Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2018, 10:29 PM   #1

Hard Start Kits for AC

I've been doing some research on hard start kits for AC. We have a 15000 BTU unit on our travel trailer and occasionally want to be able to run it on a 20 amp circuit or with a generator. Anyone else had experience with these? Supco SPP6 seems to be the most common but there are a lot of them on the market. Do they provide the same boost with lower amp service as they do when on generator? They're quite inexpensive, but wonder if they actually do any good. Appreciate any insight from the community.
6.0 Gasser 4:10

Smiletwice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 10:37 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiletwice View Post
I've been doing some research on hard start kits for AC. We have a 15000 BTU unit on our travel trailer and occasionally want to be able to run it on a 20 amp circuit or with a generator. Anyone else had experience with these? Supco SPP6 seems to be the most common but there are a lot of them on the market. Do they provide the same boost with lower amp service as they do when on generator? They're quite inexpensive, but wonder if they actually do any good. Appreciate any insight from the community.
I had an SPP6 on my unit for a long time and really didn’t notice any difference. Recently installed the MicroAir Easy Start and, wow, what an amazing improvement. Expensive, but I think it’s worth it.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:44 PM   #3

We have a 13.5k unit on our camper and I put a SPP6 capicator on it. Seems to take about 20-25% off the start up load off it. I could tell the difference when using the generator. The percentage is just my estimate because my equipment won’t measure that fast. At home i run all the time off a 20 amp circuit with no problem at all. I also run the converter and the refrigerator on electric at the same time. The only time I popped the House breaker is when the 5 horsepower air compressor at the same time! I also have a kill a watt meter and don’t have any low voltage problems when running off the 20 amp outlet at home. Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 10:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
I had an SPP6 on my unit for a long time and really didn’t notice any difference. Recently installed the MicroAir Easy Start and, wow, what an amazing improvement. Expensive, but I think it’s worth it.
Emm-dee, what do you mean by “no difference”? Were you able to start your ac from a 2kw generator? What big difference do you notice with the MicroAir? Thx..

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 10:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
Emm-dee, what do you mean by “no difference”? Were you able to start your ac from a 2kw generator? What big difference do you notice with the MicroAir? Thx..
This link goes over all the issues and numbers. Long but informative. I don't have an Easy Start, but have read may posts from folks who installed them. Most all have been very happy with the unit.

S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 10:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
This link goes over all the issues and numbers. Long but informative. I don't have an Easy Start, but have read may posts from folks who installed them. Most all have been very happy with the unit.

Thanks Al...

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 11:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Is that strictly for use with a generator or does it also help when running off a lower amp service? (We have 30 amp in trailer but occasionally want to run off 15-20 amp with an adapter). Also, is it a simple install? I believe these are several hundred dollars compared to about $10 for the SPP6 so trying to understand the level of difference. A number of other reviews suggest the SPP6 does a pretty good job....thanks.
6.0 Gasser 4:10

Smiletwice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 05:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
I just didn’t notice any change in the system operation after installing the SPP6. I initially thought the capacitor was defective so I bought a second one.....same thing. No way on running the AC on a single Honda 2000. I have the Progressive EMS and it would activate due to low voltage every time the compressor started. With two Honda units all was good, even without the SPP.

Installing the Easy Start did allow me to run the AC with a single Honda, even from ECO mode. However, when running the AC it required enough power to keep the generator out of ECO mode. I still keep the generators running in parallel because they run slower in that mode and produce less total noise.

Installing the Easy Start was simple and took less than 20 minutes, including drilling holes for mounting.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:12 PM   #9

I have a 15K A/C which prob originally pulled 45A surge on compressor startup. This was not an issue when running on my 30A shore power which could handle the brief surge, but the compressor will stop running when powered by most small generators since they can't handle the surge. Once it is running after the surge, my A/C pulls 12-14A.

The Supco hard start helps start a compressor when you have plenty of amps available (shore power). It does this by adding another capacitor to the system ...but may also increase the initial amp draw when starting the compressor. This should not be an issue when on shore power of 30A or more, but would be with a small generator.

