On one occasion when my wife wanted to open the door after cooking was done, the door would not open. After a few tries it opened. With the door wide open, the microwave started up again. She almost reached in. We closed the door, the microwave stopped. We repeated this many times. I finally tripped the circuit breaker to get the food out. This is unacceptable. The mechanical interlock must stop the oven when the door is open.
I emailed Hamilton Beach. They told me that they did not make this microwave. I found out that Galanz is building them now. So I get the run around...

Old 06-08-2011, 11:10 AM   #2

not a good thing... looks like hamilton beach would take a greater interest sense it is their name on the outside.
there should be at least two interlocks: one when the latch is unlocked and the other when the door moves no more than 1/4 inch.
regardless of my next statement there is a problem. i'm wondering if just the fan was running or if the microwave cooking element (magnetron) was active. i had a sharp that the fan and light would come on at random times. the magnetron was not being activated but sense it wasn't supposed to come on randomly, i was concerned that one time it would activate.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:34 AM   #3
Site Team - Lou

How to test a microwave for leakage

DO NOT TURN ON the microwave at any time!
Put your cell phone inside the microwave and close the door.
CALL your cell phone.
If it RINGS your microwave is leaking and needs to be repaired or replaced.

If not. it is tight.

Obviously if it starts up by itself with the door open there is a switchology issue and the thing is dangerous. They are not all that expensive in the tiny sizes used in RVs if your can't get a free repair. (or too much hassle to get it done under warranty).

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:14 AM   #4

The dealer offered to have it repaired. I used to work in the microprocessor field. I know what the Problem is: The computer went out to lunch. After I powered it down and up again, it reset and worked ok. The real problem is that the door interlock is not over riding this kind of failure. I am worried that when I take it in for repair, they wont find any problem and I will be out of a unit for a long time.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
DO NOT TURN ON the microwave at any time!
Put your cell phone inside the microwave and close the door.
CALL your cell phone.
If it RINGS your microwave is leaking and needs to be repaired or replaced.

If not. it is tight.
This is more urban legend then science. Microwaves operate in a much higher spectrum then cell. phones. Microwaves 2.5Ghz, cell phones 800-2.1Ghz.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:11 AM   #6

Try it...I put my cellphone in my microwave oven and it could not get a signal enough to receive a call. Opened the door and it worked. Since the microwaves from the phone tower could not get to the phone I assume the seals are good.

Now, the next test (urban legend) is to see if your CMO will light up a flourescent bulb. That is supposed to mean it's a leaker but I'm not going there

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bend302 View Post
Try it...I put my cellphone in my microwave oven and it could not get a signal enough to receive a call. Opened the door and it worked. Since the microwaves from the phone tower could not get to the phone I assume the seals are good.

Now, the next test (urban legend) is to see if your CMO will light up a flourescent bulb. That is supposed to mean it's a leaker but I'm not going there

Bill
CMO??? C.....Microwave Oven?? does C = camper? just wondering.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:46 AM   #8

Sorry, too many years in the appliance biz...CMO=Countertop Microwave Oven

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 01:08 PM   #9
Site Team - Lou

Yup. Urban Legend:
Answers.com - How do you check for a radiation leak in a microwave

Sorry, should have checked it out.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 01:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bend302 View Post

Bill
my heathkit microwave had neon lights to indicate cook, door open, etc. when it leaked, those lights would randomly flash.

the door is abt the only place u can get a leak. it isn't going to come thru the glass area because of the metal perforated shield in there. the glass is there to keep u from pushing metal thru the screen and creating an antenna to the outside world.
the area around the door is protected by a capacitive shield (the Teflon coated metal area around the (parimeter of the) glass area that fits next to the oven cavity). the next shield is a square channel on the flange area of the door that fits next to the flange of the door cavity. this inverts the microwave energy and cancels it. the heathkit also had a conductive vinyl shield that resembled a gasket that fit around the door and next to the cavity. the only thing i've seen the vinyl on is the convection/microwave (lately).
for the protection to work, it is to remain undamaged and clean. it isn't likely ur going to bend the door but if u do, u have a possibility of a leak.
your microwave light and fan coming on when it shouldn't most likely is going to be a problem with the control panel. you have to have at least 3 things go wrong for the magnetron to activate: 2 independent switches must fail and the timer must tell it to come on. or one thing common to all; the logic circuit that reads these failures has to fail.
i doubt that it is repaired by resetting. it will only get worse. had that with a sharp (the light and fan came on but not the magnetron). started out every once in a while and progressed to staying on.
if the person making the repair is told abt the problem, they should take it seriously even if they can't find a problem.