Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2011, 12:27 PM   #1

Heater Smell

I have a 2009 Salem 25RKS that I bought used last summer. The last couple of days I have been running the heater at night. When I go out to the trailer from the house in the morning there is a a smell of what I would describe as a propane "after burn" smell. Its not the smell of fresh propane. My propane detector appears to be working and has never gone off. I get the same smell occasionally from the propane heater in my home also.
My question is...is this normal?

After posting this same question in the Salem discussion I felt it would be more appropriate here.
Dan97471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:50 PM   #2

Dust accumulation in the air ducts or in the furnace it self will cause what you describe.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:12 PM   #3

Do you know for sure if the furnace was ever used before ?? If not it could be that "chamber paint " burning off
dretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:25 PM   #4

Its dust burning off... you are fine. We have a propane heater for our house and it does it each year after we turn it on for the first time...
DogandTrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:55 AM   #5

Well all answers were consistent so I wont worry about it two much...thanks for your help.
Dan97471 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, propane, smell