Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2016, 11:02 AM   #1

Heat pump

I did some searching on the forum but haven't found my answer. I have a 2016 3100ss. I used my heat pump plugged in to the house 120v last night with no issues. Today it only runs with the generator.

- Did I just get lucky last night? Should it be treated like the a/c and not used on less than 30 amp?

- I assume I did not blow a fuse or anything since it does work on the generator. When I plug into 30 amp shore power I should be fine. Correct?

Thanks. New to the heat pump.
Old 10-02-2016, 11:08 AM   #2
Site Team

Your heat pump is just your AC running in reverse. It has the same restrictions as the AC. Odds are you tripped a breaker in the house as you imply it was on a less than 30A circuit. That would make the house breaker the weak link. The problem comes when it starts after running for a while. Then there is a pressure head that the compressor has to start against. This loads the compressor motor and can trip a breaker. Continued used under these conditions can damage the compressor.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 11:12 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply.

No breaker appears tripped and is does still work on the genny. So I assume I am all good, lucky and lesson learned.
Old 10-02-2016, 11:25 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocsDad View Post
Thanks for the reply.

No breaker appears tripped and is does still work on the genny. So I assume I am all good, lucky and lesson learned.
Flybob is correct the heat pump is an AC with a reversing valve. You may want to check your shore connection to make sure you didn't fry anything. My reason is if there are no breakers tripped in the house and the unit runs on generator but not the shore cord check the connection and receptacles at both ends.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 11:52 AM   #5

Thanks.. all appears to be OK and I am more than a bit relieved.
Old 10-02-2016, 11:58 AM   #6

My first thought was that there were no breakers tripped. But, somewhat the same problem happened to me a few months ago when I was using a 20 amp outlet in my shop with an adapter for power to the camper. I like to leave my A/C set on 80 degrees to help with humidity in my area. One day I did not have power to the camper so I started back tracking. No tripped breaker, no obvious signs anywhere. i pulled the outlet from the box and the hot (black) wire had burnt in two at the connection. Now I have a dedicated 30 amp service for the TT.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 11:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
My first thought was that there were no breakers tripped. But, somewhat the same problem happened to me a few months ago when I was using a 20 amp outlet in my shop with an adapter for power to the camper. I like to leave my A/C set on 80 degrees to help with humidity in my area. One day I did not have power to the camper so I started back tracking. No tripped breaker, no obvious signs anywhere. i pulled the outlet from the box and the hot (black) wire had burnt in two at the connection. Now I have a dedicated 30 amp service for the TT.

Wow that could have been problematic! Was that 20 amp socket on a 20 amp circuit breaker protected line? Seems like the circuit breaker should blow before a line burns out. Unless the wire was below spec for 20A.

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R
Nights camped 2016: 29; RV to date: 32
Old 10-07-2016, 12:59 PM   #8

That was a dedicated 20 outlet on a dedicated single breaker. The breaker never tripped.

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 02:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
That was a dedicated 20 outlet on a dedicated single breaker. The breaker never tripped.

I didn't trip the breaker on my 13K btu unit but melted the cord male plug while using #10 extension. I ran a #8 line to a regular RV plug and no more hot connections even with a 20 amp breaker.
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 07:08 PM   #10

I installed a 30 amp RV outlet with it's own 30 amp breaker before we brought the RV home. It works great.

Newt
Newtm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump