Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2013, 09:38 PM   #1

Heater blows heat but low air

We are also new at this. We just bought a Salem 26RkS 2012 which has the Suburban furnace and it turns on and heats but does not seem to blow much air. I have to shut the thermostat off to get it to turn on again. I don't think I am getting enough air flow. I was going to check the air cage but could not see a way into it. We purchased this trailer at the mesquite dealer where we winter, but we are at our home in Idaho where it is still cool. Any ideas would be great.
Rockytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:21 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou

I would check all the duct work for holes or a disconnected duct that is dumping air into the bell or a compartment.

This may involve dropping a side of your underbelly covering and checking with a flashlight. If you find a damaged duct, you might find removing the belly covering (Coreplast most likely) the hardest part of the job.

Another possible cause might be a bug nest in the fan cage that is slowing down the fan, but not enough to keep the burner from lighting. Compressed air into the exhaust and intake inlets might knock it loose (otherwise your heater will need disassembly).

Herk
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:06 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockytop View Post
I have to shut the thermostat off to get it to turn on again.
That sounds to me like it's not staying lit. It will try to light 3 times and if the flame goes out after that, it locks out and won't come on again until you turn it off at the thermostat (or otherwise remove power). If you're outside next to the vent, you should be able to tell if it's burning or not.

Do you have a bug screen over that outside vent? The manufacturer says not to use them, and I have trouble keeping mine lit of I have one on.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:49 AM   #4

It is staying lit until it brings the temp up. Then it shuts off. Then it will not lite again until I shut the thermostat off. It takes a long time to heat the trailer up. Not must air flow to the furthest vent. I think you are right about the air cage being plugged. I have stood out by the vents and the burner is staying lit. The fan is running and the exhaust is blowing out. I will try and blow air into the lower vent. Thanks for your help.
Rockytop is offline   Reply With Quote