The Easy Start helps start the compressor slowly, without the sudden initial surge. This makes the start up quieter for most A/Cs and usually allows a small generator (2000w) to start and run the A/C.
2008 Toyota Sequoia 2WD
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 01:04 PM   #10

I know there differences between makes and models of A/C units, but the ones I have worked with start the blower at the same time as the compressor, I install an adjustable time delay relay in the blower circuit and that helps. I set them on average 10 seconds.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 01:11 PM   #11

I also tried the cheap way by the capacitor, and could notice no change. I have a micro start in my project box to install.
I often thought about putting a time delay to start the compressor first, then the fan, just never got a "roundtuit".
Toyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 01:34 PM   #12

I tried a SPP6 for my 10K Btu "Cool Cat" A/C. It only dropped the starting surge from 38 amps to 35. The test was on shore power, so current was not limited by a small genny. To be fair, the stock A/C unit has a large capacitor from the factory. In a cheaper unit it might work better.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 09:09 AM   #13

My 15K unit would trip my 3500W Champion generator on start, even though Champion advertises it will run a 15KUnit. Added the Supco start capacitor, problem solved. I considered the more costly solutions, but thought, meh, I’ll give this cheaper one a shot and see what happens first. The reviews and recommendations of the Supco were better than average. Interestingly enough, my AC unit had an inclusion for an optional start capacitor in the wiring schematics.
Naviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 12:46 PM   #14

Went with the SPP6 and time delay for the fan. I put the meter on it and noticed the amps dropped on start up and with the fan delay there was less vibration and shudder felt. Worth it from that perspective alone. 15k ac unit. I had a hard time starting with one Yamaha 2000, sometimes would sometime not which led me to believe it at the limit
2003 Dodge Cummins w/Banks 3:73
CraigBean7672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 07:08 PM   #15
Retired Navy

I could not get my 4KW generator to run my Dometic A/C w/heat pump. The generator would bog down and shut off. I installed the Micro Air Easy Start 364 on my A/C, and running it on generator is no longer a problem. I found the installation straight forward, well explained on you tube videos [ ] and in the knowledge bank [ https://www.microair.net/collections...-soft-starters ].

I used the $40 discount for FRF members! Use discount code:
"FORESTRIVER" (case sensitive) when you order.
Old 07-21-2018, 07:21 PM   #16
Retired Navy

Wiring diagrams here:
https://www.microair.net/pages/rv-so...-resource-page
Old 07-21-2018, 08:00 PM   #17

Quote:
Is that strictly for use with a generator or does it also help when running off a lower amp service? (We have 30 amp in trailer but occasionally want to run off 15-20 amp with an adapter). Also, is it a simple install? I believe these are several hundred dollars compared to about $10 for the SPP6 so trying to understand the level of difference. A number of other reviews suggest the SPP6 does a pretty good job....thanks.
I don't know what your looking at but the

spp6 works very well. It's called a "Hard start kit." It's a capacitor. No different than the one they put on your home unit (Except for size). It has nothing to do with amperage. It produces a shot of electricity to increase the voltage to the compressor during startup. They work very well.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 08:03 PM   #18

What a timely thread. Ordered the Micro Air 364 kit.
The website in the Q/A, says my 15k should run with a bit of prudence, off a Honda 2000(not in eco mode).
This should be interesting. I have high hopes.
My shore power at home is just 20amps. I'll be interested to see how well it works on either the 20 amp SP, or the Honda.
I have been regretting getting the 15k, instead of the two smaller 13k's(s) when we bought the trailer.

''''''poster wanders off smiling and humming a little tune to himself'''''
katkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 09:15 PM   #19

Quote:
I don't know what your looking at but the

spp6 works very well. It's called a "Hard start kit." It's a capacitor. No different than the one they put on your home unit (Except for size). It has nothing to do with amperage. It produces a shot of electricity to increase the voltage to the compressor during startup. They work very well.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 04:43 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2504 View Post
We have a 13.5k unit on our camper and I put a SPP6 capicator on it. Seems to take about 20-25% off the start up load off it. I could tell the difference when using the generator. The percentage is just my estimate because my equipment won’t measure that fast. At home i run all the time off a 20 amp circuit with no problem at all. I also run the converter and the refrigerator on electric at the same time. The only time I popped the House breaker is when the 5 horsepower air compressor at the same time! I also have a kill a watt meter and don’t have any low voltage problems when running off the 20 amp outlet at home. Jay
I'm curious about the Kill-a-watt meter you're using. I too was running the rv off of a 20 amp breaker using the kill-a-watt to watch amps and voltage drop. The load was right at or barely over 15 amps and I eventually killed the kill-a-watt. Power would no longer pass through it. Have you found one that is rated higher than 15 amps?