Old 02-08-2017, 12:21 AM   #1

HDMI out to Television

Hi All, every camper we have owned has a crappy av rca connection to the television. We just ordered a new 2017 Shockwave with the upgraded Kenwood setup. Does anyone know if it will have HDMI out? I am so disappointed that HD televisions have been out for many years but RV audio/video systems are still relying on av cables.

bhoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 01:28 AM   #2
Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoth View Post
Hi All, every camper we have owned has a crappy av rca connection to the television. We just ordered a new 2017 Shockwave with the upgraded Kenwood setup. Does anyone know if it will have HDMI out? I am so disappointed that HD televisions have been out for many years but RV audio/video systems are still relying on av cables.
What model of Kenwood is it ? my Stealth came with a Kenwood DVD player in it and has HDMI out.

If you have the model number you can google it and see what the specs are.

Stealth FQ2916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 01:45 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth FQ2916 View Post
What model of Kenwood is it ? my Stealth came with a Kenwood DVD player in it and has HDMI out.

If you have the model number you can google it and see what the specs are.

I do not know what the model is only that it was a Kenwood upgrade. What is your Kenwood model and I will ask my dealer if it is the same. My rig just started on the assembly line yesterday so I am expecting 5 weeks or so before I will take delivery.
Old 02-08-2017, 12:16 PM   #4

I just found out what the model is that Forest River is using for the 2017 model year. It's a Kenwood DDX24BT. It does not list an HDMI output only 1 Rear Video Output (RCA).
Old 02-08-2017, 01:06 PM   #5
Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoth View Post
I just found out what the model is that Forest River is using for the 2017 model year. It's a Kenwood DDX24BT. It does not list an HDMI output only 1 Rear Video Output (RCA).
My mistake, it's HDMI in and not out.

Kenwood DNX893S
Stealth FQ2916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 01:50 PM   #6

Maybe I will put an old home blueray player in the camper and pipe the audio into the Kenwood stereo.
Does anyone else have any ideas on how to get high res to their TV?
Old 02-08-2017, 02:16 PM   #7

Wireless HDMI transmitter/receiver. We have the transmitter connected to the blu-ray player or satellite box via HDMI, and it transmits to the receiver we attached to the TV. There are multiple types - this is the one we have been using

https://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-MWT.../dp/B00LSS10PM

Garren
Edgar & Carlos (felines)
RIP Sophie, the sweetest cat ever.
ChrisAndGarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 03:52 PM   #8

You can get a small cigarette lighter plug based inverter and run a DVD/BluRay off of that for when you're not plugged into a park...then just hook up an HDMI or go to a wireless HDMI as Chris/Garren suggest.
2014 Vespa LX150 2014 StellaAuto 125
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 04:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
You can get a small cigarette lighter plug based inverter and run a DVD/BluRay off of that for when you're not plugged into a park...then just hook up an HDMI or go to a wireless HDMI as Chris/Garren suggest.
The new Shockwave T28RQDX I ordered is coming with a 1,500 watt built in inverter so I am covered there.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:17 PM   #10
AMG

I know you don't want to hear that your new unit will be anything but perfect.

With that said here's another solution.

Disconnect the composite red/white cables from the audio in on the TV. Buy a cheap sub $5 splitter with female rca (red/white) to male mini-steep. Plug that in to the Headphone port on the TV. Then pull the head unit out and where the red/white rca's are audio output, connect another 'Y' of female rca to ministered. Plug that in to the AUX input on the head unit front. Perhaps cleaner use a small L elbow.

Then whenever you watch anything on the TV the audio can be played on the main units speakers. At the tv maybe get a small portable Bluray player. Plug in hdmi and your video will be good and audio to the main speakers AND the tv. Only issue with this setup is IF you played a regular DVD in the head unit then audio wouldn't go to the TV. So what! The TV speakers r smaller.

I personally have a quad core android stick in my tv hdmi. I have a Dish HopperGo I put all my content on. I can then watch it all. If I am in LTE range I make a hot spot and then have my android stick run dish anywhere and we can tune in things on our DVr or whatever is on the TV using the built in Sling back at our house.

Tags
television