Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2018, 08:08 PM   #1

Hard Start Capacitor?

I am wondering if anyone has had any luck using the hard start capacitor offered on Amazon? I have a Honda 2200 Inverter generator and have been told that this simple install will allow me to run my A/C off my generator.

Link to the item :

SUPCO SPP6 Relay/Capacitor Hard Start Kit with 500% Increase Starting Torque https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002YTLFE..._E8wpBbX4Z84W5
ScottGillingham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 08:18 PM   #2

yep, put on on mine 2 years ago because of low voltage in the park. Works great. last year I installed an auto trans.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 08:50 PM   #3

The hard start kit is really meant to be used when the compressor is about on its last leg. You are only causing more damage to your unit due to the lack of power from your generator. And causing damage to your generator.
Mark S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 08:59 PM   #4

I don’t think it’s doing damage- just providing the “surge” when it’s needed. Others will correct me if I am wrong.

Some members have gotten ac to work off a 2000 generator, others have turned off the converter to do it. For me, is it good to have an engine run at full throttle?

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 04:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottGillingham View Post
I am wondering if anyone has had any luck using the hard start capacitor offered on Amazon? I have a Honda 2200 Inverter generator and have been told that this simple install will allow me to run my A/C off my generator.
Not likely. In fact a hard start capacitor may increase the amount of surge amperage needed to start the compressor on a typical 13.5 or 15K A/C. Most small generators cannot handle that surge.

An soft start device, like the Micro-Air Easy Start may make it possible to start your A/C with a small gen.
2008 Toyota Sequoia 2WD
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote