Old 05-30-2015, 10:16 AM   #1

HD TV antennae

New Cherokee Freedom Express 310BHDS unit, bought in January. The dealer told me that the TV antennae is an "HD TV unit". This type antennae has two wing thingy's sticking out from the short mast. I cannot even raise or lower it for travel although it sticks above the roof by maybe 12 inches. I'm sitting here on our fifth trip out since buying this unit and I'm trying to find a channel that doesn't have what I call "digital flutter". I could not get a clear picture at the other four campsites of which two were about 100 miles from home. I can find NO way of moving this antennae in any direction. NO up/down nor a way of rotating the antennae. I called the selling dealer, which is 90 miles from home, and they told me there is no need to adjust it. They stated that this antennae will pick up even the weakest HD TV signal and straighten it out if it is weak. So--is there any way to aim/adjust this type antennae. I can post a photo after we get home on Tuesday if that will help. Thanks

Old 05-30-2015, 10:27 AM   #2

Is the booster turned on?

Old 05-30-2015, 10:39 AM   #3

"Toddupton": I believe it is. I'm not sure what/where the "booster" is so let's try this:The TV sits in it's own little cubby space, the there are two open storage spaces under this. In the right hand space there is a plate, much like the white plastic plate for a home light switch, mounted in there. There are two (2) male co-ax connectors on the plate. The top is labeled "Satellite" and the bottom is "TV1". The co-ax for the TV is connected to "TV1", the little button is pushed "IN" and the red light is on. When I push the button to move it to "OUT" the red light goes off and I lose TV reception totally. I'm only getting five (5) channels here and they all have this digital flutter. Thanks
Old 05-30-2015, 10:46 AM   #4

If the light is on then it should be working I could just be a poorly designed antenna. I have never been a big fan of an antenna that you could not raise up and adjust. I would check all the connections both on the back of the booster plate and on the roof to make sure they are clean and tight. Aside from that you might. Have to upgrade to a better type of antenna.
Old 05-31-2015, 07:43 AM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Omni directional antennas work great for close (15 miles to tower) strong signals; farther/weaker not so much.

Use a program like antennaweb.org (or an iphone app called "Towers") to locate the TV transmission towers, available channels, direction to point (for aimables), and TitanTV.com to find out what's on.

Be SURE to use the "search for channels" using the "AIR" setting every time you set up (with an omni) and every time you aim one that rotates.

For "BatWing" type antennas, aim the batwing at the TOWER (not the city) as if it was an airplane flying to it. The white amp box is the cockpit and the batwings are the wings. If you have a Sensar with "leading elements", the leading elements point towards the tower. (If someone who actually owns the King Jack Antenna would confirm what end is pointing to the tower with 4 lights I would appreciate it.)

For "Radio Shack" antennas, smaller elements point towards the tower; larger behind.

Digital signals "live" on both VHF and UHF with the lion share on UHF. UHF is EXTREMELY directional and few degrees off will cause the signal to be pixelated or not come in at all.

When it comes to reception, SIZE MATTERS. That is why the Winegard Sensar IV (with leading elements) and the old one with the "Wingman" attachment seems to work best (IMO) for distant stations. (As also reported here by members who tested them) because of the bigger "wings" for pulling distant VHF digital signals.

Here are some screen shots of Antennaweb.org:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Antennaweb Roadmap Wide angle.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	78587   Click image for larger version

Name:	Antennaweb Satellite Wide angle.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	78588   Click image for larger version

Name:	Antennaweb Satellite at Camper.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	78589   Click image for larger version

Name:	jackantenna.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	78590   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	78591  

Click image for larger version

Name:	h6593020-f_MT.jpeg
Views:	91
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	78593   Click image for larger version

Name:	wingmanGraph.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	78595  
Attached Images

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 08:12 AM   #6

As stated, it is just a crummy antenna unless you are right in town where the stations are at.
I have a bat wing type and just turning it 10 degrees will make a difference between getting 5 more stations at my house.
If TV is important to you (it is me), I would probably invest in one of the bat wing types that you can raise and lower and also turn.
markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 09:20 AM   #7

We just replaced the omni directional piece of junk with a Jack antenna. The Jack rotates and has a signal strength indicator to help you zero in on the towers. Works quite well but cost a few bucks. I had the dealer make the install since it involves drilling through the roof and ceiling.

Have fun camping!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 05-31-2015, 09:30 AM   #8
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
We just replaced the omni directional piece of junk with a Jack antenna. The Jack rotates and has a signal strength indicator to help you zero in on the towers. Works quite well but cost a few bucks. I had the dealer make the install since it involves drilling through the roof and ceiling.

Have fun camping!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
What direction does the arrow point with 4 lights? to the tower or away?

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 09:32 AM   #9
Site Team

The OEM antenna on the Freedom Express is Junk. It looks like a real antenna, but that is where is stops. It is designed to look like a directional antenna, but it is an omni directional ant. I plan on replacing mine with a Jack. Not high on my priority list as I don't watch much TV while camping.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 09:46 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
What direction does the arrow point with 4 lights? to the tower or away?
Probably doesn't really matter because the lights are signal strength indicators. However; the arrow pointed end is the VHF end and the flat aft end is the UHF end. I believe most HD broadcasts are in the UHF spectrum. Oh well.

Tags
antenna, antennae