Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2015, 05:53 PM   #1

Heated mattress no long works after 10 sleeps!

I bought a brand new Rockwood Freedom 2280BH tent trailer in the fall of 2013. It is not even 2 years old. It has the FMS4101 (111 Watts) heated RV bedding in both the queen and king mattress made by Flair Interiors Inc. The production date on the mattress is June 26 2013.

I used the heated mattresses for the first time in the spring of 2014. I was very impressed and my wife begged me to go camping more because of this feature! However, things went sour during our last camping trip of the year in October 2014, when the king heated mattress failed.

I tried fixing it this weekend. Both of the 2 power plug we have illuminated but no heat came out of the mattress after an hour or so. I swapped the plugs to the queen to confirm they were working which indeed they did. I hooked up a Kill-a-Watt power reader to confirm no power going to the king mattress. As a side note, I tested the queen mattress and noticed power varied from about 8 watts on setting 1 and about 90 watts on level 6.

I measured the resistance in both the queen and king beds. The working queen mattress had 215 ohms between the middle-right pins. All other combinations (i.e. left-middle, left right) had 0 ohms. The non-working king strangely had 650 ohms for the left-right pins and 0 ohms for the middle-right pins.

I cut open the mattress to get access to the white controller. It had a sticker on the top that read 5208. Inside, I noticed that the middle pin was attached to a black rubber sealed “thing” by a wire. A second wire was attached to the heated mattress "fiber wires" secured by electrical tape. Both wires were attached to the top of the black thing. The bottom of the black thing was melted probably from an electrical short or getting too hot. I cut open this rubber thing and it looked like a resistor sealed by a rubber heat-shrink seal rated to 125C. The resistor had the letters “PEPI A” on the elevated side and “17D-072f” on the bottom.

I wanted to send an email to Flair Interiors Inc but the website looks like it has been removed. Discovering on this forum that ThermoSoft probably made the electronics, I contacted them in hope for a new mattress or sealed resistor. Lastly I contacted my RV dealer, again, in hope that someone could help me with this failed mattress, not even 2 years old, and slept on about 10 times with the heating function used a total of 3 times!

Questions:
1) Has anyone else had problems with these mattresses?
2) Is Flair Interiors still in business? If so, does anyone have their contact info?
3) Does anyone know where can I get this PEPI A / 17D-072f sealed resistor complete with the one wire soldered to the middle pin and the second wire stripped and ready to be connected to the "fiber wires".

Any information would much be appreciated!

Blackhawks
Attached Images

Blackhawks is offline   Reply With Quote