Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2018, 03:15 PM   #41

>SailorSam205000

The 2200, will not run my Coleman Mach 15k. It'll start it in the eco mode, although it's a big hiccup. After about 10 minutes, the compressor kicked out. The Genny ran at its top rpm, for the entire 10 minutes
I reconnected both Gennys in Parallel, and waited 5 minutes. I started both Gennys, and then the AC. The AC ran w/o issue, while I tinkered in the TT.

Temp on top of the trailer, was probably approaching 100, even though it was not in the sun.

I had a 2000 already, so I only needed another 2000 or 2200 companion, and the Parallel kit.
If you watch your local Craigslist and the Classifieds here, you may find a complete set up for $1800 or so. Sometimes when people get out of the bidness of camping, or upgrade to a self contained RV complete with a generator, they sell the setup they had been using.
I saw one set locally for $1700(2-2k's, parallel kit, and an extended run tank)that was up for about a day or so on CL before it was gone, so you have to be ready to get em when you see em. The tank setup and Parallel kit can run close to $200. God always makes sure I pay full price, whether I'm bargain shopping, or paying the consequences. Lol

A little detail I missed, is the Honda Companions(which come with the 30amp outlet) use a 30amp Marine style twist lock outlet. My TT pig tail, has a regular 3 leg 30amp male end. I had to run to the store and pickup an adapter.
You can order the Parallel kit with the adapter.
katkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 03:50 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post
i have to ask a question about hard start capacitors. they seem to cost $10 at retail. probably could buy them in bulk for much less, say $5. if they are so effective in starting the a/c and requiring less start up power, why don't the a/c manufacturers simply include them in the units they sell? seems like a minimal incremental cost for the benefits they claim to provide.
Don’t confuse hard start with soft start kit. The hard start capacitor just gives the compressor and fan motors a kick to get em spinning on initial start up. A soft start kit, as its name implies, slowly ramps up the start current to the compressor. It is more than just a capacitor thus more $.

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 05:32 AM   #43
Site Team - Lou

Will have a hard start capacitor and a fan delay relay at the FROG rally flea market.

They are no where near as effective as the Micro-Air soft start.

Will buy a second one for the new bedroom ac.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 05:34 AM   #44
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
Katkt,
I would appreciate your running a test with just the new 2200i. I'm on the fence about how to proceed. I don't see myself needing to run a gen for many hours into the night. Just long enough after a days travel to cool down the my trailer - we tend to do most of our travel in the off season and nights are more than cool enough.
So I might get a single 2200i or a pair of lower cost 2000's.
TIA
Al
Get the Honda Companion version. You will never regret the decision.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 07:20 AM   #45

I recently made an assumption.............

I hooked my 13.5K BTU Dometic A/C (1670 watts according to the factory website) to my home's outdoor outlet, which is on a 20 amp breaker protected GFCI circuit. Circuits other than the A/C in the RV switched off. Used on older 50 foot, 12 gauge extension cord and the 25 foot 10 gauge RV cord. 121 Volts with A/C off, 106 volts with A/C running. I checked the voltage at the RV breaker panel to see if the problem was there, but got about the same readings. I ASSUMED that the old 12 gauge extension cord was the problem and trotted off to Lowes to buy a nice new one for 60 bucks.

Installed the new cord, same results. Now I did what I should have done in the first place. Check the voltage at the GFCI outlet. Gee Whiz: 108 volts under load.

That circuit starts with the GFCI in the bathroom, then continues to 4 other outside outlets around the perimeter of the house. Hopefully it's just corrosion at the outlet terminals, 'cause that's a wire pull that I really don't want to have to do.

Who said that retirement would be boring?

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote